My First Design (electric)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must still disagree, for scaling vector-based wins hands down. The beauty of vector-based graphics is that you can scale them all you want without loosing quality, with photoshop you'll end up with a blurry image.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I import into photoshop a vector file from Illustrator. I import it at the proper scale and resolution for printing and have no need for any further scaling. I listed the reasons why I like this approach earlier in the thread. I'm not saying the other method is wrong, but I find this very easy to work with for everything I do with it (Rendering,trying out hardware/woods, etc, etc.). I work with both photoshop and illustrator as part of my job, so I understand the differences and positives/negatives with each software package and file format.

I didnt even know that guitar existed.

thats something new to me. :D

Me neither.... now I'm pretty P.O.'d........ still building it.....

The more I look at it, the creepier I feel... I am really starting to work myself up over this..... it's pretty damned close to what I sketched... and I never saw it before now.... f'ing Yamaha...

hate to say it, but it looks exactly like the wes borland signature guitar to me...

You have an odd definition of "exactly." :D

Sure, there are some similarities, but there are plenty of differences, too. The larger tail-end bout is one a different side and shaped differently, lower horn is different, headstock is different, etc. It's pretty hard to come up with something that doesn't look at least somewhat like what someone else has done at this point. Not saying it's impossible, but it often mean that either you've made it uncomfortable to play, made it weird enough that most people won't want to play it, or that you just haven't found the guitar it looks like yet.

In short, you came up with it, you like it, so build it and don't flip about it.

Edited by jnewman

Thanks, jnewman. I wasn't about to let anything stand in my way of what I consider to be my first original design. While my sketches do share some similarities with that Yamaha guitar, I feel mine holds its own in its own ways.

I will build it. And it will be mine. =)

Well, if you build pointy-butt, it'll have less in common with it. :D

Re: vector vs. raster--> I don't know the Adobe products. I only know Paint Shop Pro (for bitmap) and Real-Draw Pro (for vector). Realdraw lets you seamlessly utilize bitmaps as layers or for things like textures, without losing any more detail than you would by resizing in a bitmap editing program. PSP has a few nice tools for me to isolate the parts of the bitmap I need, but then everything else is done in Real-Draw. I've had people say my mockup looks extra-realistic. This is due to the accuracy and features of the vector-based approach, combined with the textures of the bitmap. And all done in Real-Draw Pro, a $30 shareware program. :D

Greg

I didnt even know that guitar existed.

thats something new to me. :D

Me neither.... now I'm pretty P.O.'d........ still building it.....

I think we're getting into the stage of guitar building where uniqueness is going to be harder to achieve; especially in the so called 'traditional' look. A lot of guitars have been built. Chances are what you may think is original, has probably been done.

I'm going to have to jump on the band wagon and vote for the pointy butt one, not just because I like it better, but because I have been working on a deisgn for a while that includes a pointy butt. The orginal design did not have one, but when doodling I added one and it seemed to make the original design work even better. Problem is the pointy part made the design a tad long for the top I had in mind, but in drawing out to size on the top it seemed to fit alright. I Still need to cut some width off the waist area. Anyway, I like your guitar design a lot. The one I am doing will not be liked by many, but is something that I must do for myself as I have had the idea for a long time. When the project gets further along I will post the deisgn. Best of luck to you on your build and congrats on the cool design. There were definately some significant differences in the guitar posted, so no worries there. As I think jnewman mentioned it is extremely tough to make a guitar design that doesn't resemble another design, many times I have drawn out something and found something real close it later on guitar site. If you like it, then build it for yourself, especially if you sat down and drew it to your preferences. Again good luck and keep us posted on the progress. J

• 1 month later...

Yes, I didn't realize that I had not mentioned the types of wood used on the guitar yet. The top is 2 piece Canary Wood, the back is 2 piece Spanish Cedar. The neck is a 3 piece Mahogany with a 13º pitch headstock, and a Black & White Ebony (!!!) fretboard. I'll be adding more to this post soon; I just need to sort through all of the pictures first and let you all in on the build.

I am also building 3 other electrics at the same time (each has the same body style, only solid bodies):

CMCg-I

Body: 2 piece Spanish Cedar back, 2 piece Canary Wood top (semi-hollow)

Neck: 3-piece Mahogany (deep set), Black & White Ebony fret-board

Hardware: Planet Waves™ Auto-Trim locking tuners, Hipshot™ Fulcrum tremolo

Pickups: PRS McCarty (neck & bridge), Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails (middle)

Controls: master volume, master tone with push/pull coil tap for the bridge and activation of the middle pickup (ala Swamp Ash Special), 3-way toggle switch

Extras: Wenge knobs.

CMCg-II

Body: ? back, 5 piece Canary Wood/Birds-Eye Maple/Blood Wood top (lightly carved)

Neck: 1 piece Canary Wood with Blood Wood fret-board (bolt on)

Hardware: Planet Waves Auto-Trim locking tuners, Hipshot fixed bridge.

Pickups: Gibson P-90s (neck & bridge)

Controls: master tone, master volume, 3 way toggle switch.

Extras: Blood-Wood knobs

CMCg-III

Body: (5 piece) Mahogany/Wenge/Ash (solid, lightly carved)

Neck: 1 piece Bubinga, Wenge fret board (bolt on)

Hardware: Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners, Hipshot Fulcrum tremolo.

Pickups: Gibson Dirty Fingers (bridge & neck)

Controls: master tone, master volume, 5 way PRS-style rotary switch

Extras: Wenge knobs.

CMCg-IV

Body: 2 piece Alder (solid, lightly carved)

Neck: 1 piece Birds-Eye Maple with Coco-Bolo fret-board.

Hardware: Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners, Hipshot fixed bridge

Pickups: Gibson P90 (bridge)

Controls: master volume, master tone.

Extras: Purple Heart knobs,

i love the fretboard! and whatever the top is (canarywood?) is a really different color- very cool. i really hope you're leaving it natural.

Oh yeah, it's going to be finished natural. The top is Canary Wood that was about 20 years old pulled from a crate that came from a shipment from Mexico back in the 80s. It was an amazing find at the wood shop down here in Atalanta. Wait until you see the other canary wood top I'm working on...

DSCN3536.jpg

It's coming along....

Wow!

Thats looking fantastic!

keep up the good work!

DSCN3646.jpg

It's coming along! Everything is routed (as far as pickups and trem'), and the fretboard was glued on last night along with the veneer earlier in the day for the headstock. Today I'll be finishing up the woodworking with the control layouts, tuning-peg holes, deepening the trem cavity (springs are rubbing right now, needs to be deeper) & radius the fretboard. Then I can finally install some hardware, frets, bone nut, etc., and put her in the spray-shack for finishing. I might have it up and running by next Wednesday!!!