The Blue Dragonfly

Hey all. I just finished up a pretty unique project that I wanted to share with you. It has become known as 'The Blue Dragonfly' and was a very intense and creative collaboration with a client of mine. We really had fun with this one and the result is a pretty darn cool guitar. The construction is fairly standard Dragonfly stuff with the addition of a veneered top over solid carved spruce and a wicked cocobolo back. Tonally it is very much like the standard Dragonflies with some added sparkle and shimmer in the high end most likely due to the rosewood back (which is still 3/8" thick). Oh, and it has soft maple sides. I wired this one differently as well with a volume and tone for each pickup and a series/parallel push/pull switch in each tone. This works very nicely for a wide range of tones. This one is on it's way to New Zealand this afternoon (sniff...).

Here is a pic:

56.jpg

For some more images click here.

To see some process pictures click here.

This one is the first of a few to come out of the laboratory over the next couple of days. These represent an end of an era and will be the last Myka guitars built in NY (at least for now). I have another very unique guitar coming up to help commemorate the event (I know, I know. I am just moving the shop). I'll post it when it is done.

Enjoy!~

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

:D!!WOW!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

ditto on all the above. love it

Patience, suicidecustom. They are coming up in the next couple days. Just hold on a bit longer....

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I really had fun with this one and I am happy that you are all enjoying it. I can see a series of these coming out in different color schemes. Just might have to do that one of these days.

Godin, I am moving back to the Pacific Northwest to Seattle, WA. I will be expanding the shop to about 800sqft (more than double what I have now). It will be pretty nice to have some room to spread out a bit. I am tired of always having work around the hot water tank :D

Back to the shop so I can finish these up and start packing.

Later,

~David

Duh-aaaaamm that's pretty. I'm not usually one for stains, but I believe blue guitars have their own special place in guitars (there was that one book, I recall). Even so I've always thought it's hard to pull off, but that... that... that is exceptional.

Once again you've created another truly inspiring build with great detail. Did I mention the fine detail ? :D Congratulations to you, David and the lucky kiwi waiting by the mailbox :D

cheers, Stu