Earvana vs Buzz Feiten

Snork

they're nuts on the top of the guitar that hold the strings. buzz feiten is some weird metal crap involving like tightening how close the strings are together i dont know much about that. but the earvana is a piece of plastic that holds strings closer together so that they stay in tune with eachother or some crap like that. all i know is that it sounds like something that would go well with an acoustic. the main pros for it are chords apparently. with buzz feiten i dont know, vai supports it so i guess its good for legato ****

buzz feiten is some weird metal crap involving like tightening how close the strings are together i dont know much about that.

what in the?????? run a search for earvana.... u'll find info on it and somewhere in that thread we uncovered some info on the buzz system... (just for the record there's no "metal crap" envolved) or help out the site with a donation and the info is in the download section.

ps, that yamaha is pretty nice

I talked to a guitar tech at a local Washburn dealer about a month ago.

He said the buzz feiten system has to do with the nut, the relief in the neck, intonation and even the angle of the frets are changed. He said if he told me anymore he'd would be forced to kill me. :D

I guess those guys have to pay a lot of money to learn and use that technique.

Honestly, I can't tell any difference between a regular guitar or a feiten Washburn guitar. It must be fairly subtle.

I talked to a guitar tech at a local Washburn dealer about a month ago.

He said the buzz feiten system has to do with the nut, the relief in the neck, intonation and even the angle of the frets are changed. He said if he told me anymore he'd would be forced to kill me. :D

I guess those guys have to pay a lot of money to learn and use that technique.

Honestly, I can't tell any difference between a regular guitar or a feiten Washburn guitar. It must be fairly subtle.

Yeah it's very subtle.

SO subtle in fact, that the frets are NOT angled differently.

The Feiten system involves relocating the nut, adjusting the intonation (it has to be "off" by a certain amount), and following specific guidelines when tuning the guitar.

Korg makes a tuner that has the settings pre-programmed.

If the Feiten system involved angling the frets, it would probably cost more.

The current price for a retrofit is around $175, and there is no way that could include pulling off the fretboard, installing a new one, a full fret job, as well as moving the nut...

And Mr. Buzz Feiten also gets a little cut of that $175.

Thank God for patents!

B)

And it costs around $400 to become a licensed Feiten retrofitter.

Last time I checked it was $400 to become a Retrofitter.

(i.e. to convert existing guitars to Feiten)

You probably just get a basic set of instructions and plans on how it's done.

To become an Installer is probably (alot) more.

If you want to be a full-on installer, you have to go to Feiten for a week-long class or something like that. You bring your own acoustic guitar (they're harder to convert), and leave a fully licensed Installer.

Now, it doesn't really make any sense to me.

Once you know how to convert a guitar to Feiten, it cannot be that hard to make a guitar from scratch that has the Feiten...

the buzz system has a compensating nut, and the frets are crowned in such a way that the guitar is perfectly intonated across all strings and all notes.

BUZZ FEITON FRETS ARE NOT STANDARD FRETS. they are angled so the parts of the fret that actually touches the string is in the right place for intonation. the compansating nut compansates for the scale of each string to maintain a perfect 25.5, 24...etc. it is a precise system, but it's not voodoo. i had a Tom Anderson with the system for a few years, it's a big difference in sound, but not in feel. once you hear a guitar in perfect tune, it makes all other standard fretted guitars sound like poo poo.

just run a google seach, you will find all kinds of explainations.

once you hear a guitar in perfect tune, it makes all other standard fretted guitars sound like poo poo.

Please don't forget, the guitar is not in perfect tune, speaking of the mathematical relations of frequencies at intervals, it's rather well-tempered. Point is, we've grown to be more accomodated to the "well-tempered" tuning, although it has a certain amount of "off"-ness.

so long

ace

P.S.: What I could gather from the last thread was: The Earvana does about as good a job in improving intonation and is $30 plus installation...

Actually, what the Feiten system does is to attempt to adjust the theoretical string length for the pitch changes resulting from the increased tension close to the nut as compared to around the twelfth fret. It's really not clear to say that it's capable of making a guitar play"perfectly in tune" - it compensates for some of the guitar's inherent inotnation problems, especially in first position. That said, it has it's own problems:

1. You have to tune the guitar strings according to the system, which involves dropping some strings slightly flat of their "normal" pitches, so you have to have either a very accurate calibrated tuner, or one that is setup for the system.

2. The guitar can only be set up for a specific set of string gauges, so if you change your setup from say .009-.046 to .010-.052, you'll have to have it redone.

3. Any chromatic instrument is inherently out of tune, since the notes are based on a mathematical average, not on the actual harmonics of a given key. How much it helps depends very much on how good your ear is.

I've played the Anderson's, and while I can tell a difference, for me it's not worth the setup cost - your mileage may vary. I'm not knocking Buzz, he's spent a lot of time doing the research, and basic physics says it will work, I just don't personally find the results compelling. Hope I don't lose my "Tune it, or die!" t-shirt over this :D

ha ha goat you rule! i personally dont think its worth it, unless you play alot of open cords. i dont so i wont spend that kinda cash. and if i understand correctly the nut is moved towards the bridge by 1 or 2 mm.

i have a freind who has a tom anderson with this system maybe he'll let me borrow it and i will get the lowdown for you guys. we dont need no stinkin coarse ! we can do it our selves! buzz feiten, buzz shmeiten thats what i say!

they're nuts on the top of the guitar that hold the strings. buzz feiten is some weird metal crap involving like tightening how close the strings are together i dont know much about that. but the earvana is a piece of plastic that holds strings closer together so that they stay in tune with eachother or some crap like that. all i know is that it sounds like something that would go well with an acoustic. the main pros for it are chords apparently. with buzz feiten i dont know, vai supports it so i guess its good for legato ****

Well put! :D

I just don't personally find the results compelling. Hope I don't lose my "Tune it, or die!" t-shirt over this B)

I've heard the description that, if a normal guitar is 80% in tune, the Feiten system will get you 90% in tune. I have a hard time justifying the expense. I'd do a Plek way before I'd do a Feiten. I never realized that they actually relocate the crowns of the frets with the setup - how do they do that I wonder?

My compromise is to tune my guitar to all fretted notes, rather than open tunings (like Buzz has you do it with his system).

-Sven

I'm not against moving forward with technology but if the standard tuning system was good enough for SRV, Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, David Gilmour, ... I would think that it would still be good enough for me to continue on with it.

I also understand that some people are cursed with having "Perfect Pitch" hearing - which should drive that type of person away from playing a guitar. If someone has that curse and insists on playing guitar, then maybe the Buzz system is a blessing.

I'm staying old school on this. A little slop never bothered me - actually I think it gives music a little personality. Jimmy Page wasn't always "right on" with his playing but it still sounds great to me.