What Is The Exact Definition Of A 1 Piece Neck?

i really dont know the exact definition of a 1 piece neck. some people on the internet say it is a neck without a scarf. i am not sure what it actually is.

Scarf joint refers to cutting a straight piece of wood and regluing the cut piece back onto itself to created the angle of the headstock (short answer). Cheaper way, may be stronger but who knows. I am sure you will soon get many opinions. Also has been covered many times here.

i really dont know the exact definition of a 1 piece neck. some people on the internet say it is a neck without a scarf. i am not sure what it actually is.

Scarf joint refers to cutting a straight piece of wood and regluing the cut piece back onto itself to created the angle of the headstock (short answer). Cheaper way, may be stronger but who knows. I am sure you will soon get many opinions. Also has been covered many times here.

but im not asking about a scarf joint. i just wanted to know what a 1 piece neck was. i know all about scarfs, but i here the term "1 piece neck" used loosley.

but im not asking about a scarf joint. i just wanted to know what a 1 piece neck was. i know all about scarfs, but i here the term "1 piece neck" used loosley.

I would consider a neck with a scarf joint a 1 piece neck.

but that`s just me.

don`t know if some of you will agree with me on this one, but I don`t really care. lol

I am not sure if there is any kind of "official" definition. I have always related one piece to a neck without a scarf joint or joined heel block. Funny thing is that I also thought of a multi laminate neck blank that was large enough to not need a scarf joint or joined heel would qualify. So I guess to me it is not as literal as a single piece of wood. I know some companies refer to solid neck blanks large enough to cut an entire neck out of without joining as a one piece (thinner wood blanks that require scarfs and or added heel blocks as just neck blanks).

I guess I never really thought too deeply about it, because it never seemed like a big deal. I can see how it could be a point of confusion, but that is pretty common. Things like "tonewood" which used to refer specifically to wood used to create sound (as in soundboards, carved plates and such) is now used generically to refer to anything used to make an instrument. Some people are really confused by that, but some people just accept it as what people say now. Pretty much have to just roll with it, because we have been and probably will keep on hacking up the terms and definitions.

Peace,Rich

Not sure what most think but my thought is, One solid piece of wood, not including the fretboard or maybe a heel cap. otherwise it's laminated together in some way or another? A heel cap is for asthetics, so is a headstock overlay, a fretboard is needed. so any thing else means it's more that ONE piece of wood with glue joints a far as the structure of the neck. So that's my take on it. JMHO!!!!!!!! :D

mk

Just to be contrary, I always thought 1 piece neck was used to distinguish between a laminated and non-laminated neck shaft. I've been known to describe my necks as '1 piece neck with scarf jointed headstock'. I'm not sure where I picked this up from, but it made sense to me that the 'pieces' referred to the number of laminations comprising the neck shaft, with heel and head being detailed separately.

I'm obviously outvoted on this one, and I'll freely acknowledge that your system makes more sense....

Just to be contrary, I always thought 1 piece neck was used to distinguish between a laminated and non-laminated neck shaft. I've been known to describe my necks as '1 piece neck with scarf jointed headstock'. I'm not sure where I picked this up from, but it made sense to me that the 'pieces' referred to the number of laminations comprising the neck shaft, with heel and head being detailed separately.

I'm obviously outvoted on this one, and I'll freely acknowledge that your system makes more sense....

Thats how I've always thought of it too, so you're not alone :D

Edited by ProfDrum

OK, here's another- I always think of a one piece neck as being the fender style neck with no seperate fingerboard, and a skunk stripe in the trussrod route. So I guess there is no one definition for "one piece neck" :D

Being Fendercentric (new word of the day) I've always thought of a one piece neck this way too. I guess it's all in your perspective. :D

OK, here's another- I always think of a one piece neck as being the fender style neck with no seperate fingerboard, and a skunk stripe in the trussrod route. So I guess there is no one definition for "one piece neck" :D

well, I always though like this too...

"I though one piece" was neck and scale toghether... but we may be wrong, I don't know

edit:

well, in this topic he agrees with us:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=34302

Edited by kiki