My Vee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice, but i dont get why you didnt stick with the black and red theme with the hardware, pickups, bridge etc

• 2 months later...

after a refret and paint, it is done, kind of...still need my pups...hopefully the bill lawrence L500XLs arrive soon.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/Dis...quency/Vee1.jpg

vee2

vee3

for some reason it looks orange but i assure you its red, also, my cam had a hard time focusing. i couldnt get any good pics of it.

Pic is a too big, please resize and repost.

Edited by Maiden69

Cool!

Turned out really well!

• 2 weeks later...

Daaaaaamn.....

Man, what an awesome lookin' axe! It looks exactly like mine is going to turn out... except mine's an ESP explorer... and it'll be the direct opposite color scheme... with a TOM bridge... and black hardware...

But you get the point :D

I'm at the critical "bevel-carving-nail-biting" section of my build. I was wondering what method you used to do the bevels on the V. I started a thread looking for help, but nobody responded to mine :D

It came out reaaally nice, though. Seems like you've got more innate skillz than I do, hahaha

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Xanthus

for the bevels i just mesured on the body and drew lines where i wanted the two edges of the bevel to be, put masking tape for easier visibility and took a rasp and sanding block to it.

Thanks for the help, Rob! I'll try on a scrap piece first, just in case :D to see which method I like better, the rasp and sanding block, or a friend's spokeshave I was able to steal, heh.

-Xanthus

here it is finished. plays awsome sounds great.

final specs:

neckthru

25 1/2" scale

3 pc. maple neck

alder wings

rosewood fretboard

medium jumbo frets

24 frets

asymetrical neck profile, about .75" thick (fatter on bass side, skinnier on treble)

original floyd rose

Bill Lawrence USA L500XL pups

2 volume, 3-way switch

recessed strapbuttons (dunlop straplocks)

strung with di'adario 9's

looks great!

Looks awesome!! If people here liked pointy axes it could be the guitar of the month!!

hahahahahahaha, too true :D

That means I'll never win.

Ever.

I've said it before, but sweet guitar, and congrats on a solid build! The recessed straploks is an excellent idea! did you just drill a hole and screw them in?

-Xanthus

i will never wiin either!! hehehe i have enetered twice the guitar of the month contest with BC Rich Warlock copies...the minute someone enters either a superttrat or a Gibson/ PRS copy or based guitar that gets everybody votes :D hehehe, probably the guitar of the month should have one subcategory for pointy axes, if so, this one gets it, i wish teher were more of us who build heavy metal looking guitars :D

Very nice... but the head screams for a red logo!!!

yeah, i know what you mean. i couldnt decide on a logo so i left it blank. i can always add one later.

Looks awesome!! If people here liked pointy axes it could be the guitar of the month!! may i ask you what did you use to fret it?smile.gif

as in tools? i used a peice of wood covered in leather to bend the frets, then a plastic faced hammer and a lead filled, rubbercoated, dead blow hammer.

The recessed straploks is an excellent idea! did you just drill a hole and screw them in?

yes, but i did it before paint. if you try it make sure you make the holes a bit bigger for the paint and if you drill your strap button screw hole off slightly off center.

i dont think any of the guitars is build will win enless they have AAA+ quilted, burled, spalted, carved maple top, theres nothing wrong with that, its just not my thing really. someday i would like to make a bc rich bich neckthru: quilt top, ebony strigners, head plate and fretboard, 5 peice neck(flame maple, walut, ebony, walnut flame maple), mahogany body, hardtail with a million of those switches and knobs just like those really expensive ones. but, that i do not have the money for at this time. ill stick with veneers and opaque finishes.

thanks im surprised that my first build turned out so good.

bahh... you got the Bill Lawrence from StewMac..

You should've got it from http://www.billlawrence.com/

Although I have heard quite a ppl who actually prefer the Bill Lawrence USA over the Bill Lawrence..

Which I find quite amusing, but nonetheless.. it's all personal taste. I say how do you like its cleans vs heavy distortion?

i got the billl lawrence USA because thats the high gain pup. i dont use clean ever. i like my "clean" semi dirty like blues dirty or rockabilly clean as that is the only thing i play thats not metal and/or shred. and dont beleive all the stuff you hear until you try it ive tryed both and i like the BLUSA way more. and it doesnt squeal like they say it does. plus nuno and dime used BL USA not the other guy.

• 1 year later...

Well, i refinished the gutiar because i was very dissatisfied with the water based finish stew mac sells. too soft and doesnt buff out so nice. this time around i used behlens nitro, very nice this time and i learned to take decent pics. i also added some coil taps, a logo, thinned the neck just a touch, and moved the jack fron the lower horn to the top and used a fender style jack.

maybe now ill put in for GOTM!

Final Specs:

25 1/2" scale

3 pc. maple neck and an alder body

Rosewood fretboard w/ 24 jumbo frets

Compound radius 10-14

Nitro Finish

Asymetrical neck profile

Original Floyd Rose

Bill Lawrence USA L500XL pups

2 volume, 3-way switch, and coil shunt for both pups

recessed strapbuttons (dunlop straplocks)

strung with di'adario 9's

Body 2 is the actual color, i just thought Body 1 looked cooler. :D

DSCF0600-1.jpg

Hardware

Body 2

Full

Heel

Headstock Front

Headstock Back

Progress pics can be found here Distorted_Frequency