Explorer #2

JFC

i like it, what material is the inlay made out of?

The inlay is made of clear acrylic with a "mirror" bottom

Prorably melted some Low M.P. Alloy in a mould to get that inlay. Btw, how do you get that finish, did you use matte black? But when lacquer gets applied, doesn't it get shiny again?

I used nitro satin clear, its a flat clear kind of :D

Body: Mahogany

Neck: Mahogany

Fretboard: Ebony

Pickups: EMG 81, EMG 60

More pics here

I would love to build an explorer but don't have any plans for the body. Do you have anything you could email me?

The guitar is fabulous. Definitely one of the nicer guitars I've seen here. Very classy. I like the ebony board with the single inlay.

One thing though - why mount the pickups on rings? I see a lot of projects done this way in this forum. Why not simply screw the pickups directly onto the body?

:D

Edited by guitar2005

Body: Mahogany

Neck: Mahogany

Fretboard: Ebony

Pickups: EMG 81, EMG 60

More pics here

I would love to build an explorer but don't have any plans for the body. Do you have anything you could email me?

The guitar is fabulous. Definitely one of the nicer guitars I've seen here. Very classy. I like the ebony board with the single inlay.

One thing though - why mount the pickups on rings? I see a lot of projects done this way in this forum. Why not simply screw the pickups directly onto the body?

:D

I can mail my drawing, its a bit smaller than a standard explorer, more like the Explorer Pro.

On a guitar like this with the neckangle and all it would look really ugly to mount the pickups without rings, atleast in my eyes :D

Hey, great! I'm jelous now! I haven't (or don't want) started anything here. I got to get my self running in order to catch up.. lets see, I got a double cut and an explorer to get going again...hopefuly by spring, I thought I was going to be able to build during the winter but this darn surgery put me out a few weeks.

Anyway! I like this one! The only thing I don't like and as you know me already is the neck joint, but it is nice and you get all the access down the board, just that I like flowing lines better than tenons.

see you around!

Anyway! I like this one! The only thing I don't like and as you know me already is the neck joint, but it is nice and you get all the access down the board, just that I like flowing lines better than tenons.

see you around!

For the neck joint, I like it because its the way Gibson does it BUT in saying that, I agree with you. I'll build mine with a contoured joint to allow for better access, especially on a 24 fret neck. I may also go for a tenon that goes the entire width of the fretboard.

F.M.