Balsa Wood Guitar

Is it possible or has a guitar made from balsa wood been made?

If there was it would seriously be the lightest guitar in the world.

Also the weakest :D

Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top had one made for him by Robin Guitars.

Balsa wood is very soft and can dent with a press of the fingernail,

so it was covered with spruce to protect the Balsa, also, Balsa, is

a very open pore wood so it will be very annoying to finish.

Lightwieght to me isn't everything, you would barely feel the guitar

leaving an unatural playing style. Using balsa wood IMHO won't

bring the feel of playing the guitar to the player. Its simply not

right! Btw, have you researched whether Balsa would be a good

tonewood? Because there is a big difference between

Koa and MDF. lol :D

What would you use the balsa for? Neck or body? I see no problem with a “hardwood”-balsa -“hardwood sandwich for body (maybe with a hardwood rim) EXCEPT for one thing; neck pocket (or neck gluing area). I can’t see any practical use of balsa in necks. You will have to “cap” the balsa on three sides and cover it with a fret board. Then you have nowhere to glue the truss rod. I believe that a truss rod inserted into a balsa neck would crush the surrounding balsa.

OK, so now we have a standard neck and a hardwood-balsa sandwich body with glued in sections of hardwood (neck pocket, possibly tremolo surroundings, maybe pickup cavities, rims and so on). Looks like a lot of hardwood patching to do to get some balsa into the “wings” of the guitar.

It would be interesting to hear the guitar (if someone else would make it) but I would use a solid basswood body instead. Much less work

Balsa IIRC is actually classed as a hardwood and yet Pine is a softwood.

The names hardwood and softwood dont relate directy to them being soft or hard. IIRC the difference is deciduous/ evergreen (?)

Balsa is softer than pine. I'm certain of that.

The names hardwood and softwood dont relate directy to them being soft or hard. IIRC the difference is deciduous/ evergreen (?)

Correct. From wikipedia:

The term hardwood designates wood from angiosperm trees. Hardwood contrasts with softwood, which comes from conifer trees.

Angiosperm= flowering, fruiting plants.

Conifer= cone-bearing trees.

Balsa is softer than pine. I'm certain of that.

Probably on par with the white pine i used for mine (I can crush the fibers very easily with my fingernail).....I still say with the right engineering anything is possible.

On a side note the floor on a C6 covette is balsa and carbon fibre

On a side note the floor on a C6 covette is balsa and carbon fibre

You're close. The RPO-Z06 is the model with the carbon fiber/balsa sandwich floor. It also features a hydroformed aluminum frame as opposed to the steel frame of the non-Z06 C6 and Cadillac XLR, and a magnesium engine cradle, as well as CF front fenders. A truly amazing machine for only $65 large.

Edited by crafty

What would you use the balsa for? Neck or body? I see no problem with a “hardwood”-balsa -“hardwood sandwich for body (maybe with a hardwood rim) EXCEPT for one thing; neck pocket (or neck gluing area). I can’t see any practical use of balsa in necks. You will have to “cap” the balsa on three sides and cover it with a fret board. Then you have nowhere to glue the truss rod. I believe that a truss rod inserted into a balsa neck would crush the surrounding balsa.

OK, so now we have a standard neck and a hardwood-balsa sandwich body with glued in sections of hardwood (neck pocket, possibly tremolo surroundings, maybe pickup cavities, rims and so on). Looks like a lot of hardwood patching to do to get some balsa into the “wings” of the guitar.

It would be interesting to hear the guitar (if someone else would make it) but I would use a solid basswood body instead. Much less work

+1. That would be a VERY neck-heavy guitar. Doesn't sound like much fun to play.

if the floor of a c6 was made out of balsa wood, just putting one foot in would snap it.

Sandwich construction.

Ever been on a commercial airplane? Most floor panels are sandwich panels. Typical construction uses fiberglass face sheets and honeycomb core. The honeycomb core is mostly air, with sheets of aluminum foil or aramid "paper" folded and glued to form a honeycomb.

The honeycomb does the same thing the balsa would do in a Corvette floor, carry shear loads and keeps the bending loads in the face sheets. All by itself, you could crush the honeycomb between your fingers.

You might have noticed, the last time you flew, that very few people (if any) broke the floor and fell into the cargo hold. This includes very large heavy passengers or women in high heels that put their entire weight on an area the size of a pool cue tip.