Drivers: Automatic To Manual?

M_A_T_T

Switching from Automatic to Manual  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking into a buying new car this summer. Manuals seem to be about $1000 cheaper for the car I like. So I was wondering how difficult it is to go from 3 1/2 years driving an automatic to a manual. I learned on a auto, but my dad drives a manual and could probably teach me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to mention sticks are usually fast then autos

This is what a reviewer on Canadian Driver said about the car I'm looking at...another reason I may want a manual. :D

Myth. It takes a very talented and practiced driver in a manual transmission-equipped vehicle to outrun a similar vehicle with an automatic. Most pro-streeters don't even run a manual because it's easier to get a controlled launch and hookup with an automatic, anyway.

The gas mileage benefits are also pretty much gone with newer computer-controlled engines and transmissions. Most cars with a stick will now get lower fuel-economy because the drivers don't know how or refuse to drive them more economically than an auto.

Having said all that, I love manuals. There's just something about the whole shifting process and wrapping the car out at will on a country back road or a twisty pass that's just more satisfying.

Yeah, I have to disagree with the manual=faster idea. That's perpetuated by ricers who think they're seasoned F1 drivers. I had an automatic transmission in my 300zx which was never lacking in speed. I learned how to drive a manual in a twin turbo rx7. That had to be one of the best experiences I've had in a car (clothed, that is :D ).

I think it's really easy and if you can play guitar and have some coordination then you are perfectly fine. I had an auto for a couple years when I first started driving, then I got a new manual car, and bad timing had it my best friend from years back flew in to a town a fews hours away from me while on a skating tour, the same day I had taken my car home. So I got a ride home at 5pm asked my dad to show me how to drive stick went around the block a couple times, backed my bags and drove 3 1/2 hours through Los Angeles during rush hour stop and go traffic, by myself and had to go over some mountains with very curvy roads. So I think you'll be fine, with someone showing you how it works you should pick it up easy, takes a while to perfect and on hills you might want to start with the Ebrake method until you get the feel for the clutch, but other than that you should pick it up easy. J

it depends what kind of stick do you get in your car.

I drive street races here and there and i allways use stick! You have full controll over your speed that way. Offcourse if you have racing stick that is much better.

And driving with stick is as easy as automatic just clutch, shift and accelerate! lol

plus side is that you have faster responce between gears and there is no 2 sec waiting perion between baking up and first gear. And considering economical driving you can be more economical since you can drive about 30 miles in your 5 gear on just over 1000 rpm's.

Having said all that, I love manuals. There's just something about the whole shifting process and wrapping the car out at will on a country back road or a twisty pass that's just more satisfying.

I think all cars should be manual. Why? So people will be using their brain more while they drive AND they won't be doing stupid things such as putting on make up, or eating food. If you haven't seen that yet, then you're lucky but in Toronto it's almost becoming the norm at 8 am.

I don't drive yet but manual is definitly for you if you're right handed. My mom almost failed her driving tests back in the day because she was left handed lol.

-Jamie

Sorry man, but stick with the auto.

I learned to drive on a manual, it's no big deal. Especially if you ride a bike. It'll take you all of half a day to figure it out and get it smooth.

But here in France it's rare to find automatics, so I've been back to stick for the last few years. And it really sucks.

Okay, I admit it, I'm a relaxed, lazy driver type, don't give a hoot about being first off the line, and I could care less if a car full of punks passes me on the highway. But I just don't see the point of having to shift gears every two seconds --especially in traffic.

Tell you what--get into rush hour traffic just once with a stick and tell me you really prefer that to an automatic.

Besides, the last car I had in the States was an automatic with a V8...that car kicked some serious ass.

The wife recently bought a minivan (shudder) but at least it's automatic...I'm looking to change cars too now, and I'll definitely go automatic from now on.

I prefer automatics myself. But have no problems driving manual transmissions, its just that you need both hands and feet to drive. IMO, gas mileage depends on how you drive and how the car is set up to burn gas. A lot of people don't know this but, if driven properly, a 4-barrel carb uses less gas than a 2-barrel carb. The primary jets on a 2-barrel are bigger. When driving a 4-barrel you are only using the primary jets until you nail down the accelerator, that opens the secondaries.

I don't drive yet but manual is definitly for you if you're right handed. My mom almost failed her driving tests back in the day because she was left handed lol.

I'm left handed.

It's not difficult to learn. if you know how to ride a Motorcycle it's even easier because you know what the slipping clutch feels like already. My sister bought her first car without knowing how to drive a manual tranny. 10 minutes and she was on her way. of course she avoided hills like the plague for the first few weeks :D

of course she avoided hills like the plague for the first few weeks

Hills are ok, just don't stop on them. :D

The car is practically in neutral when out of gear, right?

You mean when the clutch is pushed all the way in? yes. So you have 3 pedals on the floor. Gotta let off the brake and hit the gas while letting off the clutch...before you roll too far backwards into the guy behind you. :D And its a real drag when you stall out and that guy behind you starts leaning on the horn while you try to get going. Happens to everyone. :D

of course she avoided hills like the plague for the first few weeks

Hills are ok, just don't stop on them. :D

The car is practically in neutral when out of gear, right?

Yes, when either the clutch is pushed in or the shifter is between gears, once you let off the brake, there is nothing to prevent the car from rolling backwards or forward.

See if you can rent a manual-equipped car or borrow a friend's and take it out for a day to learn to shift. Clutches and gears in brand-new cars tend to be a little more fragile and a little more intolerant of popping the clutch or shifting without clutching :D

I'm left handed.

same, but i think its a null point considering there are millions of righties driving rhd cars and millions of lefties driving lhd cars.

i think your mum is making excuses :D

Yeah, I've driven right-seat-drive Suzukis with sticks before and it's only taken me about 5 minutes to get used to shifting with my left-hand. Shifting is really the easy part--it's getting used to clutching that's a little tricky.

Three-on-the-tree is a little tougher than four-on-the-floor, though...

Yeah, I've driven right-seat-drive Suzukis with sticks before and it's only taken me about 5 minutes to get used to shifting with my left-hand. Shifting is really the easy part--it's getting used to clutching that's a little tricky.

On right seat drives is the pedal setup the same or is that backwards too?

Edited by jmrentis

On right seat drives is the pedal setup the same or is that backwards too?

Pedal setup is the same on modern vehicles. YMMV on antiques, regardless of being right or left hand drive.