I was just about to post the same thing. This is the 2nd weekend the site was down due to "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded". Was sort of going thru a bit of a withdrawal, :D . Its a good sign, ie. more members and more people actually using the resources. I guess the site is starting to grow into an elephant, no way around it but to take measures to handle the load. Maybe we SHOULD pass the hat around.

Yeah. I'm dead broke, but if I can afford $5 for a movie every other week, I can afford $10 for one of my primary forms of entertainment and information.

Regarding pics-- no pic posted at Project Guitar costs any bandwidth. Even the ones you can "see" are visible through code trickery, but the images themselves come from whatever site they're hosted on. So it's got nothing to do with pics. It's just a simple matter that PG has some fans (lurkers, too, God bless'em!) who like to check in several times a day. That's me. It'd be cool to talk to Brian, though-- I'm definitely overdue for a donation, PERIOD. But I'm sure that even Brian wouldn't want a fundraising initiative that's theoretically to buy more bandwidth, if he himself has no intention of increasing the monthly GB throughput. But if he's willing to up the bandwidth, it'd give even more incentive for renewed or first-time donations.

Yeah. I'm dead broke, but if I can afford $5 for a movie every other week, I can afford $10 for one of my primary forms of entertainment and information.

Regarding pics-- no pic posted at Project Guitar costs any bandwidth. Even the ones you can "see" are visible through code trickery, but the images themselves come from whatever site they're hosted on. So it's got nothing to do with pics. It's just a simple matter that PG has some fans (lurkers, too, God bless'em!) who like to check in several times a day. That's me. It'd be cool to talk to Brian, though-- I'm definitely overdue for a donation, PERIOD. But I'm sure that even Brian wouldn't want a fundraising initiative that's theoretically to buy more bandwidth, if he himself has no intention of increasing the monthly GB throughput. But if he's willing to up the bandwidth, it'd give even more incentive for renewed or first-time donations.

Go for it Greg you are the point man now to get Donations. trust me when I SAY that it's not that easy to get those that want for free something that others will pay for. I GREATLY appreciated every $ that was raised for the BP tribute. So Good luck and Gods Speed with this endeavor.

To all of those that did contribute a very BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! You all are the soul of this virtual gig.

Sincerely,

Mike

I decline the honour. :D All that's needed is for people to read this thread and decide for themselves whether they use $10 worth of information and entertainment in this site for a year or more. I sure do!

Greg

I have already pointed Brian to a topic on the donation procedure but haven't yet had a response so I don't know whether he's read it or not. I firmly believe, & I'm not alone, that the lack of information, hidden shipping charges & inability to contact Brian via PM (Inbox is full) is likely to put people off of donating.

It took me a couple of hrs to work out how I donate, then I had several $'s of shipping to pay which I wasn't fore-warned about & then I couldn't PM Brian about the S&H because his inbox was full so I had to search the Universal Jem's site for an email address & then after 2 weeks I got a response & the donated badge.

I haven't got a problem with making a donation & I think that the site is such a great source of information that giving the price of a hand tool is a bargain...but, look at the procedure from the point of view of a new member. Is it unreasonable for someone to give up trying to donate & buy a book, wood or a tool instead because it's easier?

just my 2cents

Agreed - it's definitely putting me off donating as I would love to put something back into the board other than my inane commentary. :D

I have already pointed Brian to a topic on the donation procedure but haven't yet had a response so I don't know whether he's read it or not. I firmly believe, & I'm not alone, that the lack of information, hidden shipping charges & inability to contact Brian via PM (Inbox is full) is likely to put people off of donating.

It took me a couple of hrs to work out how I donate, then I had several $'s of shipping to pay which I wasn't fore-warned about & then I couldn't PM Brian about the S&H because his inbox was full so I had to search the Universal Jem's site for an email address & then after 2 weeks I got a response & the donated badge.

I haven't got a problem with making a donation & I think that the site is such a great source of information that giving the price of a hand tool is a bargain...but, look at the procedure from the point of view of a new member. Is it unreasonable for someone to give up trying to donate & buy a book, wood or a tool instead because it's easier?

just my 2cents

oh sure, I don't deny that he's a busy guy & he can't be expected to be at everyone's beck & call 24/7...but maybe if donations were explained a bit better & maybe offered a little something extra, even if it's just good karma, then it might bring more money into the site & prevent uneccessary emails or messages for him to deal with?

I understand that he's trying to get sponsorship for the site also?

Have a look at these forums that I also frequent:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

http://www.spinquad.com/

there's plenty of potential advertising revenue available if a similar forum was used. There's the obvious companies like StewMac & LMI but also general woodworking suppliers, wood suppliers, music stores, paint suppliers as well as the guitar part manufacturers.