Assess My....

Hey guys,

Well, it looks like I may be able to start my first project ever in the coming weeks. I've spent the last year soaking in info and what not and have learned a lot, especially from you guys. Its been hard though, since I have really no woodworking experience or electronics experience and thus no frame of reference. But I think it'll work out fine.

Anyway, I have a project list here that I'm pretty sure has everything on it. I haven't made a tool/supply list yet, this is only a material list. So here ya go:

CMA's Super Tele

Modifications:

AANJ

3x3 Tele Wiring Mod

-

-------------------------------------------

*Tonerider*

Tonerider Pickups; Set of 3 (TeleB/P90/TeleN) - 120.00

*GuitarFetish.com*

Knobs - 10.00

Tele jack cup - 8.95

Solder - 2.39

Electronics Wire (red) - 7.95

String tree - 3.95

String Ferrules - 6.95

Strap locks - 10.45

Tuners (probably Wilk. EZ-LOK) - 26.95

*Stew-Mac*

Copper Tape - 10.00

Nut - 3.30

Hot Rod truss rod - 16.00

Neck mounting ferrules - 10.31

Neck mounting screws (x4) - 3.32

Fretwire (Medium/Higher; 2ft x 3) - 9.63

Binding - 4.75

Megaswitch T-model - 15.95

DPDT On-On-On switch - 12.53

*Electronics* (specialtyguitars.com)

500K pots (x2) - 10.00

Hovland Cap (.047uF) - 11.90

Shielded Wire (4ft) - 3.60

*Guitar Parts Central*

Tele Bridge (6-saddle) - 25.24

*Wood*

Alder Body blank - 45.00-50.00

Flamed maple neck blank - 7.00

Fretboard (pre-slotted, radiused; Flamed maple) - 10.00-15.00

*Finishing Supplies*

ReRanch Sanding Sealer - 8.95

ReRanch Nitro Color (Aerosol; Black) - 15.95

Deft Nitro Clear Coat (Aerosol; 12 oz.) x 3 - 35.97

*MIMF*

Telecaster Plans - 15.00

*Total*

approx. $477.00

I'm probably looking at around $500 including shipping. The price may vary though, depending on an possible changes and if I get some stuff locally. So any suggestions? I estimate tool expenses to be roughly the same.

I'm am having a touch of trouble deciding what color scheme to go with. I was originally going to go with this:

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/schecter.htm (the black schecter)

but I also like this:

http://mcnach.com/gearpics/Guitars/tele/Telecaster2.jpg

What do you guys think? Oh yeh, one last thing. I'm trying to decide on inlays on the fboard. Probably either no inlays or black dots?

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Looks good.

I like the one with the binding but it may be a bit harder for a first build.

As for the inlays, don't bother with them unless you're going to get some really nice looking ones, otherwise just put in the little side inlays so you have some guide when you're playing it.

For the inlays I'd probably go with the small black dot, probably in the bottom left of the space, right above the fret. You could use the same stuff as the side dots; keep 'em small but still noticeable, at least to you.

Your parts list looks pretty good. Depending on how handy you are you could probably do without the plans. It's not too difficult to blow up a picture of a tele using a good photo and trace it. As long as you know the scale length (25.5 inches) you can guarantee it'll be the right size. If you can only blow up the body the tele is about 12 5/8 inches wide at the lower bout.

Also, I noticed you'll be using three pickups but you only have a three way switch. Why not go for a five way strat-ish switch for a little more versatility?

Nice idea for the inlays. And as far as the body plan goes, I don't mind paying 15 bucks for a nice plan.

About the electronics, you just reminded me of something I forgot to put on the list. A DPDT on-on-on switch. My plan is this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/Cra...101/3x3Tele.gif

The physical orientation of the parts is not how I'll have it, but the electronics are the same. That diagram will give me:

"+" = parallel

"x" = series

toggle up, T-switch selects B+M, M+N, N+B

toggle in center position, T-switch selects B, M, N

toggle down, T-switch selects BxM, M, NxM

Props to JohnH over at the guitarnuts forum for the idea.

CMA

Some of the items, the fret wire immediately sprang to mind, might be better bought in bulk. It might not be as much of an issue for you as you live on the same side of the Atlantic as Stew Mac but I bought a tube of fret wire as it works out much cheaper & I guarentee that you'll make at least one more guitar. It's nice to know that you can screw up a bit & not run out of materials. Another thing might be to get uncut nut blanks & buy some files to make your own, again I'm thinking long-term benefits. Also, the wire, copper tape etc. that you're buying...it would be much cheaper from an electronics store. I bought a length of the rainbow coloured, ribbon type wire for only a few £'s many years ago & I managed to rewire several guitars with it. Have a look here: http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp...2032058.2032227

Hey biliousfrog,

I see what your saying about the bulk stuff. I know it does work out cheaper in the long run, but I probably won't be doing much building for a little while after this first project because of previous engagements. And money is tight right now as it is. If I do need some more fretwire, I don't mind ordering a little more. And I do plan on making my own nut, so I'll buy a bunch of blanks (since I'll probably screw a few up).

On the electronics, I will check out my local stores to see what I can get cheaper. Thanks for the tip!

CMA

CMA's Super Tele

Modifications:

AANJ

3x3 Tele Wiring Mod

-

*Tonerider*

Tonerider Pickups; Set of 3 (TeleB/P90/TeleN) - 120.00

*GuitarFetish.com*

Knobs - 10.00

Tele jack cup - 8.95

Solder - 2.39

Electronics Wire (red) - 7.95

String tree - 3.95

String Ferrules - 6.95

Strap locks - 10.45

Tuners (probably Wilk. EZ-LOK) - 26.95

*Stew-Mac*

Copper Tape - 10.00

Nut - 3.30

Hot Rod truss rod - 16.00

Neck mounting ferrules - 10.31

Neck mounting screws (x4) - 3.32

Fretwire (Medium/Higher; 2ft x 3) - 9.63

Binding - 4.75

Megaswitch T-model - 15.95

DPDT On-On-On switch - 12.53

Binding tape?, Glues?

*Electronics* (specialtyguitars.com)

500K pots (x2) - 10.00

Hovland Cap (.047uF) - 11.90

Shielded Wire (4ft) - 3.60

Ok,

*Guitar Parts Central*

Tele Bridge (6-saddle) - 25.24

Ok,

*Wood*

Alder Body blank - 45.00-50.00

Flamed maple neck blank - 7.00

Fretboard (pre-slotted, radiused; Flamed maple) - 10.00-15.00

Body is normal(price), Fretboard and neck seem pretty low(Very good prices)

*Finishing Supplies*

ReRanch Sanding Sealer - 8.95

ReRanch Nitro Color (Aerosol; Black) - 15.95

Deft Nitro Clear Coat (Aerosol; 12 oz.) x 3 - 35.97

Sandpaper, Polish and misc. finishing supplies.

*MIMF*

Telecaster Plans - 15.00

Ok

You mention $500 including shipping. Shipping will be more than $23, especially coming from so many venders.

Tool expense could be a lot more than the parts, depending on what you have and what you choose. If you are on a budget. Be sure to take into acount the tools you will be purchasing(make a list). You will buy more tools than you have on your list before you are done. Just be careful not to try buy work around or cheaper tools that will not work well or will need to be replaced to get decent results. That can be an expensive cycle to get into.

Peace,Rich

P.S. If you plan to build more guitars in the future. You really should look at buying some parts in bulk(not too bulky, but enough to get a little better pricing*mainly elctronics, fretwire and such). Also look for local wood dealers. Shipping on wood will add up very fast. You can save a lot locally(say that Alder Body blank), although some of your wood is pretty low(Flamed Maple neck Blank at $7*tuff to match if it is quality dry wood with anykind of figure) and your fretboard with slotting and radiusing service is a super steal at $10-$15.

Edited by fryovanni

Rich is right on. On the tools in particular, i've found that i've spent as much on tools as I have on actual parts for the guitar (and i've got more to go.). They add up fast. And that's not including any major power tools, which I already have access to. That's just specialty tools, router bits, sandpaper, and other small things. It's amazing how it adds up, just be prepared for it.

For Fender plans I found this link very useful

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdfs/

There are layout diagrams like this of pretty much every Fender guitar.

They are all vector based and can be scaled to full-size without loosing quality. It's all in layers as well, so with a program like adobe illustrator all the arrows and such can be removed

only thing i noticed that i wouldnt use is the tele jack cup (because they always seem to fall out) electrosocket ones seem a lot better

example : http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part...te_for_Tele.htm

just had another glance, personally i wouldnt use a hovland cap in a guitar, id go with an orange drop (cheaper and does the same job), just a thought of course, hovland caps are great quality but the price seems a little high to me.

$7 for a neck blank and $15 for the fretboard? Where did you get these for so cheap? Also, if you don't have any yet you might want to order some polishing compounds to go with your finishing supplies.

Hey Rich,

Binding tape, glue, sanding paper, etc. are all going on the tool/supply list I'm making. You're right about the shipping. My total went up after I noticed I left a few things I left off so it will be over 500 including shipping. I bet the tools will cost more than 500, but as you said that will vary on what I get/need. I'll know for sure once I finish the list. The neck blank I am getting from a local supplier I found and they have really good prices. They don't have Alder, unfortunately, so I'll probably get that online. Thanks for the input Rich, I really appreciate it.

mattharris75,

I'll brace myself for the prices :D

aidlook,

That is a great link! Thanks for the resource.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Yeah, tools is what will get ya in the wallet. The actual guitar parts and wood is only a small portion of what you will spend in tools. The nice thing is that you won't be buying new tools everytime and if you buy the right ones they will last a long time. It also depends on how easy you want to make things for yourself, some tools can be avoided, but it makes things more difficult and time consuming. What do you have tool wise so far? Bandsaw, router, planer, table saw, drill press, ect? Just for the inexpensive versions of those would probably be close to triple what your build price is so far, and those are just general tools not counting very specific tools or misc tools like clamps and such. I remember thats what shocked me most is the tool list and cost.

Long before starting my first project I started buying the general tools, ones that had many uses including many outside of guitar building. As for the more specifc luthiery tools, I'v heard many people just suggest buying as you need them. If your on a specifc budget you must be very specific in what you buy to avoid having to buy certain tools and look for other ways to do things in order to avoid buying certain tools, for example some people use a router jig to thickness a body or neck blank, in using ideas like this you can avoid buying certain tools, which is a help when you know that you won't be doing a lot of building anytime soon.

Anyhow, I'm sure you know all this, I was just relating as I was somewhat shocked at first at what I needed to spend in order to build. I've decided that this is most likely a lifelong hobby for me(for certain reasons) and I don't mind buying all the tools that will make it easier along the way. If it was a single build then I would beg, borrow, and build tons of jigs to avoid buying major tools. Well, I can't wait to see this project turn out, sounds like you got a good plan going, best of luck to you! J

Yeah, tools is what will get ya in the wallet. The actual guitar parts and wood is only a small portion of what you will spend in tools. The nice thing is that you won't be buying new tools everytime and if you buy the right ones they will last a long time. It also depends on how easy you want to make things for yourself, some tools can be avoided, but it makes things more difficult and time consuming. What do you have tool wise so far? Bandsaw, router, planer, table saw, drill press, ect? Just for the inexpensive versions of those would probably be close to triple what your build price is so far, and those are just general tools not counting very specific tools or misc tools like clamps and such. I remember thats what shocked me most is the tool list and cost.

Long before starting my first project I started buying the general tools, ones that had many uses including many outside of guitar building. As for the more specifc luthiery tools, I'v heard many people just suggest buying as you need them. If your on a specifc budget you must be very specific in what you buy to avoid having to buy certain tools and look for other ways to do things in order to avoid buying certain tools, for example some people use a router jig to thickness a body or neck blank, in using ideas like this you can avoid buying certain tools, which is a help when you know that you won't be doing a lot of building anytime soon.

Anyhow, I'm sure you know all this, I was just relating as I was somewhat shocked at first at what I needed to spend in order to build. I've decided that this is most likely a lifelong hobby for me(for certain reasons) and I don't mind buying all the tools that will make it easier along the way. If it was a single build then I would beg, borrow, and build tons of jigs to avoid buying major tools. Well, I can't wait to see this project turn out, sounds like you got a good plan going, best of luck to you! J

Thanks for the encouragement. About buying some tools only as I need them, seems like sound advice to me! I certainly hope I can make this a lifelong hobby as well (is there a better hobby? :D).

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Hey Rich,

Binding tape, glue, sanding paper, etc. are all going on the tool/supply list I'm making. You're right about the shipping. My total went up after I noticed I left a few things I left off so it will be over 500 including shipping. I bet the tools will cost more than 500, but as you said that will vary on what I get/need. I'll know for sure once I finish the list. The neck blank I am getting from a local supplier I found and they have really good prices. They don't have Alder, unfortunately, so I'll probably get that online. Thanks for the input Rich, I really appreciate it.

mattharris75,

I'll brace myself for the prices :D

aidlook,

That is a great link! Thanks for the resource.

CMA

Sounds like you are doing a good job of thinking ahead(smart :D ). It is really good that you found a local wood dealer. Shipping on solid body wood is a real waste of money(unless you absolutely can't get it locally). It sound like you dug through the regular hard maple and found some nice figure in a quartersawn piece(they are definately out there if you look hard). You can buy soft curly maple also at lumber prices easier to find, but you have to watch out for the less than dry stock(can be a nasty supprise). Anytime you see a very nice looking figured piece in a regular lumber bin you are getting a bargain(so treasure hunt! gems can be had if you look hard).

Good luck!

Rich