A New Explorer Design

newdesign.jpg

Ok I just came up with this one after I saw a guitar that Nitefly SA made up Now cleary this one came out nothing like his ( I just Cant NOT do a pointy design :D ) anyway I really like how this design is starting off life now there are a few thing I may want to rework LIKE the base of the fretboard (Its a bit to long)

and the placement of the Volume and tone and Im also not sure if I want to add bevels to this design

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Reminds me a lot of a Jackson Kelly body, but more evil looking. :D You said that you don't like the fingerboard being so long, but I think it looks really cool with it cut and sticking out like that.

newdesign.jpg

Ok I just came up with this one after I saw a guitar that Nitefly SA made up Now cleary this one came out nothing like his ( I just Cant NOT do a pointy design B) ) anyway I really like how this design is starting off life now there are a few thing I may want to rework LIKE the base of the fretboard (Its a bit to long)

and the placement of the Volume and tone and Im also not sure if I want to add bevels to this design

if you're talking about the one he posted in my thread, his is just a slight variation on my design, so really it's more based on my design than his :D

if you're talking about the one he posted in my thread, his is just a slight variation on my design, so really it's more based on my design than his

MEH :D its all good the olny thing on my design thats close to being the same is maybe the fretboard :D

any bet , emgs right?

Im not sure yet but ya its a good bet

How do you do the faded bevels that brew mentioned, similar to the ones on a Rhodes? I can't find a single thing on how to do it.

I would say a rasp sand paper and patience.

Yep thats the best way :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Bevel-wise I think this could look pretty cool:

mm24.jpg

also it would probably be comfier for your right arm

EDIT:

I also agree with setch that the shape could benefit from a litle tweaking.

Also have you seen this before: (scroll down- its the first guitar on the page)

http://www.jhs.co.uk/metalaxxe.html

cos your design reminds me of it

Edited by Ben

I like the design. Did you try sketching one up with the ESP Explorer type rear. Where it curves in instead of out. Might make it look more point. Or could just make it look bad, but just a minor thought. I would absolutely go with the faded bevels. I also like the idea of only one control and recessed into the body a litte. Maybe use a concentric pot if you want both controls.

newbeveld123.jpg

Im not sure If I like it with Bevels or not

I think I like a simple Bevel on this one

Now that you've drawn it up I think I agree

I still thing somethings a little iffy about that pointy horn/cutaway area, I just cant put my finger on the problem :D

What's the story up the headstock end? any ideas yet?

Thats A real hard one :D the head stock could Kill the look of this axe if its not just right

but im thinking that some kind of a revirse hockey stick thing but EVIL looking