New Myka Dragonfly

I never said I could do it better. I also never said it was worse than regular dots. I think it's better than normal and yes I probably couldn't do that. I was just pointing out the very few issues I had with that guitar. You know something is amazing when you can only find one or two flaws with it. I'm not bashing Myka at all. I think his stuff is absalutly stunning and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

But to say you can't critisize somethign because it's really good overall, or because I couldn't do it any better is just crazy.

Edited by Godin SD

Thanks for all the comments. I do appreciate it. This guitar is probably one of my favorite Dragonfly derivatives so far. The tap tone of the entire guitar is just incredible. The walnut/limba combo works great (my personal solidbody is made with these woods and has awesome tone). I have one more identical one-piece top left over and some matching limba. I am debating if I should make another one.

GodinSD, don't sweat it. Anyone can do a search and see that I always encourage criticism and welcome it. Whether it is praise or a flaw it is always helpful. You weren't being mean about it you were just being honest about what you think. I always appreciate that.

The truth is that the dots are not perfectly centered. My silver supply company stopped making the size I need and the new size doesn't fit perfectly. It actually doesn't look that off in person once they have been sanded (as Russ pointed out) but it is something I still need to address.

I will have final pictures posted of this guitar later next week. It is almost done. My last task is to make a new mounting bracket for the suspended pickup. The one riveted to it does not fit the width of my fingerboard at the end (it is about 3/16" smaller!). Fortunately I have a friend who does aluminum plating.

It should be a very cool guitar with some very unique tones. I'll do a write up here when I am finished.

~David

I will have final pictures posted of this guitar later next week. It is almost done. My last task is to make a new mounting bracket for the suspended pickup. The one riveted to it does not fit the width of my fingerboard at the end (it is about 3/16" smaller!). Fortunately I have a friend who does aluminum plating.

It should be a very cool guitar with some very unique tones. I'll do a write up here when I am finished.

~David

I want to see the pictures of it finished, keep us posted. Again, great work as usual Myka...

But to say you can't criticize something because it's really good overall, or because I couldn't do it any better is just crazy.

That's certainly correct. I don't think I expressed how I feel about that quite accurately. The thing was, that if you look at your previous post, it's pretty much only pessimism. How are we to interpret anything else from that? All I'm saying is you just have to be careful how your phrase some things.

Back on topic: Myka, who's supplying you with that silver? I'm inclined to buy a few rods. You really need to get cracking on your builds myka, you haven't updated that site in weeks. I'm in desperate need of some eye candy, because at the moment, I can't get any further on making my own eye candy.

peace,

russ

Myka, who's supplying you with that silver?

I was getting it here but the size is either too small or too large. I think I may go with this company instead and get the 2.11mm size and needle file it out to 2.38mm for the shell dots. I used to be able to get 2.30mm from TSI Inc. That was near perfect.

You really need to get cracking on your builds myka, you haven't updated that site in weeks.

I know, I know. I have 2 more Dragonfly Deluxes finishing up alongside this walnut topped one. I have 2 electrics that are just strarting (wood prep, etc), and I also have 3 really cool projects coming up. One is a client designed 335-ish guitar, another will be a flat topped semi-hollow, and the last will be a Maple/Padauk Sungazer with a 6 inline headstock and an all natural finish. So don't worry, you'll have your eye candy!

Edited by Myka Guitars

It's done! This guitar turned out great. I love the way it plays, and sounds. The single coil setup allows for some very Stratty tones including that position 2 quack. You can get serious country out of this one! It has a very smooth voice. The walnut is incredible wood and the limba just sings. After I strung it up I sat and played it for at least 2 hours the whole time trying to come up with a convincing excuse to keep it around for a few more days! But alas, it is shipping this afternoon.

The only thing I would change if it were mine is I would get rid of the floating pickup and put in my standard Bartolini with a pickup ring. Tonally I like the Shadow pickup but the design would have worked better for me. I just don't like the bracket I had to use.

48.jpg

Here is the gallery for more pics.

~David

hahahahahaha i was JUST about to say something along those lines before i scrolled down and saw your post :D

That ting is amazing... I dunno... I think this might be my favourite dragonfly to date. I'm not a huge singlecoil fan, so tonally I don't know. But that is just breath-taking!

Chris

PS: That fingerboard wood.... that's rediculously nice! Are you SURE that's rosewood (not that I'm questioning, that's more there for rhetoric :D )?!?! It SO red. I woulda thought it was a bois de rose (yeah... I know that's still a rosewood lol), or a really dark purpleheart/bloodwood.

Great guitar and wonderful craftmanship, though I can't help but think it would have looked that much better without the pickup rings. You seem to have a very 'stealthy' thing going with this one, trying to keep everything as clean as possible with the hidden controls and all, but the section between fretboard and bridge is too clogged up in my opinion...the exposed polepieces and the big logo on the floating pickup play a factor in that as well I guess.

I really like what you did with the controls and that walnut is killer!

Tim

Edited by onelastgoodbye

I can't help but think it would have looked that much better without the pickup rings. You seem to have a very 'stealthy' thing going....but the section between fretboard and bridge is too clogged up in my opinion.

I thought of this too. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is that the bridge height is 3/4". That means the pickups had to sit pretty high up so that they could be raised up enough. The bridge pickup is almost entirely above the level of the carved top. This could not have been done without the pickup rings. So all in all it works (and looks) pretty good.

I agree with you on the floating humbucker. Those brackets do not look too pleasing. There must be a better way to go about doing that(although that would be in the hands of the pickups manufacturer, not you, really).

I did think of something a little too late. If I had made a bracket that had a couple rods coming out of the end I could have inserted these into the end of the neck and have it really float. A set screw would have been enough to hold it. Even still, I would have had to remake the bracket and this one was riveted onto an epoxy sealed pickup. The risk of damage too great. SO you aer correct, it would have been in the hands of the manufacturer.

Now if only there were pickups that could mount underneath the top and still have the same tone...

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

Wow! That guitar is amazing!

I REALLY like the beauty of the wood, and the clean look without the controls on the top. The control location could take some getting used to for someone who wants to make alot of quick adjustments, but for someone who doesn't change the knobs much, (like me), it wouldn't be an issue.

Just when you think it can't get any better, Myka raises the bar again. Great stuff, as usual! :D