Build #2

pukko

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!

I was disappointed when I saw you'd painted it flat red, but I've changed my mind now, it looks awesome!

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS MATE, HAVE A SLAP ON THE BACK!

Thanks!

Ben Posted Today, 01:34 AM

Cool!

I was disappointed when I saw you'd painted it flat red, but I've changed my mind now, it looks awesome!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! Why were you disappointed at first? Did you want it to be a different colour? What colour in that case? I really like to hear different opinions on it, I tend to get stuck in one way of thinking, so it helps to hear what others think when they see a design.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! Why were you disappointed at first? Did you want it to be a different colour? What colour in that case? I really like to hear different opinions on it, I tend to get stuck in one way of thinking, so it helps to hear what others think when they see a design.

I was disappointed cos it looked so good natural, but now I think red was a good idea, it looks great.

I quite like the black too btw, but i prefer red

That's freakin ace! Congrats

Thanks!

Ben Posted Today, 04:02 PM

I was disappointed cos it looked so good natural, but now I think red was a good idea, it looks great.

I quite like the black too btw, but i prefer red

Yep, I'm glad I chose the red colour now, I think it turned out like I wanted it to.

That is ALL done with spray cans? Incredible! And the binding came out so clean, much better than my first pinstriping experience. What was your method to get the paint so well, just patience? How many cans did you end up going through?

Yep, all cans. I'm using cheap car repair spray cans from one of the biggest chain of stores for that stuff in Sweden. This paint is actually not that great, the reason I'm using it is that you can choose between a lot of different shades of colour. I have now been told about a company that fills spray cans with any car colour you want, I'm going to check that out. Higher quality on those, I'm sure.

I sprayed the clearcoat from the same brand of paint as a primer, sanded that even, and then sprayed the red. I figured it was safer to use the same type of paint so there wouldn't be any weird reactions between paint layers. I have sanded the red now and will start clearcoating the whole thing with cellulose laquer spray cans this weekend (I hope...).

I painted it in two steps. First I did the back, so I masked the top and binding and sprayed everything else.

After that, I took the masking off and masked everything but the top. I didn't put any tape on the binding on the top, just on the sides. I figured it would be easier to scrape the binding clean afterwards than to try and mask that thin top edge nicely. It worked fine. I think I used 2 1/2 cans of paint because it doesn't cover too well. If I had used paint that covers better, I might have needed only 1 to 1 1/2 cans.

That is ALL done with spray cans? Incredible! And the binding came out so clean, much better than my first pinstriping experience. What was your method to get the paint so well, just patience? How many cans did you end up going through?

Yep, all cans. I'm using cheap car repair spray cans from one of the biggest chain of stores for that stuff in Sweden. This paint is actually not that great, the reason I'm using it is that you can choose between a lot of different shades of colour. I have now been told about a company that fills spray cans with any car colour you want, I'm going to check that out. Higher quality on those, I'm sure.

I sprayed the clearcoat from the same brand of paint as a primer, sanded that even, and then sprayed the red. I figured it was safer to use the same type of paint so there wouldn't be any weird reactions between paint layers. I have sanded the red now and will start clearcoating the whole thing with cellulose laquer spray cans this weekend (I hope...).

I painted it in two steps. First I did the back, so I masked the top and binding and sprayed everything else.

After that, I took the masking off and masked everything but the top. I didn't put any tape on the binding on the top, just on the sides. I figured it would be easier to scrape the binding clean afterwards than to try and mask that thin top edge nicely. It worked fine. I think I used 2 1/2 cans of paint because it doesn't cover too well. If I had used paint that covers better, I might have needed only 1 to 1 1/2 cans.

Biltema?

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm just waiting for the lacquer to dry completely, I tried making some pickup rings from aluminium. They obviously need much more sanding and polishing before I send them to the guy that chromeplates them, but you get the basic idea. I'm thinking about some small changes to the shape to make them a little more personal, but I haven't decided what to do yet.

DSC02165.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/pukko2/DSC02172.jpg

How long did it take you to make them, Pukko? That's some fantastic work.

Thanks! It took a couple of hours, but the aluminium is really easy to work with. I'm making a jackplate with the same shape (except for the hole for the pickup of course) to get a little continuity in the hardware design. Lots of chrome on this one...

Man thats looking good. I love how you think about all the details. It's what seperates the good builders from the great builders. and your deffinitly on your way! :D

I'm liking the guitar so far. The only thing I would have done diffrent is to spray the stain onto the back of the neck insted of wiping it on. It makes it look far less blotchy.

Edited by Godin SD

Man thats looking good. I love how you think about all the details. It's what seperates the good builders from the great builders. and your deffinitly on your way! :D

I'm liking the guitar so far. The only thing I would have done diffrent is to spray the stain onto the back of the neck insted of wiping it on. It makes it look far less blotchy.

Thanks a lot, glad you like it!

About the stain: I don't have access to a real spray gun, that's also why it's painted with rattle cans. Another reason to why I wiped it on is that I used a darker stain first, sanded that back a bit and then wiped on the lighter stain. The stain does look a little strange i the picture of the unfinished neck and body, especially in the middle laminate. I added some more stain after that pic, and now it looks like this, clearcoat added, crappy photographer:

neckback.jpg

• 2 months later...

No updates here for a long time, I haven't done too much with it for a while but now I've started again. Here's what it looks like now:

DSC02522.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/pukko2/DSC02514.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/pukko2/DSC02515.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/pukko2/DSC02520.jpg