crossroads

ultraman

ummm.... his pick hand doesn't even move for half that video sujjesting he just max's the gain and taps/ pulls off everything not the hardest thing to do, but he had some nice runs, one of this other videos was cool though, some of the scales he was playing thru were.... umm.... "interesting"

oh ya, the dual is cool i tried to learn it a couple years ago, got about half way thru and just lost interest, i've never been able to learn whole songs, i always get inspired half way thru and start writting my own songs...

ummm.... his pick hand doesn't even move for half that video sujjesting he just max's the gain and taps/ pulls off everything not the hardest thing to do, but he had some nice runs, one of this other videos was cool though, some of the scales he was playing thru were.... umm.... "interesting"

Ah, you didn't catch the fingerpicking. Yeah, it's very subtle... almost no noticeable movement. But he does do massive hammer/pull's for his chromatic runs (which is apropos.) His (older) Wieniawski video has more traditional picking... along with some nice sweeps and pivots. It's too bad he restricted the Moto Perpetual. His scales are quite "interesting"... very Garsed-ish (maybe Holdsworth-ian too :D)

Oh! And to the original poster, I re-read my post. I didn't mean to stomp on your accomplishment. It's just, well, so 15 years ago for me :D (Man! I'm old... good thing I'm gonna die soon B))

i dont know about that. the instrumental stuff pretty much is a monotonous tone. its a screech. I can certainly respect it. By all means instrumental players are people who i look up to. but i cant respect the fact that mostly its just scales and improv with no real melody. the melody is the hard part. Finding a good melody takes some guys years. its a delacate balance of tone and shiz. thats where instrumental players fail in my mind.

i dont know about that. the instrumental stuff pretty much is a monotonous tone. its a screech. I can certainly respect it. By all means instrumental players are people who i look up to. but i cant respect the fact that mostly its just scales and improv with no real melody. the melody is the hard part. Finding a good melody takes some guys years.  its a delacate balance of tone and shiz. thats where instrumental players fail in my mind.

Melody is in the ear of the beholder :D. For example, some people just love Ornette Coleman (sax) but is too atonal for my taste.

When people talk about "tone and feel," the blues is what's usually first mentioned. The blues are nice and simple... heartfelt... it's "comfort food" for the ears, your brain digests it easily, that's why it's soooo much loved.

Complex chords require complex "melody." Jazz comes to mind. What might sound like lots of scaluar runs involve intricate interplay with the underlying accompaniment. There is melody there, it's just involes a different mindset to hear it. "His playing's not too fast, you just need to listen faster B)"

Classical pianist/violinists play cadenzas that make guitar shredders look like they're standing still yet they don't get this kind of criticism... weird.

i dont know about that. the instrumental stuff pretty much is a monotonous tone. its a screech. I can certainly respect it. By all means instrumental players are people who i look up to. but i cant respect the fact that mostly its just scales and improv with no real melody. the melody is the hard part. Finding a good melody takes some guys years.  its a delacate balance of tone and shiz. thats where instrumental players fail in my mind.

Melody is in the ear of the beholder :D. For example, some people just love Ornette Coleman (sax) but is too atonal for my taste.

When people talk about "tone and feel," the blues is what's usually first mentioned. The blues are nice and simple... heartfelt... it's "comfort food" for the ears, your brain digests it easily, that's why it's soooo much loved.

Complex chords require complex "melody." Jazz comes to mind. What might sound like lots of scaluar runs involve intricate interplay with the underlying accompaniment. There is melody there, it's just involes a different mindset to hear it. "His playing's not too fast, you just need to listen faster B)"

Classical pianist/violinists play cadenzas that make guitar shredders look like they're standing still yet they don't get this kind of criticism... weird.

exactly.more complex music has more complex melody.take "to live is to die" by metallica.

you may not understand it(yet)but rest assured others do.

also with faster music it's not about the individual note as much as the musical phrase

reminds me of the old drummer joke "hey I can finally play 64th notes on my bassdrum" - "oh yeah? play one"

On the original topic: I've been practicing Eugene's Trick Bag for quite some time now and I can pull off most parts half way decently. It's had a great part in my technical development and it's a fun little thing to do. The transcription was in the german edition of "Guitar" about two years ago (as a revisited classic, we're not THAT backwards) and it got 9.5 on a difficulty scale of 0 to 10, hehe. I'd like to see the piece that'll get 10 on their scale.

In Germany, there is an event called "Guitar Fight Night" that is based on the crossroads duel, with 8 guitarists each playing twice with different opponents and the audience does not choose the best one player but the best matchup, which is a cool thing. I haven't seen it in person but it sound sweet.

so long

ace

try listening to bitches brew or john mcglaughlin's birds of fire. that is some of the most complex stuff in the world. but the melody is unmistakable. the reason i bring up blues is because nothing is really hidden with the blues. yeah i love the instrumental players i think their out of this world. but wheres the FEEL!?

bah to you wes. BAH! lol. i know theres feel i want to play that stuff but i just dont respect it as much.

Bah! I think that playing on the most expensive high-end stuff and sounding like a video game from the early 80's it IS respectable. :D

check out rusty cooley.i am serious.he will blow your mind.makes yngwie look retarded

i think this is very misguided. Yngwie has soo much more feel (i hate this word cos its what shredders are accused for lacking, but some shredders lack it more than others, and guitar tone can count for alot of it) anyhow, Rusty is influential, and inspires me a little, however i reckon Yngwie could take him to school. Malmsteen plays every note with such conviction and grace its fluent, and melodic, musical. rusty plays like a machine, every note precise, but there is a certain lack where a note can run into another, and sound excellent. i may warm up to Rusty more later, but i still think Malmsteen is the master.

theres my 2 cents!

mike