Amplifier Progress

there is alot to be said for high end handmade amps.

+1

I would buy one of Perrys amps in a heartbeat if I had the cash. Even the amp I built is better than the ones you get in the store. I'm thinking of making another crack at it, probably something more complicated with channel switching and the like.

Building amps is fun. I hope yours turns out well for ya Perry :D :D

oh is this another boutique 'oh look what i've got' amp ?

I wonder if you've ever even played a "boutique" amp. I have heard a bogner, tophat, THD bivalve (not handmade, but still nice) and they all sounded 10x better than any "normal" amp you get in the average guitar store.

Yep, frustrating as hell to learn all the required knowledge to build one from scratch, but very very satisfying too. The satisfaction of having someone drop $1000 on the counter as a deposit for an amp that was only finished 45 minute prior, was amazing, especially when i hadnt even worked out if i wanted to build them, or even what it cost me... Ive sold guitars literally within an hour of stringing them up, but that never felt like this. Ive always dreamed of having a own handbuilt guitar, with my own pickups, through my own stomp boxes, into my own amplifier and speaker cab. Slowly getting there B)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow that's a nice sounding amp Perry. I have been amp shopping heavily the last few weeks looking at every single maker out there regardless of price and this one is up there with the top. It also just happens to have the exact sound I was looking for although it's just a tad Fendery (compared to what i was after). This sound is very similar to Jeff Kollman, who I think has the best tones on the planet. Sweeeeet.

Ive always dreamed of having a own handbuilt guitar, with my own pickups, through my own stomp boxes, into my own amplifier and speaker cab. Slowly getting there :D

Well weve definately seen guitars, the odd stompbox and now some amps - - - - is it going to be pickups next!!

. . .

Or maybe leads :wink:

Why leads? The best he can do there is buy someone else's wire and someone else's 1/4" plugs and solder them together. There are so many sites that do this already...then again, there's not a doubt in my mind that if perry sells it, some of his loyal customers will most assuredly buy it. Easy money by anyone's standards. I was given some $80 german cable(the brand escapes me) by someone I did some work for; honestly, I couldn't hear the difference(I was happy about that...means I can keep using my cheap monster cables with a smile on my face).

Anyhow, nice work so far, perry. I like the dovetail joints on the sides and top. Are you going to just leave everything with a natural finish or offer some funky finishes and vinyl options as well?

peace,

russ

All wood, cause we like wood around here. Slight "vintage" stain, thats all.

The funky colours and tolex are reserved for the next model, which is very close to being finished, although not entirely my own design. I borrowed a schematic, and have heavily modded it. It hasnt been fired up yet, so who knows if it will work yet...

Well, if you're just getting into amps, I'd say heavily moddifying proven designs is probably the way to go. I can't imagine it being very easy to design an amp from scratch without a very strong electronics background. A decent amp background will have you modding the daylights out of an older design in no time though.

So perry, is the first model getting a tweed grill? I can't imagine anything else going quite as well with a slightly ambered wooden shell.

Or maybe leads :wink:

Why leads? The best he can do there is buy someone else's wire and someone else's 1/4" plugs and solder them together. There are so many sites that do this already...then again, there's not a doubt in my mind that if perry sells it, some of his loyal customers will most assuredly buy it. Easy money by anyone's standards. I was given some $80 german cable(the brand escapes me) by someone I did some work for; honestly, I couldn't hear the difference(I was happy about that...means I can keep using my cheap monster cables with a smile on my face).

Hence the wink - twas a little joke- admittedly not that funny

... actually, as a 'nice idea' for the first one sold, i let the guy make some changes. He asked for different handle layout, different knobs, and a different colour rear panel. I'll probably add orange lights inside... not to light up the front, but more to show off the internal woodworking, and polished alloy chassis :D

You've got me thinking again about making a custom enclosure for my amp. It's only a Laney LC30 MK1 but it's got a great sound apart from the open back. I keep thinking about making a fancy new case for it with a closed/semi closed back 'cos I love the tight bass on a closed back cabinet. It'll give me something to do when I run out of guitar projects. :D

You've got me thinking again about making a custom enclosure for my amp. It's only a Laney LC30 MK1 but it's got a great sound apart from the open back. I keep thinking about making a fancy new case for it with a closed/semi closed back 'cos I love the tight bass on a closed back cabinet. It'll give me something to do when I run out of guitar projects. :D

Ok, now get that idea, and expand on it. There are so many things not incorporated into any speaker cabs that ive ever found... all have 'something', but none have 'all'. 'All' is only a small effort more, for a lot more versatility and adaptability. Two speakers in one cabinet + one amp = 20 different sounds. Watch this space :D

OMG, You've made a Line6 clone with a valve! :D

Giggle :D

There ain't nothin' wrong with my Line6 setup, and tubes would make it all that much better!

We're all dying for pics over here, Perry, so please please please keep us in suspense for another few months, you lazy, good-for-nothing... *mumble, grumble...*

:-D

OMG, You've made a Line6 clone with a valve! :D

Giggle :D

There ain't nothin' wrong with my Line6 setup, and tubes would make it all that much better!

We're all dying for pics over here, Perry, so please please please keep us in suspense for another few months, you lazy, good-for-nothing... *mumble, grumble...*

:-D

Ok, here you go. These should be ready (plus one more) by the end of next week.

dynamo36production1.jpg

...and the prototype...

dynamo36proto4.jpg

You know, it seems like such a natural fit. If you buy a custom built guitar you get part of the signal chain. If you have the amp and guitar custom built you get the whole package. Seems like a great offering Perry.

You must be a heck of a busy guy developing and promoting, running your day to day business, as well as production. I hope your company continues to have great success. You certainly seem to be working hard to make it happen.

Peace,Rich

"Well, if you're just getting into amps, I'd say heavily moddifying proven designs is probably the way to go. I can't imagine it being very easy to design an amp from scratch without a very strong electronics background. A decent amp background will have you modding the daylights out of an older design in no time though."

But if you design an amp from scratch... it'll end up looking like a design that's already been marketed, I would think. There's only so many ways to make tube circuits.

Can you at least tell us what kind of power tubes it uses? How many channels it has? What the approx. wattage is? I swear... I won't copy your amp, because I'd rather build the ones I design. :D You're certainly generating plenty of hype with all this secrecy... but few of us can afford a hand-built amp either way, so...

Keep guessin'....

Okay, good point on the "Dynamo 36"... I'm guessing 36 watts. But to make an original 36w design, I'm going to guess that he used 72 12AT7's in push-pull, cathode-biased. That's the only way I can think of to make an original amp any more... :D

Lord, i like the tone of Call it Sleep, but i dont see the simularity in the sample i posted up. Maybe because i know what i used as inspiration for the tone originally :D

dynamo36production2.jpg

Officially on sale at Mega Music in Melville, W. Australia. Just in time for their new catalogue... Initial pricing is set, but will be going up in the next few months (on advice from nearly every retailer, and those who have placed deposits). The early birds get the best prices. A new cabinet option will be added soon, very bling bling, very $$$ $$$ too...

dynamo36mega.jpg