I Need Pre Cut Fretwire

anyone know of somewhere to get pre cut fretwire? i dont want to resort to getting straight long pieces. dunlop has packs of 24, but i need one for 28 frets for my next project. can anyone think of anything?

You're going to have to trim the pieces to fit anyway, regardless of whether they're pre-cut. So you'll pretty much need to have the same tools either way.

That's just outright stupid the way Warmoth does that. Cut the crap and just say the exact amount in feet or inches.

I once emailed asking them exactly how much "one neck's worth" really is, and I think the answer started with : " I think it's...." Or " I believe it's...."

Guess they have former presidential advisors working for them. Just not in the cards to give a straight answer.

It's best to get fretwire in long enough lengths so that you can run it through a jig to put that necessary radius in it. It's almost impossible to accomplish this on short piecec without kinking the wire.

I buy mine in about 1.5 ft lengths in bulk from Stewart MacDonald. My guess is that it takes 2 or 3 lengths for each guitar.

Disclosure...I am not a former presidential advisor!

Sorry, I know you PM'd me but life (new work schedule) seem to be getting in the way of life right now and I forgot about the PM. I'm pretty low on fret wire right now. The biggest I have is equivalent to stew-Mac's medium/higher

Width .092

Crown .048

Tang .062

If you are interested, I can send a set of 30 frets for $20.00 Plus $1.99 shipping.

You can send paypal payment to sales@zdguitars.com.

Don't forget to let me know what radius you need.

I sell my frets the same way I install them myself. I like precision radius (through a precision bender, not bent by hand) frets because it make the mating between fretboard radius and fret a precise match and eliminates a lot of crowning work. You still have to trim to length and dress but it eliminates the need to purchase a bender. When used with a pressing cal it yields excellent results for a person who just wants to build a guitar or two and doesn't want extra investment. I suppose the hammer method would work to but I personally press my frets in.

I found when I hand bent wire and hammered them in it caused more leveling and crowning work and the way I do it (by no means the best or only way) I have less work to do and have more height on the frets when I'm done.

But like I said, it's a personal preference and in no way intended to be better than anyone else's method... I get tired of the flame fests that happen around fretting!

It's really each to their own when it comes to fretting...

Edited by zyonsdream

hi guys

thanks for all the replies. the only reason i like to have pre cut is becuase i know i will acually have enough. in the past when i bought from stew mac, they said you needed 6 ft, and i bought that. and if it had been a 24 fret, i wouldnt have had enough. and that was with as little waste as i could get. if i had known that lmi sold it in rolls, that would have been much much better. but i ended up buying some ss frets from warmoth before i saw some of these more recent posts. i hope they dont screw me over, they are very undescriptive of their stuff. ill let you know how it goes. and the reason i needed 28 is becuase my next project is a jackson soloist copy, with a 28 fret cocobolo fretboard. thanks again guys, and this is helpful for next time.

that would work, but in the past, i diddnt have anything to cut them with that accurately. for a while i used a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade. but that only got them to a oversized cut. i could never find any cutters that could cut through it. but i just ordered a good pair, so i should be good for the future. that is a good tip though rick. thanks!

I bought some pre cut frets from this guy.

Denis

Helps out guys. thanks

LIZ

I checked out those auctions and there is no mention of quality, but his feedback is perfect. I guess if you are buying precut wire your knowledge may be limited to the hype on eBay.

Not to add a plug here but I do sell wire on ebay in 24" lenghts. A high quality german brand 3 sizes. No second class garbage. The only issue is you need tools. Even though it comes in rolls prebent you will at least need a good set of nippers, No I dont sell those.

Also I believe Soapbarstrat sells wire if asked just not on ebay. He probably has a larger selection.

I have seen some prepackaged wire, precut with a brand name on the label, but it has been a while since I looked at ebay listings.

Buy a roll or three.

It is so much cheaper in the long run, then all you have to do is bend it to whatever radius you want.

You build many guitars, would this not be ideal?

Stew-mac sells tubes of 40+ feet don't they?

Edited by RGman

The German stuff Woodenspoke sells seems top notch to me, I had some Stewmac wire on hand and in comparing the two varieties I noticed a difference in quality between the two. The German stuff Woodenspoke has seemed to be of much higher quality. The Stewmac wire would become misshaped when cut and generally felt softer and would bend more easily, where as the German stuff cut much more cleanly and seemed harder. If I were to buy bulk or even for just one guitar I would definitely try to find a way to grab the German stuff. Just what I noticed on an initial comparison anyhow. Can't give any long term comparisons yet. J

From one roll of LMII wire, I was able to cut at least 28 frets (probably more, I think I used the same roll for the last 5-7 frets on another neck), and I still have enough here for at least 5 more 56mm-wide frets.

From another, I've so far cut 25 frets (including a zero fret and two I had to toss), and there's still enough left for the better part of another neck.

About the radius thing -- the first roll of LMII wire perfectly matched the 12" radius of a fretboard I bought from them. On the other hand, I've had problems installing the wire on another neck (that I defretted). It's over-radiused for that neck, apparently, and just didn't sit well using the pressing caul. I've managed to hammer most of them in now, but there are a couple that just don't want to stay down (I think I took off too much tang at the ends).

I think in the future I'll build a radius-jig.

In the meantime, I bought a pack of branded frets, just because that was the more expedient thing to do for right now.

Guys that want the German wire, but in straight lengths like to buy from me, because I can take that 10" or 12" radius wire, and run it through my fret-wire straightener/ de-radius machine.

Of course I would prefer guys that do lousy fret-jobs go use some Korean junk wire, and leave the good stuff for the pros.

I've seen it happen before : Some German company makes a great product, but suddenly feels they are not getting what they want, and then the product is gone. What I'm trying to say is sell your house and invest all the money in German fret-wire. Haha !

If one were to invest less than $30 in Stewmac's Fretcutter (#0619), there would be no need to buy "pre-cut fretwire". This is one of those quality tools that you just must have. It's also possible to grind down the edges on a hardware store nipper and get by for much less.

Some areas of guitar construction are just too important to skimp on the details. And a home made fret bender costs less than $10! So...my advice is to buy larger quantities and invest in the tools that will allow you to learn to do high quality fret jpbs. A quality fret job is so important to the function and playability of a guitar and it requires a lot of attention. That also means trying out different sizes and styles until you know how each affects function and playability.

guys,

like i sad before, the only reason i wanted pre cut is so that i know that i would have enough. becuase a few times i diddnt have enough when i ordered the recomended. but this is good news, i contacted warmoth, and said i wanted a straight answer to how much fretwire comes in "one necks worth" and here is the reply

Hello,

We cut the wire from the large spools we get and depending on the size

of the spool it will either be 3 roughly 24” lengths or 4 roughly 18” lengths.

It is more than enough for us to do a 24 fret 6 string bass so most basses

and guitars should be well covered. I hope that helps.