Finishing choices

weezerboy

As i'm gonna buy a tele style kit from brian soon what finish do u think i should use?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

wood stain. ebony and rosewood stains look so pretty. my last finishing project was on my own strat, stripped it down to bare maple and stained ebony flames along the side of it, coming only about 2" onto the front and back of the guitar. i'm in the process of getting my pictures cropped and cleaned right now, so they'll be up soon, but it looks damn pretty...

to your goats...at least...

To me it all depends on the wood. Nice figured or grianed wood gets clear nitro. Little or no figuring or lack of grain gets paint covered in high gloss nitro. Although I did paint a mahogany body once.... B) I tried for a "pickled" look using white stain to highlight the grain and ended up with a pink bass. It was quickly resanded and painted. My wife liked the pink but it wasn't my style. :D

Having built a tele kit from Brian before... :D I'd probably go with either lacquer or polyU. Polyurethane would probably be cheaper and longer lasting, but you need to be more careful applying it. It runs a little easier and will form rings if you dont level sand carefully between coats.

the tunng oil ages nicely to give a vaintage look, which i like, so thats what id do, and its what im gonna do to the next guitar i build, i like the old vintage look, its class. otherwise polyurethane gives a great tough finish, like on the neck of my blue kit gibbo anyhow, cyas

mike

• 4 weeks later...
.....To me, staining basswod is like putting a tutu on a pig - it can be done, but it's a lot of work for very little gain.

A friend of mine refers to that sort of thing as "polishing a turd" :D

As far as finish goes; as your doing the assembly, Im sure the guitar will tell you how it wants to be finished, you just have to listen closely.

I'll probably wind up using everything at least once. I did a couple already in polyurethane. The next one will be clear automotive laquer on mahogany. I used tung oil on an oak toilet seat once. Its good for woods that have really well defined grain, like oak, but I wouldn't use it on mahogany.

well since it's a basswood body (yea i'm gonna get one of those tele kits too, but geetting a custom neck from litchfield, and doing my own custom inlay, and yadda yadda yadda) I'd say go with a solid aerosol spray from reranch. Then on top of that, if you're gonna polish (see LGM's polishing tutorial) use a wipe on polyurethane, and if you have a bad feeling you woul deat through the finish, using an aerosol clear coat, and no polishing looks just fine. But i do recommend using some sort of autobody wax to do a final shile on it. i find That Turtle wax Express Shine works very well and is very cheap and easy. You spray it on like Windex (exactly the same way) then buff it off. That's what i did on my last project. (pics on the way!!) and it looks great.

oh, and for a really good cleaner, if you go to any Eyemasters or Sears Vision or optomotrist place like that (not a small office) they sell stuff that you use to clean your glasses, and it works well to bring a shine to a finish, or to get rid of fingerprints and such.