Black Machine Guitars

why NOT thin? I'm sure the answer is likely to be in the weight factor for the most part, and 'sleek aesthetics' secondarily.

I don't think thin guitars are the realm of 'cheap', though. It takes a bit of work to pull off a thin guitar.

i have played one of the snakewood necked models and the thin body leads to a very different playing experience, very impressive stuff... sleek and very fast

these things sound awesome and you certainly dont lose tone by having a thin body... its a bit too simple just to say more wood = more tone... quality of materials is much more important than quantity!!

any SG fans out there!!! they have quite thin bodies and are known to have a very resonant and lively nature compared to their chubby older siblings

Are they like SG thickness? I wonder how an SG would sound without any of the darker sounding qualities -- ie. with 25.5" scale, thin alder body, maple bolt-on neck, maybe a Floyd?

It's a bit of a side point, but a 25.5" scale is a "darker" quality...

But I agree with what's been said before. Quality over quantity. I don't see how 1.75" became standard thickness for electrics, and I don't think amount of wood/body depth has nearly as much to do with sound quality on an electric, as it does on an acoustic.

Are they like SG thickness? I wonder how an SG would sound without any of the darker sounding qualities -- ie. with 25.5" scale, thin alder body, maple bolt-on neck, maybe a Floyd?

It's a bit of a side point, but a 25.5" scale is a "darker" quality...

But I agree with what's been said before. Quality over quantity. I don't see how 1.75" became standard thickness for electrics, and I don't think amount of wood/body depth has nearly as much to do with sound quality on an electric, as it does on an acoustic.

what do we mean by 'darker' here?

to me 25.5" scale guitars have extra clarity and make harmonics easier... not what i would call 'dark'

another point to consider since a floyd rose has been mentioned is the size of the trem block on the guitar... it will stick out the back if you make the guitar too thin!!

Thin guitar does not at all = thin tone. :D

You have to remember that an electric guitar is indeed an acoustic instrument. The electric pickups have to sense the strings, and the wood construction will indeed change your tone quite a bit. But once your amp is cranked and the gain is turned up the effect is lessened.

There is no reason whatsoever that a very thin guitar wouldn't sound good. It might sound a bit different than what your used to, but better or worse would be in the eye of the beholder.

That being said, I've never played a blackmachine first hand, but I've heard nothing but good things about them and hope to play one sometime.

Chambering is quite popular around here. Swimming pool routs are probably reviled more for the fact that they're ugly and sloppy than they take away much material.

I like the fact that big beefy bodies FEEL solid and perhaps give you a feeling of mighty soundness. LPs are awesome for this, as are Explorers. It just isn't true however. Build quality and choice of materials contributes to a larger extent than pure mass of material. I'd put my favourite thin-bodied Ibanez S bolt-on against most people's neck-throughs in terms of tone and sustain any day. I'm not a believer in all that voodoo. It just doesn't exist in this really-real world.

Blackmachine are in the position of being able to use choice woods in a small limited run of generally custom builds, so corners don't necessarily have to be cut, so the instrument design can be slender or whatever is on the board. The designs and build look solid as far as I can see (although the backplates look obtuse to my eyes) so I can't see why the instruments shouldn't play well or sound good. Never played one, but the basis for how they are built looks good and I presume they are indeed decent instruments.

I swear by the Ibanez S shape. It's awesome, yet i'd like to try the radius/JS models out for size....or the seven-string S for that matter....

The thin 2mm tops could be obtained from LMI or other sources for a acoustic back sets... I like the fact blackmachines uses dense hard woods as they allow them the thin bodies while structural integrity is maintained. I have 2 parker flys and they are light and resonant.

And they save your back...

Xanthus is right your electronics play a bigger part in the sound of your electric

what do we mean by 'darker' here?

to me 25.5" scale guitars have extra clarity and make harmonics easier... not what i would call 'dark'

another point to consider since a floyd rose has been mentioned is the size of the trem block on the guitar... it will stick out the back if you make the guitar too thin!!

I meant that the longer scale emphasizes the lower end frequencies, making the tone darker.

To me :D

i.e. bass scales. Longer scales make for a deeper sound.