A Kind Of Rg'ish Build.

Hello all, after my first build turned out all right for a bit of fun (first build) I've decided to do a second build out of proper timber.

It will be 6 string, neck through with an RG body shape. The wings of the body will be hollow with some f-holes in the top.

I am using Qld maple for the body with a mystery, lightly figured top. The neck is rock maple.

It will have 2 humbuckers, wired like a PRS with a floyd rose trem.

This is were I'm up to now, I've hollowed out the wings:

05082007330.jpg

Can anyone tell from this poor photo what timber the top is? Top

(Sorry about the pic quality, I only have a camera phone.) Thanks.

Redwood sounds good in terms of the colour, it's alot redder in real life than in the photos, plus its fairly heavy.

The Qld maple is supposed to sound a lot warmer than regular maple so it should be alright, I hope. :D

Thanks oblaty, its my dream specs too.

I do agree that darker wood usually looks best on the back but the qld maple is pretty boring looking timber.

Now, should I glue the top to the wings and then the completed wings to the neck or should I glue the wings to the neck

and then the top?

could it be tassie myrtle ??

sure looks like it

Sure looks like a plain piece of myrtle we have here.

Queensland Maple isn't anything like Rock Maple as it isn't actually a Maple, but it does sound similar to mahogany.

I'm with RG and Ray on this one.

It smells decidedly myrtle-ish. And a nice , gentle figure to it also. :D

cheers, Stu

From the little I've seen of that type of myrtle from a local "tropical and exotic" wood shop, I would agree as well, but it would be just my best guess nothing more. As for the figure, I can see it in the picture and it looks very cool. Its hard to tell, but I would guess the top was bookmatched? The figure looks too similar on each side to be slip matched, not certain though.

A member has a thread on another site that shows two pics of some walnut. Basically, they wanted to know which way to orientate the wood, to make it look best based on the figure. It has flamed figure, different from this one, but similar effect. In one pic the flames are angling down toward the sides of the guitar and in the second pic the flames are pointing upwards towards the side. This guitar looks to have the flames going up toward the sides. I actually really like this way of orientating the figure, though it seems many people prefer the other way with the flames angling down much more. Either way once finished I think that figure will look amazing.

Congrats on a wicked looking project so far, definitely keep the progress picture coming. Best of luck man and keep us posted!!!. J

Thankyou everyone, I think after googling I will declare the mystery timber myrtle.

I really liked the figure, it seems to angle in two stages. The two pieces are just one board cut in two, so they are not book matched.

At first I had the figure angled downward but when I overlayed the shape of the body it looked better with the figure flowing up towards the horns

so I left it like that.

Does anyone have an opinion about the gluing question I asked a few posts up?

Very cool stuff. I would bet you that my local place would call that wood Curly Tasmanian Rose Myrtle, lol, seriously they would. You got a very nice piece because that figure lines up well, it must have been pretty even all the way through. Its not too easy to slip match a piece well enough to pass as bookmatched, I'd imagine that once its finished it will be more obvious, but still it worked out very well and yes I agree that it looks better with the figure going up like you made it.

The other site I was at, out of 40 people so far who voted on what would look better for this walnut, a total of 4 people including myself voted for the figure going up and the rest voted the other way! I was fairly shocked myself, though it was for an acoustic and the grain might have played a factor on the decision as well. Either way I really like the way it looks when it is pointed upward like yours, very cool stuff.

As for gluing, probably be easier to glue the top to the wings first. The main reason is if you glued the wings to the neck first, when gluing the tops on you would have to apply pressure and clamps both vertically and horizontally to get good joints both at the neck and wings. So, yeah I would do the wings and tops first, then glue them to the neck. Best of luck man. J

Edited by jmrentis

Well I got a bit more done today. Firstly I roughly cut out the f-holes with my new coping saw. Then I tried routing the top to size using my template.

This timber really doesn't like to rout! I tried a few different bits in varying degrees of sharpness and all sorts of router speeds but it just kept chipping and grabbing.

In the end I gave that up and just sanded the top to size using my benchtop disc sander.

10082007335.jpg

Here you can see one side of the hollowed out wings. http://users.tpg.com.au/stewart7/Semi-hollow/10082007332.jpg

And I ended the day by cutting the headstock angle with a handsaw because it wouldn't fit in my bandsaw :D , damn that was hard work.

I have no idea how I will cut out the neck profile, I might need to borrow a bigger bandsaw.

Interestingly enough, i found some hard eucalypti that looked the same as your top, though it still looks like myrtle.

I used to use a handsaw and the good ol' stanley to do my headstocks, but now its all router and jointer work.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a little while since the last update and I haven't really got much done in that time, damn work.

Got a camera for my birthday so no more camera phone pics. :D

I finally cleaned up the f-holes and routed for the pots and switches which allowed me to glue the top to the wings.

Top Clamped

Unclamped

And here is were the fretboard stands at the moment:

IMG_0080.jpg

Now that the tops are glued on I have to work out how I'm going to cut the neck profile so I can glue the wings to the neck.

Edited by Stewey

• 1 month later...

Ok here's the headstock pictures. The shape is PRS with a bit more swoosh to the curves and it's a little pointier.

IMG_0523.jpg

Another view

Then I glued the body wings on. I was glad I saved the off cuts from the wings, they made clamping a lot easier on the curves.

Clamped up

And I bound the fretboard, it's not scrapped down flush yet. I also managed to glue my fingers together and to my shirt. :D

Fretboard

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to continue on with all the routes on the body.

Ok here's the headstock pictures. The shape is PRS with a bit more swoosh to the curves and it's a little pointier.

I really like that headstock shape. I might steal it for my LP build coming up in 2008. Hope you don't mind...

The body glue up looks weird in the photos. Looks like there are gaps. Is it just the shadows?

• 3 weeks later...

Well my original plan for routing stuff was delayed untill today, first day i've had off in ages were i haven't had to do a mountain of things.

First up i routed for the trem and then the pickups.

Trem and pickups routed.

In this pic you can see in the spring cavity were the router bit fell out of the router while i was going, stupid new router. I went back to my old one after that!

The routing on the back.

Since the day was still young i decided to forge ahead and do some carving with my trusty angle grinder.

It's still very rough but i reckon it looks quite good.

IMG_0628.jpg

I did have a small slip though. Linky.

Any ideas on the best way to fix it?