Which Tune-o-matic Should I Buy...?

Hey!

I'm about to buy a TOM bridge and stoptail piece for the explorer that I'm building.

Does anyone have any suggestion to what I should buy, why, and where..?

I see they have black Gotoh at warmoth, and it seems really cheap there too, which is kinda what makes me concerned, why are they so cheap compared to others. I find it really strange that a company like StewMac doesn't deliver Goto TOM in black, and Warmoth do.

Is TonePro something that I should go for..? Large post or small post..?

I'd appreciate any input.

thank you!

I just bought one of Wilkinson's roller style TOMS. they have an almost squarish look to them? Kinda cool. And wilkinson/gotoh are both liscenced for essentially the same products by the same people from what I hear... so I imagine they're both alrrighty. But I guess I'll see in a couple days. As far as TOMs go... I don't think you can really screw up... as long as nothing rattles I think you're pretty set.

Chris

To be honest, you can't really go wrong with any tonepros, schaller or gotoh hardware. They all make pretty decent quality stuff. Gotoh are in the slightly cheaper range for some items (like TOM's) but i doubt very much you'd tell much difference between the three (except the locking bits on the tonepros).

I've got a gotoh Floyd waiting to go into a new guitar and its really nice quality.

S

tonepros is such a ripoff.... I think there really has to be something wrong with people that are willing to fork over that much money for a GOTOH bridge with setscrews.... Yes you read that right... tonepros IS that same inexpensive GOTOH bridge with a few screws added.... dont believe me? Buy one, and read the name brand on the underside..... :D

tonepros is top notch for marketing hype...... but get the inexpensive GOTOHS..... Even though they are cheap, they are good. Jackson uses them for their TOM models. Use it, and be happy.... then laugh at tonepros and the absurd amount of money they charge for their expertise in using a thread tap.... :DB)

Fool that I am, I'm willing to pay more if, in fact, it will the performance of the guitar (even a little). I am not trying to supporting either side, just let each side be heard. I thought this was an interesting comment.

post Jul 21 2004, 10:06 PM

Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Blues Tribute Group

Member No.: 1366

I like the TonePros, although they are pricey for what you get. It is an OEM tune-o-matic with tapped set screws. That's it for the extra $50. You are paying for the patented idea. If you are making your own guitar (not to sell) then you can add set screws to a regular TOM bridge. Since I am selling most of the guitars I build I get the TonePros. It not only adds sustain but the transfer of vibrational energy is enhanced because of the elimination of excess slop in the bridge/post joint.

I tested this and setup my first TonePros wihout setting the screws and played it for a bit. Then I locked the screws. There was a noticeable increase in sustain and the overall harmonic content of the guitar. I use the TonePros all the time now.

--------------------

www.mykaguitars.com

The primary difference being David is selling a custom built, high-end guitar to a high-end crowd, besides he will recoup all the money he spent on a Tone Pro and then some (profit picture), and on an instrument of that grade, it should have the best, no doubt about it. I would believe it actually helps him sell guitars, the fact that he can advertise that he uses a premium bridge like that.

BUT, when it comes to Joe Typical Guitar Builder Consumer paying premium retail rates buying one at a time with no 'builder discounts', that huge additional price is something to seriously consider before you decide what you're going to buy.

I've been listening to regular TOM bridges on regular guitars for 30 freakin' years, and they sound just fine to me. Do you have a problem with every Les Paul guitar tone you've ever heard on a record since electric guitars have been recorded throughout time? Think about that for a few minutes...

And if you consider the typical crowd we play to here, the hobbyist building ones and twos and threes, David, although he produces gorgeous guitars, is in the vast minority here when we consider why we should buy a Tone Pros bridge, we typically have different agendas and issues than he does.

There are premium components out there that should be sought after, and others that should be avoided.

The secret is in the knowledge you have as an experienced builder as to where to put your money and where to not, even if it does what it says it does, it is not always necessary to use it.

Example: Vintique. Same story...enhanced sustain, enhanced tone, bla bla bla bla bla...

Some people are quite happy paying like $200.00 for a bridge and custom neckplate, but truthfully, to get genuine Telecaster tone, all one needs is the stock $8.00 Fender stamped steel bridgeplate.

And I've read all the reviews of increased sustain and all that stuff.

Personally, I swear to God, increased sustain, those two words, are responsible for more product profit than probably everything else combined together, it is some sort of artificial tonal mantra used by the masses...and honestly, I consider increased sustain to be a MINIMAL AT BEST part of the overall tonal pallette of a really good guitar. It has it's place, but it's just a part of the picture, that's all.

The difference is who understands this fact, and who doesn't, who spends the big bucks because of fear, and who spends the big bucks because they really really understand what it is they want.

Same exact thing with Tone Pros Bridges and tailpieces.

I'm not saying don't buy quality goods or expensive hardware, what I'm saying is do your homework so you know exactly what it is you're buying, and don't buy something simply because it touts 'increased sustain'. When I see those words, my red flag goes up every single time, or I just avoid those words and read past them.

Another view to readjust the scales of justice. :D

Edited to add:

You want to know how to get Tone Pro sound for no extra money? The 'poor man's Tone Pro bridge?

Spread your bridge posts out an extra 1/32" or maybe 1/64", -just- so that the bridge just doesn't 'plop' on there loosely as it would normally do, but it is met with a bit of friction, and whala! Instant Tone Pro lockdown bridge that will not vibrate at all.

I found this out by mistake when installing my very first TOM bridge, I drilled them a TAD too far apart. The bridge went on fine, but I had to force it -just- a little, and that bridge was solid as solid could possibly be...by mistake...

:D:DB)

I swear to God, increased sustain, those two words, are responsible for more product profit than probably everything else combined

Tru dat. I mean really, how many whole notes get played these days? Let alone notes that ring out for more than a measure...

I've got a couple of songs that I can think of where I need a note to last an entire measure or more and let me tell you, my Les Paul does sustain longer for that note than my Ibanez Jem, Godin LGX or Fender Strat.

NO tone pros on the LP though - it has the original ABR-1 bridge and the tailpiece leans forward. Mahogany Neck with ebony board.

Edited by guitar2005

I think most of the marketing is hype on hardware to be honest. I mean the only advantage of tonepros locking hardware i can see is that it doesnt fall off or move when you remove the strings. Hmmmm....

I mean, i use hipshot tremolos. Not due to all this bearing edge crap. I tried one i got cheap and it performed better than similar priced gotoh or schaller units. so i stuck with it. My advice to people is to try this stuff out. Then you'll know if something is worth the extra money or not. Same goes for pickups and pots etc. Especially cables!! the amount of sh1t going round about certain cable maunfacturers is amazing.

But hey... just my opinion.

S

Speaking of TOM's, can anybody compare the regular ABR-1 type tom vs the Schaller roller type for me, please? I'm about to install a ghost tom on a custom les paul-ish guitar, and I'm very familiar with the ABR-1 (which I have on my other lp's) and love it in terms of performance, but I like the roller look better and never dealt with one..Thoughts?

On the TOM issue, not all are created equal! And there are the ones that are created equal but are sold at twice the price (3 times sometimes) by different stores. I have a 7string guitar that I used a TOM, and this thing rattled like crazy, so Idecided to buy a "better one! Ths one I got first was fron GPD at $17, and the second one I buy in WD and it cost $47. Guess what! They are the same bridge!!! To include all the stampings on the bottom... So beware what you buy!

The Stew Mac is OK, I got that on my gold strat, but I don't like it too much because I like to recess the TOMs and this one the posts are wider than the bridge and it looks off!

I haven't used a TonePros but i have had one in my hands and there is a difference in weight and construction from the gotoh one! Feels heavier and no matter how much I moved the saddles I got no rattle like the one in my gotoh!

Now will it increase sustain or not, I don't know, I can't complain from the sustain I got with my gotoh, so... it all depends on what you want! And the price that you are willing to pay!

Ok, justa couple of days before I am going to order, som I'm putting up a few links to have a few comments.

Does anyone have an opinion on these? They look like what I want,

but they suffer from the name.. hehe..

Dirtcheap TOM

Perhaps this one...

New style Nashville

With this stop bar...

Stop tail piece

Or this one with the above stop bar.

Tuneomatic black

What do you guys think?

I don't know if this is the cheapest place to buy, shipping and all, but it seems ok to me...

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i never saw this topic before...but you made the right choice.the tone pros tom is very expensive...but it is the bast i have found.it is made from better material(thats why it is heavy like maiden said) and the tolerances are much tighter.

if you are creating a guitar that you want to be the best it can be...then tone pros is the right tom.

those cheaper ones are absolute crap imo