An Sg For My Son

I'm building an SG style guitar for my middle son. He lives in Melbourne, Australia and we are going to visit him in two weeks. Can't wait - 3 weeks in Oz. :D

I'm trying to complete the guitar before I go. If I can't, hopefully the finish will be complete and I'll do the rest with him while I am there. Over a few beers and a barbeque of course. :D

The guitar is based on an SG, mahogany body and neck with a big leaf maple drop top to add a bit of figure. I tried to finish the color in a traditional SG heritage cherry and I wanted the figure to be somewhat subdued under the color. The fretboard is ebony and it has an ebony headplate.

This is my second guitar to make. It has many firsts for me: first top over a base wood, first set neck, first block inlays, first custom inlay in the headstock, first toner coat, etc, etc. He wants an SG Standard style pickguard on it, and only wanted one volume and one tone control. It has a 3 way switch and the jack is in the end. It will have Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck (what a concept!).

Here is a pic from a couple of weeks ago after a flash coat of nitro. It needs to be sanded out and buffed.

More pics to come if I get it completed.

P1010718a.jpg

Hyunsu, thank you. Your comments mean a lot to me. I have watched your work with admiration. I have copied your comments and posted them in my work room. For example, you once said "guitar making is always happy work". I agree. :D

Here is a pic of the body just cut out, and a few more pics.

SGflame.jpg

And a few more pics (hopefully, I did this correctly).

heel

neck

front

back

headstock and inlay

fretboard

fretboard2

test stringing

color

Awww beautiful...now why cant gibson do that!

P1010696.jpg

Not that it looks bad, but no inlay on the first fret? I love the logo inlay too, nice!

My first guitar was an Ibanez SG with three humbuckers...I'd love one like this with 3 p90's and a bigsby :D

Good work...and have fun down here, though now the games are over we have turned off the weather...still if you like autumn the trees are all going into colour...enjoy... pete

Guys, thanks.

Pete, Gibson makes an SG Supreme with a figured top, although strangely enough not in the classic cherry color. This is partly why I decided to make this guitar the way I did. Sort of a cross between an SG Standard or SG Classic and an SG Supreme.

Gibson SG Supreme

I've never seen an SG with an inlay at the first fret, even with dot inlays. Guess I could have done that to make it different.

Looking forward to getting to Melbun. :D

P1010577.jpg

I like yours better...hmmm, I've never noticed that on the first fret inlay on SG's, you're right...except on my old one and my LP custom...odd, still :D

You should do a fashion shoot and enter GOTM...can't get enough guitars around here lately, could do well!

Gratuituous opportunity to post another pic...nice heel BTW... pete

That is one mighty fine looking guitar :D

When I get my Les Paul done, an SG will be my next project

Enjoy your holiday here in Oz

If you get time, go to The Dome or The G and check out an Aussie Rules game

It would be interesting to see what you have to say about our code of football B)

dayvo :D

Thanks for all the support guys. B)

I thought to enter something into GOTM, it had to be a guitar. Right now, its only a guitar body. :D

Some answers:

Thunderblitz - its regular old celluloid nitrate binding on the neck and headstock. White, single ply.

Maiden, I know what you mean. The "design" of this guitar evolved over time. My son requested an SG Standard or Special, cherry red with the black pickguard, etc (basically the School of Rock guitar as Fatalities points out). After playing around, I decided to add the maple top and ebony fretboard. He still wants the big black pickguard, so I left it at 22 frets. I located the best figure in the maple on the bottom part of the guitar so it will remain visible after the pickguard is on. Its a fair question as to whether this will all work or not.

Oi Dayvo, I like Aussie Rules. I barrack for Richmond. Alas, my misguided son barracks for Collingwood. :D

Screwdelulu, I did spray the finish. I'm not an experienced finish guy. My son has some automotive painting experience and he helped me get started with the modest equipment that I have. Also, I bought Stewmac's finishing book and video. It has several recipes in it for SG Red, so I experimented a little since I had two different color woods. In the end, this is what I came up with. I sprayed a vinyl sealer on the mahogany parts, then filled the pores using a walnut brown pore filler. This left the pores filled and darkened the mahogany. I dyed the maple walnut brown using Colortone dye in alcohol, then sanded it back. I rubbed some of the pore filler over the maple top - it didn't fill anything but did stain the wood a similar color to the mahogany. I made a transparent cherry toner using cherry red Colortone dye in nitrocellulose lacquer and sprayed two coats followed by a coat of clear nitro to lock in the color. After that, it was a matter of spraying multiple coats of clear nitro, drying, sanding and polishing. This is basically the process recommended by Stewmac's book but modified a bit after testing on scrap.

Here is a pic of the body after spraying the vinyl sealer.

P1010635.jpg

Here is a pic after applying the walnut pore filler.

Here is a pic after dying the top with walnut brown (although it looks black)

Here is a pic after sanding back the top.

Here is a pic after rubbing the top with walnut pore filler and wiping it off. The whole guitar now has a fairly consistent brown color.

Here is a pic after spraying the second coat of cherry red toner. My test pieces indicated the cherry color alone came out a bit red, so I added a couple of drops of walnut brown dye to the mixture. Came out pretty close to what I wanted.

Thanks again for your support. This forum has been very helpful to me in this project. Cheers.

Well, I did a bit of polishing and put the hardware on the SG. Everything went on pretty smoothly. Now I'll begin with the electronics and hopefully complete that early enough tomorrow to go though a preliminary setup. Only one week to go before I leave for Australia. I might make it. :D

Here is a pic of the headstock with tuners (Gotoh Keystone style) installed and truss rod cover on. It's a Gibson cover but upside down as the top of the cover matches the shape of the headstock top.

P1010733.jpg

Here is a pic of the guitar as it stands now. The sun went behind a cloud so the guitar looks a little purple. That's a TonePros TOM and tailpiece. I haven't removed the protective cover from the pickguard yet.

clicky

I'll post more pics tomorrow if I make further progress.

Thanks for looking.

You know, there is one parameter by which I judge my own work, and that is, if I walked into a music store, and saw one of my guitars hanging there side-by-side next to JEM's and all like that, that I would want to pick my guitar out from all the others and take it home.

You sir, have met that challenge and -then- some, you did a beautiful job on it, it is drop dead gorgeous.

The emoticons are not working for me tonight, else I would give it the coveted 'Drak 5' award :D

Fo' sure. That axe beats the hell out of any stock SG I've seen on the wall anywhere. I like the "players" upgrades too, like the simplified 1-tone, 1-vol setup and the football jack on the side where it's stronger. The JB/Jazz combo certainly doesn't hurt either, although I've been on a nickel-cover kick for some reason lately. All in all, she looks good, plays good, and sounds good, it's all good!

Your son better come up with a great Father's Day present, or take you to a lot of cool places in Australia to get you back! Good stuff.