A Guitar Is Born

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite honestly, when i saw the template at the start of the thread i was totally hating it. but seeing it in the flesh (so to speak) i am loving this build. can't wait to see the finished product. workmanship is spot on too!

cheers

darren

urm.... so i ran into my first big issue and im not sure how to fix it... :D

DSC00227.jpg

the bridge is set at its lowest and the string is way to far from the fretboard... only thing i can think of is the neck angle? if you look at the light wood of the guitar neck that sticking out. its thinner at the bottom as it is at the end...

please help! :D

this is why we always say to plan your guitars fully before starting... from both the front and the side.

You have a big difference to make up, generally tehre are two options. angle the neck or recess the bridge.

angling the neck can be done with shims, sometimes a thin strip of veneer at the back of the cavity is more than enough to correct it.. but yours looks like it needs more. I would make a full sized pocket shim, a wedge shaped shim that fills the neck pocket completely to ensure good contact between neck and body.

recessing the bridge works well but you have a long way to go so would not be advisable. actually i might be tempted to recess the bridge 4-5mm then let the neck shim do the rest

The neck is already slightly angled ........ the wrong way :D

I like Wez's idea of the full pocket shim, glue in about 3 mm of wood then angle your neck pocket template and route down until the fretboard at the top end of the body (looking sideways at the guitar, like in your last pic) is sitting flush on the body and the neck is sitting about 1.5 mm higher at the pickup end. In other words the neck at the top of the pocket has got to come down about a mm and at the bottom of the pocket up about a mm. You don't want to recess the bridge you would have to cut into the finish. Good luck with it :D

If you cut an angled shim which tapers from 3mm or so at the pickup end, down to a feather edge at the end of the heel, you'll probably end up with good action. I'd cut if from the offcut of body and glue it into the pocket once you're sure it works. If you fit it carefully to the shape of the pocket it should be pretty inconspicuous.

urm.... so i ran into my first big issue and im not sure how to fix it... :D

the bridge is set at its lowest and the string is way to far from the fretboard... only thing i can think of is the neck angle? if you look at the light wood of the guitar neck that sticking out. its thinner at the bottom as it is at the end...

That happened to me on my first one too. Seeing you do it makes me feel a LOT better. This is also why the test fit is so important to do BEFORE doing any finishing. These hard-learned mistakes will serve you well in the future.

:D Listen to what these guys are telling you. They're putting you on the right track.

+1 WezV and Setch on recessing bridge and glued in neck shim. Looks like you need to attack it from both angles.

I would trace the bridge outline on the top of the guitar, mask it off with blue tape, use my dremel to move the bridge down about 4 -5 mm, shim the neck with a nice angle shim, then glue it in.

Hey blink. As many people have said it looks great! The shim sounds like a good idea but is there anyway you could just route a ramp into your neck pocket instead of routing your bridge into your nicely finished top as your neck pocket is already routed? I reckon if you dropped the front edge of the pocket 1.5 - 2mm and left the pickup side the same height your neck angle would be pretty close and if you needed slightly more angle then you could use a thin shim. Remember altering your neck pocket by just a small amount will make your headstock drop down bringing your strings parallel to the fretboard. What are other peoples thoughts?

It would be a massive shame if you were to route your bridge lower and slip and take a chunk out at this stage of the game. I routed a ramp into my neck pocket no problems the first time. Unfortunately the angle was wrong though and had to re route it once the top was curved... that proved to be alot more difficult :D. In the end it was all sweet though!

Goodluck!

It would be a massive shame if you were to route your bridge lower and slip and take a chunk out at this stage of the game. I routed a ramp into my neck pocket no problems the first time. Unfortunately the angle was wrong though and had to re route it once the top was curved... that proved to be alot more difficult :D. In the end it was all sweet though!

Goodluck!

You are 100% correct, there is never a need to angle the neck and sink the bridge, either by itself will do the job. The only reason that the strings are sitting so proud on this guitar is that the neck is angled the wrong way, and is currently leaning towards the bridge. Once the neck pocket is fixed there will be no need to cut into that lovely finish and body :D.

You are 100% correct, there is never a need to angle the neck and sink the bridge, either by itself will do the job.

i suggested both because just sinking the bridge would mean sinking it quite far which causes other problems. Just angling the neck back might create more of a neck angle than i would like and the neck is already low in the pocket. Both solutions work well but combining them would get you closest to the feel of a normal guitar from where it stands now.

so maybe there is never a need to do both... but i do think it would be the best solution here

The only reason that the strings are sitting so proud on this guitar is that the neck is angled the wrong way, and is currently leaning towards the bridge.

the strings are sitting proud because the neck is set too low into the body, this is combined with a relatively tall bridge to give the excessive string height

The neck may be angled slightly backwards in the photo but if it is, it is only very slight so that is not the main problem here. cutting more out of the front of the current neck pocket may lead to the fretboard actually sitting below the top of the body... which is why we suggested adding more wood rather than removing it

You are right Wes. Does a fretboard on a les paul finish hard against the top? The reason im asking this is there is still a couple of mm's of neck material above the guitars body so he still has room to sink it down. Thats the only reason i thought of it that way. Correcting the neck angle will bring the strings closer and he may not have to sink the bridge. Whatever you do Blink make sure you are comfortable with it and have thought the process through. :D

You are right Wes. Does a fretboard on a les paul finish hard against the top? The reason im asking this is there is still a couple of mm's of neck material above the guitars body so he still has room to sink it down. Thats the only reason i thought of it that way. Correcting the neck angle will bring the strings closer and he may not have to sink the bridge. Whatever you do Blink make sure you are comfortable with it and have thought the process through. :D

yeah, a lp fretboard does sit on the top... but that section of the top is angled too. This guitar has a flat top and the neck is already set lower than is normal for a bolt-on neck on a flat-top guitar... and thats without allowing for the fact a TOM is a good 4-5 mm taller than a hardtail you might normally see on guitars built this way

see how high this strat neck sits off the body, the scratchplate make it look less

mossinkoff.fretwerk1_website.jpg

so i still reckon th easiest fix will be to raise and angle the neck with a full pocket shim as well as sinking the bridge slightly.... but thats because i tend to think about how each change will affect the others. changing 3 things slightly means you wont have to create an extreme neck angle

:D comment deleted B)

A neck pocket is about 8.5 cm long, so all you have to do is angle it up 2.3 mm at the end of the pocket.

It should look like this on a flat top guitar

2gseall.jpg

If the scale is about 65 cm, there will be 26 cm to the bridge, that is around 3 times the length of the pocket so a total rize of about 0.7 cm. The strings are about 1.0 cm high at the start of the body so that takes you up to 1.7 cm. That will allow you to install a tune o matic bridge with no sinking and lower the action as low as you want to go.

Click here for proof :D

Have a look at this earlier post you can so see it is angled the wrong way. Tiny mistakes in the pocket angle can stick the wires way up in the air.

Edited by Muzz

dont get personal Muzz... you have your way of doing things and i have mine!! the only reason i quoted you was to try to clarify why i had suggested something different to you... not to actually call your advice into question. The OP can make their own decision based on what tehy think they are capable of.

most of my responses have been because i know some people on this forum would rather suggest recessing a bridge than stopping to think about neck angles for a minute. I do not think that recessing the bridge would be the way to solve the problem as the bridge would need recessing alot!

i suggested a full pocket shim because it is what i would do. I know fully well that this guitar could be fixed by just doing that and nothing else... but in my opinion it would not be the right way to fix it. That guitar you posted may play absolutely fine... but i assure you some players would find the extra neck angle on a flat top guitar distracting.. I know thats daft to some but i tend to do things that dont feel too different to what people are used to unless i feel its a major improvement.

So i feel (others are free to agree or disagree) that for aesthetic and comfort reasons i would rather sink the bridge slightly and have a little less neck angle. It would feel more like what the average guitar player is used to and the bridge pickup wouldnt need raising so much higher than the neck pickup.. something i always think looks odd! You said there was never a need to do this so i felt it was important to explain why i suggested it!!

i have already looked at the photo of string hieght before posting any response... and i can see the maple is very slightly thinner at the end of the pocket - suggesting its angled backwards. I can see that, but i do not feel that it a major issue here - it is very slight and would be corected by the full pocket shim i suggested anyway

:D

You know the great thing about making and modifying guitars Wez, there is no right or wrong, even though I love to do things the wrong way. Maton do a great job on recessed bridges, and you are right that different styles of guitars feel better to different people.

One of the fantastic things about this forum is that everyone is so helpfull, and of course every helpfull poster wants their fix to be the one that saves the guitar in peril, its a good thing, not a bad thing.

The shim idea is good, but the neck pocket at the superior end needs to be deeper.

Edited by Muzz

The shim idea is good, but the neck pocket at the superior end needs to be deeper.

who ever said that it didnt

if you look at my first post on this issue i did suggest a wedged shim that fills the whole pocket. Now its up to the OP whether they would prefer to make the wedge seperately or glue in a flat piece and route the slope... but i guess my mistake was to not tell them exactly where the thin end of the wedge should be, i guess i thought it didnt need explaining