An Acoustic Flying V

• 1 month later...
I don't think it'd sound "really really" bad. I'm sure people would stop playing and building them if that was true. Personally I hate the normal V's. They look so out of place all the time. But I really like the look of the acoustic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADMhcnpnZeE. If you have nothing better to do I say go for it.

They're designed for stage use, to be seen more than heard, & as soon as you put a piezo on it & stick it through a PA it'll sound like anything else with a piezo, solid or acoustic. Acoustic's with piezo's generally sound a little more "acoustic" because of the strings & resonance of the top but mostly you're hearing the pickup & the preamp. If you want a nice acoustic sound, build a traditional acoustic. If you want something that looks like a "V" & sounds acoustic put some piezo saddles & preamp into a V...maybe even route a soundhole into the front like the Chet Atkins solidbody "acoustics" so that it looks acoustic?

As you might have guessed, I don't like them :D . It's nothing in particular, I just can't see the point in wasting the wood on something that sounds bad unplugged & generic when amplified...same goes for the strat/tele acoustic's.

I know nothing about acoustic guitars, the title just caught my interest, but why would an acoustic Vee sound bad? The only reason I can think of is that as the sound waves will really bounce around differently inside of the body shape and won't reverberate as well. Is that even close?

I'm not even giving it a -1 because of the sound. I'm just giving it a -1 because it's about the geekiest thing you could possibly do. :D If you have the resources to do a "different"-shaped acoustic guitar, why a V? Yuk.

It's basically down to this: with acoustics, shape defines sound. A dred will sound more like another dred than it will ever sound like an 00, even if the woods on the dreds are completely different (mahogany and cedar and rosewood and sitka, say). The guitar sounds like it does because of how the soundboard can vibrate, and face it: a V has a tiny-ass soundboard, mostly. About as much effective area (The bits by the tips will be very constrained) as a Martin Backpacker, or close to it.

Depth and all that also play a part.

DOesn't have to fail, mind, but it's a radical departure if you're after a more or less traditional acoustic guitar tone and timbre.

I think Mattia is on the money. I am waiting till I hear the description of the basic construction, and anticipated sound(acoustic or electric) before I want to comment much. The chance of success depends totally on these things. If he wants a traditional acoustic sound, as Mattia mentioned it is not a good starting point.

Peace,Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I wonder if he will try it and go through with it. A lot of times it seems when people get an idea they think is unique/original they get excited and are ready to start building it, but once they find out it has already been done (which happens like 999 times out of 1000) they lose all interest in building. Not saying that this is the case here, but I've seen many similar threads where they think no one has done it and once they find out its been done or that it will require a lot or work and research, they drop it. Sad too because they are always interesting plans and guitars, whether or not they are completely original means little to me overall, though it is neat and gets bonus points.

Honestly, I'd love to see this build take place because I think it would make for a very interest project thread, but it's not looking like that will happen. We shall see.

PS: Ever notice that the ones that are like I mentioned never have the wood, tools, or plans made up before they post that they are building it? Just noticed myself. I think I am going to make an original design now, hmm, I will make a solid body acoustic! LOL

I have never really considered building an acoustic, mainly because at this point I feel it is above my skill level. But after reading this thread, I am thinking that in the future it may be fun to come up with an original design, something a little more extreme. Maybe a Warrior acoustic or something, obviously with a piezo. Not so much to build for the right sound, but mostly for the look and the challenge. But I definitely have a lot to learn abou acoustics first. But I do think it would be fun to try and see what I can come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all how you doin? :D

actually i'm not going to giveup this project :D

my only problem that i'm outside my country since 4/7/2007 until now because of my work :S ,,, i will be home next month B) , and i will try to start this project as fast as i can ,,.

yours,,

OPERATIONS

Hey all how you doin? :D

actually i'm not going to giveup this project :D

my only problem that i'm outside my country since 4/7/2007 until now because of my work :S ,,, i will be home next month B) , and i will try to start this project as fast as i can ,,.

yours,,

OPERATIONS

Good! :D

As I mentioned, I like interesting projects like this, even if they are not one of a kind, they are apart from the norm and make for interesting builds. I'm glad this just wasn't one of those unique thoughts, where they want to build it because they think its never been done before, those tend to never work out. I think it would be very cool to see an acoustic V with some super nice woods, it'll be quite different than the norm build and very cool, I can't wait.

Are you out of town a lot on business? It can be rough when that happens, there are a number of people in my family (more of them in extended familly) that have and do spend a lot of time out of town on business for different jobs. I would suppose there would be some benefits when building guitars, mainly you can buy lots of wood and when you get home they will be ready to work with and when you put finishes on you don't have to spend a month staring at something you can't touch. So, you can look at it that way. Heck, ya never know you might find some cool wood or tools in your travels as well.

Well, keep us posted on the project when you get back into town, I will definitely be waiting interested to see the initial plan of the woods and such. Best of luck at your work and keep us posted. Glad to see you posted, thought we lost you. J

I'd build it.

I would probably need to add a piezo pickup. Something has to amplify it.

I have a Rickenbacker 330/12 and that thing sounds beautiful unplugged, but it ain't loud at all.

Weird shapes can sound great.

Fender had an unusual shaped acoustic years ago. Looked sort of like a Stratocaster.

The worst thing would be you having to add a pair of PAF's on it.

Do it and good luck.

• 16 years later...

Did anyone attempt to make the acoustic flying V boris dommenget? I know you can get plans for electric flying V on electric herald. I know the dean acoustic flying v has 2 1/4 inch side walls edge to edge including the binding. The Boris dommenget flying V side walls look wider than that in pictures but it is hard to tell. I wonder what the internal bracing looks like on an acoustic flying V vs a dreadnought. I am note sure if the side walls taper down towards the front or not. This guy makes a acoustic/electric but he doesn't bend the sides. His side walls don't look that wide nor does he had internal bracing. His top and bottom of his guitar aren't dome shaped using a radius dish. I am sure his guitar sounds good plugged in. If anyone has plans for a build let me know. Or more details on side walls for me let me know.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2024 at 12:38 AM, crazyrees said:

Did anyone attempt to make the acoustic flying V boris dommenget? I know you can get plans for electric flying V on electric herald. I know the dean acoustic flying v has 2 1/4 inch side walls edge to edge including the binding. The Boris dommenget flying V side walls look wider than that in pictures but it is hard to tell. I wonder what the internal bracing looks like on an acoustic flying V vs a dreadnought. I am note sure if the side walls taper down towards the front or not. This guy makes a acoustic/electric but he doesn't bend the sides. His side walls don't look that wide nor does he had internal bracing. His top and bottom of his guitar aren't dome shaped using a radius dish. I am sure his guitar sounds good plugged in. If anyone has plans for a build let me know. Or more details on side walls for me let me know.

I know from experience that one should use a radius on the top and some form of bracing. I was working with the Tele Style acoustic and the flat top bowed in because I did not use that. Having made acoustics before though I did have an understanding of acoustic design, The Tele did not use it and was a failure in that regard. Just my 0.02cents.  MK

39 minutes ago, MiKro said:

I know from experience that one should use a radius on the top and some form of bracing.

What would you think about making a flat top with braces heavily radiused to the inside? Lacking the words let me draw it:

image.png.0adc80d1507b4156db4f63a0cb476ed2.png

Would that be enough to keep the top from sagging or do you think the overall curvature with braces radiused against the top (and maybe bottom too) would be more rigid?

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

What would you think about making a flat top with braces heavily radiused to the inside? Lacking the words let me draw it:

image.png.0adc80d1507b4156db4f63a0cb476ed2.png

Would that be enough to keep the top from sagging or do you think the overall curvature with braces radiused against the top (and maybe bottom too) would be more rigid?

Tried it and it does not work as well as you would think. I would go for a large radius say maybe in the 50 inch range.  Most acoustics are in the 30 plus range if memory reminds me.  That may be for the back though? Either way it should help if used on the top. LOL!! I have slept a few times, as well as aged since then. LMAO!!!!

10 hours ago, MiKro said:

Tried it and it does not work as well as you would think.

Gave some further thought to it and you're most likely right. An egg has one of the most durable shapes and it's all about the curvature. Or at least I haven't seen any braces inside eggs.

• Haha 1