Finally, progress!

zandro

I finally got a chance to use the bandsaw and spindle sander in the woodshop at school today, and rough cut the wings and headstock for my guitar. For those of you who wanted to see the CAD drawing transformed into real wood, here it is!

I've started a blog to track the progress of my guitar, so you can see the pictures there. Here ya go!

Building My Guitar blog

dude that looks nice! is the arm-cut goin to be EBMM petrucci style? I like them

I don't know for sure - I've read about the cut on the EB/MM JP and it sounds nice, but I won't try to duplicate it exactly - I'll just remove material until it's comfortable. But yeah, chances are it'll be closer to the JP cut than a standard Strat-style cut.

i like the shape much more in real wood

thats exactly what i was thinking wes. I wasn't really crazy about the shap while it was just a cad drawing, but this looks awesome!

Aww shucks ... 't'weren't nothin' ... :D

Thanks a lot for the compliments guys, it really means a lot to me, this being my first guitar and all.

Tonight I managed to get the holes for the tuners, the switches, and the pot drilled. I'll have pics up on my blog tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow my dad will have time to help me cut the cavities for the electronics using his milling machine.

Lookin awesome...like a ric, but not a ric....didnt you say something about using walnut tho?

I was going to use walnut, but ended up with mahogany, as I'm more familiar with the tone [never had a walnut guitar before] and it was cheaper. I figured it was better to go with a known variable, instead of building my first guitar with a wood I've never used and taking the chance that I might hate the tone.

I love the bridge  I have one one my Custom 7 String. IMO they're the most comfy hardtail bridges available

I don't know about comfy yet [though I'm sure you're right] but I was totally impressed when I got it. I can't believe how heavy and solid the thing is!