First Try

That's a really smart shape I think the bottom is fine flames are only flamy(a word?) at the top.

I like it alot actually but is that switch not aweful close to the tailpiece and in the way of the knobs? (it would be for me but i tend to flail around trying to adjust the sound mid tune.

I take it you'l be playing smooth clean jazz licks on this yeah? :D

Thank you for the comment I have worked really hard on this guitar.

I play metal and blues the switches knobs are custom made and really small so that it will not be a prob

I play with my hand over the bridge and the switch is with in easy reach with my pinky to change pickups

I call it Firelight body is bass wood, neck curly maple and fingerboard ebony with humbuckers Jimmy page style coil tapped, and gotoh tuners and jumbo frets

Very cool stuff! I gotta agree with what rick said, the way you made it similar in shape to certain designs, while using a flame design is very cool. I think the shape of the guitar is well done, especially the flames/horns. It all flows very well. The specs sound very cool as well and this should end up one killer rig. Whats in store for the finish on this bad boy? Are you gonna go flame style and do some red/orange/yellow type burst or something different? Either way I think its great, nice work. The electronics cavity shape is pretty neat also. J

dam thats harsh I was crossing a gibson and a strat together I like the simple lines of each and this is my guitar not yours. I spent two months working on a shape that was both NEW and old at the same time and it reps both. :D

Hey, look. I get down on my knees for no one. You asked for opinions -- I gave mine. It wasn't meant to be harsh, it was meant to be constructive. My opinion (constructive criticism) stands, the design looks unfinished. And maybe two months seems like a long time to you (which makes me assume you're a teenager), but I think you need to spend a bit more time on it.

But if you want harsh, I'll give you that too -- those 'flames' look more like wiggly antlers. The rounded bottom just looks out of place, like you got bored halfway through designing this thing, and didn't have the patience to see it through.

But you're right, it's your design. Next time post a warning to people that you don't actually want any criticism, just someone to [expletive deleted]

Wow, Mickguard! Who peed in your Wheeties? Have you been taking Simon Cowel lessons? Your opinion is what it is, and that's fine, but there's no need to be rude about it.

FWIW: I kinda agree with mickguard, but not entirely. I really enjoy the shape in general. I can see where you tried to combine the strat & LP with a flame twist. That part I like a LOT. But... the bottom end looks a little too big. Maybe it's better in person, and if it works for you, that's great, but it does look a bit too hefty. I agree also with the pup switch looking too close to the tailpiece. Again, if it works for you, more power to ya.

In any event, the build looks pretty decent so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of finish you'll be using.

I like it! I haven't seen another one like it, and it doesn't look gaudy, and that means, it's a cool, original design, woohoo. :D

Now if *I* were building it, I'd make the points on the flame tips a bit sharper and perhaps do some type of cutaway (more flames coming up toward the bridge?? you have plenty of space) to the bottom end.

It certainly has a cool vintage vibe, and I see what you are getting at. In the end, it's YOUR guitar and your opinion (at least on aesthetic design, considering it's playable and functional) is the only one that matters!

On a side note, there IS a difference between constructive criticism and acting like a jerk. Inwardly, it's about your attitude toward the person being criticized, outwardly it's about the subtleties and wording. There's no need to be insulting and inflammatory about someone else's project. This is a great forum to come to for advice and constructive criticism, and lord knows that's why I'm here... :D Just treat others as you'd like to be treated and everyone will be happier, I would think.

For a dude who plays in a death metal band, I'm a big ole hippie... B):D

I thank everyone for their input

I happend to be 39 and this is my first try at a guitar, I have built swords and other axes as well as many furnitures projects. so I have been around the block so to speak.

The flame tips are about as pointed as you can get away with without being to sharp to get a stap button into.

The guitar is going to have a pickgard/ control plate that will be flame shaped and with that the rounded end looks great not to much.

Agine I thank the input and the diffrent veiw points about my First guitar I was going for something that would hold up over time so I will still enjoy play it when I am 70

Mickguard no one asked you to get on your knees.

The bottom of the guitar is the exact shape of the LP gibson right down to the nats butt I am sorry if you felt like I was dissing you that was not my goal. I guess I should have expected to get some negitive veiws about something that is not a traditional design. as for the assume part shame on you, playing and crafting something frome the heart is ageless.

once more thank all of you for your veiws :D

The bottom of the guitar is the exact shape of the LP gibson right down to the nats ...

Are the posts & pups in the same place as on a LP also? If so, that's really interesting that they'd look out of place on yours but "right" on a LP. Maybe it's the longer body horns that make the bottom look fat.

I am doing this guitar at a guitar building school here in chicago called specimen guitars

due to the horns and the scale length it moved them forward about 1/2 inch up this mesurment is as we know is set in stone for the diffrent scale length it was one of the things I did not forsee. will correct on next one I build. you know how it is first one you find out things you take for granet on factory made guitars. I play an epi special LP and the more I work on mine the more flaws I find on the epi

thanks for the input the body is kinda long but thats what happens when you lay a LP down and then a strat P-bass down to get the general shape. the horn/ flame helps me find the 12th frett Ha Ha. I will shorten down the base on the next one I build. I have also thought about fusing a parker fly and a flying V together nad calling it the P V Fly

drdenman - im sitting here with my girlfriend whos an artist and we both made a mutual decision

i noticed that the flame design has a lot of potential

it reminds me of the "lost" surfboard designs which are very cool. the one thing that i notice tho is that it seems imo that the top part of the flame is a little big

and about the remark made about the bottom of the guitar being rounded

i think it fits very nice :D i wouldnt have it any other way

Kenny