New Myka Dragonfly

I don't know how many of you have found this yet, cause I have never really ventured that far down the gallery list in awhile, but he has this dragonfly in progress that I just HAD to let ya'll know about. I think it may be the most gorgeous to date!

Walnut/Limba SSH DragonFly

I hope he doesn't mind me givin' the heads up on it (it was already on his site so I doubt it).

Chris

Just mind Blowing....

I have always seen guitars and when I see the finish, I go, oh nice, thats it, and move on...

But this is the first thread that I gaze for minutes upon each picture...

Then when it came to the finish, the clear just took me away...

And not to be embarrasing, but I actually collapsed and slipped off my seat in AWWEEE!

What clear does he use??? I hope its KTM-9!!! Cos I have a quart to use for my next assignment...!!! MYka is definatley a true craftsman!

the walnut had me fooled until the pic with the gloss, i was thinking why cover that sweet looking limba with that(besides the point its a hollowbody)? :D but its very pretty and nice figure, the neck joint is sweet too its gonna be a stunning piece!

Edited by scottyd

Holy shmokes.. wow..

K.. one thing that's REALLy confusing to me looking at the pics.

First he uses his template on the walnut, but if you can see, the top and bottom parts aren't perfectly round.

And this picture goes for a while.. (doo do da da doo do~~~~)

...and... AFTER the clamp, the guitar's perfectly round..

MAGIC? I think not...

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!! *yells at the dragonfly

---> in another words.. can anybody else explain this..?? :D

-IR :D

Edit: hah.. silly me kk i got it. thx

Edited by redwhiteandthemaple

Mykas work is just awesome. I get a boner everytime I see that neck-joint.

I concur. I do have a question about one of the pictures. In one of them, it shows a small piece of wood setting on the top, I'm guessing this is to show the strong bevel of the back/top. At least I think bevel is the right word. How is this technique done on such a thin piece of wood?

I concur. I do have a question about one of the pictures. In one of them, it shows a small piece of wood setting on the top, I'm guessing this is to show the strong bevel of the back/top. At least I think bevel is the right word. How is this technique done on such a thin piece of wood?

You are talking about the top, the carve is done on a solid piece of wood, this is not THIN piece here, he just carved the top and then carve the inside.

Edited by Maiden69

It does have binding. Look twenty four pictures from the top (it's a pic of the headstock) and you can see the binding clearly.

This guitars really cool but thers just three points I don't like about it. The pic Hi-Tone posted look at the right dot. The center dot isin't centerd in the outer ring. And I don't like how the neck tenon is exposed. Also in the tenth pic up from the bottom (and the one right above that) I don't like how the carve seems to have a dip in it where the neck meets the body on the treble side.

Edited by Godin SD

the neck tenon won't be exposed when he's done. If you look at the electronics he's putting on it, he's gunna add a "shadow suspended jazz pickup" which has two little bars that you use to attach it to either side of the neck so it floats above the top right up against the neck. That will cover the tenon. As for how he does the fret ends like that... go here:

http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/015/process.htm

and part way through you can see that he slots the fretboard, then adds a binding of the SAME wood material to the outside. Therefore the slots end, but it looks like it's the same piece of wood. However, I like the look of it too and the way that I achieve this is to use a normal fretboard and also file the tang ends like you would it the frets had to go over binding. Then, once all the frets are in, I create a paste of the fretboard wood's dust, and epoxy, or glue and stuff it in the holes... wait til they're dry and sand it flush. Although you CAN still see the "lines" a little, there are no holes on the side, you don't have to do the long process of Myka's classy way of binding it, and it looks close ENOUGH as to make it almost unnoticalbe.

Chris

The pic Hi-Tone posted look at the right dot. The center dot isin't centerd in the outer ring

Is that some kind of joke? It still looks better than normal side dots. In david's defence, I bet once he actually sanded the neck, it got rid of the metal burrs on the silver tubing and was centered.

The pic Hi-Tone posted look at the right dot. The center dot isin't centerd in the outer ring

Is that some kind of joke? It still looks better than normal side dots. In david's defence, I bet once he actually sanded the neck, it got rid of the metal burrs on the silver tubing and was centered.

Thanks for posting that. I was going to, but lately I've been using Fryovanni's Back Button Reply Technique. A lot. :D