7-string

fidgec94

Im curious about ppl's opinion on the 'ole 7-stringer.....i've never played one myself but the idea is kinda appealing. Ive seen ppl on ebay selling them with excuses like 'couldn't get used to it' etc.

If you bought one only to find that you couldnt adapt to stretching to the low B, could you not just forget the 7th and play it like an ordinary 6string? Maybe even remove the extra string altogether (assuming it wouldn't put the trem totally out of whack)?

Ibanez's budget 7-sting (RG7321) looks kinda cool and not hideously expensive either, wonder whether its actually worth the cash.....

Anyone got a fav seven string??

If you bought one only to find that you couldnt adapt to stretching to the low B, could you not just forget the 7th and play it like an ordinary 6string? Maybe even remove the extra string altogether (assuming it wouldn't put the trem totally out of whack)?

It depends on your playing style, I suppose.

Personally, playing it like a regular 6-string wouldn't be so simple. For starters, the neck is a lot wider. The feel would be much different. More importantly, I usually use my thumb to finger the low E string when playing chords/rhythm guitar (e.g. D/F# chord). I don't think I can do those stuff with a 7-string, at least not as easily as I do it today.

it does take some gettting used to, i just like the fact the neck is so wide, your thumb has plenty of flat room to sit on when your doing lead work chording on the B does get a little.... "different" but ya get used to it

i like to tune mine like this 7-low e, 6-a, 5-d, 4-g, 3-b, 2-high e, 1-high b.

you can get some very cool tones this way. i use it for leads allot, you get a whammy esque sound in the upper registers, it's pretty cool.

i like to tune mine like this 7-low e, 6-a, 5-d, 4-g, 3-b, 2-high e, 1-high b.

you can get some very cool tones this way. i use it for leads allot, you get a whammy esque sound in the upper registers, it's pretty cool.

i've thought about trying that.... but i'd have to change all my sweeps just cause of that little string :D

it took a little getting used to, but about as much time as it took to get used to a low b.

once you go to the high b tuning, you are hard pressed to finda reason to retune and have to reset the trem balance again. :D

really though, i have played this a few times at different gigs, and everyone asks how i get the wacky tones for my solos... they search for the whammy, but he is not there, for i am the whammy master!!

After I picked up 7-string, I never looked back. It just FEELS right to me. I have two 7 strings: Danelectro Mod 7 and Ibanez S7420FM. Both of them are awesome guitars, but my fave is the Ibanez. Here's my advice, though: you have to play one before you can decide. I realized I wanted to go 7-string the moment I tried one. I don't know if its the same way for anyone else, but that's how I decided.

what type of music do you play? jazz 7 string is great. punk (curse you all) you get some crunchy extended low chords. (shmucks) blues essentially a whole other string to solo off of. its really a nice solution if you got lanky fingahs. and dont just buy it cause of vai and satriani, they use regular 6s a bunch. try it out first. dependant on your playing style too.

I had two Ibanez 7strings a '91 S5407 (I think I told this story already...) and a RG7421. I personally like the hardtail one (RG) better, but if I would go back and do it again, I'd get the seven string with the extended scale. I played BEDAGbe and AEADGbe and the B string got kinda frappy when I tuned down. I had to go find some custom GHS strings (a .056+010's set) to keep it from getting too spongy. Once in a blue moon I'd find a .060 and that'd fix it, but the longer scale would be better.

Ibanez necks are skinnier so if you gots little hands like me, I'd stick with Ibanez--but only the S or RG models. The double cutaway one that the Limp Bizkit guy played isn't all that great, and you'd have to invest more money into better pickups--but you see them cheap on ebay all the time. Not sure about other guitar companies as I only played Ibanez's back then. Now it sits in a case in the closet.

7 Stringer For 166 euro + 23 euro delivery, how could you go wrong? That said, I can't even afford it :D I just need 19 people to send 10 euro (or dollars :D)each and I'll be riffing lower than your average riffing in no time.

/me goes off and keeps dreaming....

I have this guitar and it is very good for the money,but the ppl living downstairs dont like it cause I have it tuned down a half step and a bass booster in my rack which makes the floor shake when I play one B)

i use d'addario xl120's, with a sinlge 48 on the bottom. so my high b is a .009. basicly it is just like a standard 7 sting pack, with a lighter bass string, .048 vise .052. if you wanted a high a, i think you should use a .010 at the lightest, there is going to be allot of tension there.

Mmm, I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Maybe it was an AX, it's been a while since I watched the video (see if you can download the video of the track from mission impossible 2).

Actually, I'm pretty certain it was a PRS.

Who knows, I am having trouble trying to find still pics of the video.

If anyone can confirm which model the guitar was in the clip, please do!

Yeah Wes endorsed the silver sparkle PRS. He claimed he wasn't good enough to play a seven string. I just think his endorsement was up with Ibanez and he jumped on the PRS bandwagon. I recall that when he did, the finish was a hot item and it seemed every fanatic was after a silver sparkle PRS. Personally I still like tortoiseshell and the Gretsch Orange finishes over quilt tops.