My Custom Design Guitar

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye ive just ordered some scrapers of Stew Mac to round off all edges on the guitar.

So basically its an attachment to let the strap holer piece sit where it would about on a strat.

Yep. The whole point of the horn on most guitars is to balance the neck and the body. When there's no horn, or if the horns are too short (SG), you end up with a neck heavy guitar. Which is really annoying to play.

Another option is use a smaller, lighter headstock (like the Telecaster).

Must say it looks a lot better with the neck on! I'm quite curious how it will look when it's done!

I didn't know before that emg also had cheaper pickups B) My first reaction was: Well....if you think EMG's are cheap....What do you call an expensive pickup :D

I'm guessing it's this pickup.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...For_Guitar.html

If you want an even bigger challenge, try making your own pickups! :D

Zeb- Don't worry about anything but following thru with your guitar, doing the best you can, and enjoying it.

I think you're doing fine for your first attempt, at 13.

My first was a complete dog, but I loved it, because I did it myself.

Edit: deleted reference to posts deleted by mods.

Edited by orgmorg

But let someone do something a little different and the vultures all gather round for a little pecking party.

Hmm...you joined today just for this? Come off it...who are you really?

Or maybe you just don't know how to read? There's been little but positive and constructive criticism in this thread so far. No one's telling him not to build this guitar. Everyone is telling him to keep going and he's doing pretty well so far. No one is suggesting that he shouldn't pursue an original design.

On the other hand, originality for the sake of being different rarely succeeds. And it really doesn't matter what other people have built, original or not.

I can speak from experience --that design is going to be difficult to play. Without an upper horn, it's really hard to achieve balance. Without a well-thought out lower bout, it's going to be annoying to play sitting down. But there are ways to fix/ameliorate some of these issues -- before it's too late.

See? It doesn't matter if it's original, if he's not going to like to play it. And it's a shame to put in all that work if it sucks to play.

I think 6-string ought to log out and sign back in under his usual name.

There is nothing special about originality. What counts is a beautiful, artistic design that is structurally sound.

Yeah. Nothing special about originality.

That's why we get so many posts about tele's, strat's, PRS's, etc. Why bother with original when you can copy someone else's 50 year old design?

Dude! :D The fact is, more traditional designs LOOK GOOD. I personally would not buy or build a guitar with the shape of Zeb's guitar. That's not a knock against Zeb, just my personal tastes.

Also, the 50-year-old designs are still in production for a reason... because they 1) work 2) look good 3) are practical.

Here's a guitar I designed and built.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/Ge...llow%20project/

It's an original design, yeah... but the point is, it looks good. No, it is not a knockoff of a production guitar. It is not a copy of Gibson, Fender or PRS. I actually designed it myself.

And no, it ain't finished with nitro. I can't afford that stuff and have nowhere to spray. I use a super secret oil mixture applied by hand. I'll share the super secret recipe with you if you share pictures of all the guitars you've built. :D

Zeb is on the right track. When I was 13, I didn't even play guitar. My woodworking was confined to building little cars and making bows-and-arrows. Kudos to Zeb for taking on what is a pretty daunting project for a 13-yr-old.

The comments are directed towards the shape of the body, which is perhaps original, but does not balance well with the neck and headstock shape and may not be practical to play. Zeb will decide this for himself when the guitar is done.

Zeb, did you build that neck?

Edited by Geo

Yes everyone I built the neck, unfortunately i havnt taken any photos of me working on so i cannot prove myslef.

besides im 13 where would i get the kind of money to buy a neck.

Im not one to not believe someone but that neck looks waaaay too good for a 13 year old. Sorry if you did actually build it though

Yes everyone I built the neck, unfortunately i havnt taken any photos of me working on so i cannot prove myslef.

besides im 13 where would i get the kind of money to buy a neck.

Cost more to build one buddy.

Hey, let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

He says he built the neck-cool.

What kind of trussrod did you use?

How did you make the access hole for the adjusting nut?

These are the sorts of things we like to talk about here.

Edited by orgmorg

Hey, let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

He says he built the neck-cool.

What kind of trussrod did you use?

How did you make the access hole for the adjusting nut?

These are the sorts of things we like to talk about here.

Yeah I'm interested too,

Also how go fretting your first neck?

Where did you buy the fretboard?

How did you shape it, was it difficult etc..

don't really like the body. doesn't really come off as original simply because it's so impractical and lacking any real design forethought. you could in theory make any random shape and call it "original" otherwise, but it doesn't make it original shape if it simply doesn't work.