fav strings

MikeB

what are your fav strings  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ummmmm.......GHS or whatever the heck is on the one I'm playing at the time! I'm still experimenting to find what my fingers like the best (pick?? what's that??!?!). I refuse to use a pick and when I see a bass player using one I get all wierd inside - don't know why because some sound good with one.

Anyway, they can't be too sticky and can't be too slippery. I'm using 4 different kinds on 4 basses right now and I'm likin' the flatwounds the best.

D'Addario XL115W 11 - 49 with a wound third for tuning in Eb (two of my guitars)

D'Addario XL110W 10 - 46 with a wound third for tuning in E (my third guitar, mostly tuned E for transcribing)

• Tried Slinky's, they felt slinky. :D They just felt really weird.
  • Boomers sounded odd, they were missing that nice bright ring of new strings. A brand new set sounded eight months old. Maybe it was just my luck.
  • I had 2 sets of Markley rust out in a little under a week.
  • If the Fender strings are anything like the ones that came on my Strat. Dear god, I never.... ever.. want to touch anything like those strings ever... ever... again.

I usually use Ernie Ball 11's. I like the heavier feel for bends and I think the bigger strings make bigger sounds. I also LOVE the Elixer strings but refuse to pay 11-15$ per pack. I recieved a trial set in the mail when they first came out and their awesome. Smooth feel and they last about 4 times longer than regular strings. But if I find a good deal I'll use just about any strings. :D

Bingo im with you, i use ernie ball power slinky's (11s) because my guitar is tuned down a step to D and more oftenthat not its in drop C lol.

heavy gauge strings and detunedguitar makes itsound a lot nicer. i hated my guitarwhen it had 10s and was tuned to E, it was just nasty and janglly

I usually tune down to full D but thats as low as I go typically. I agree you need to go up a gauge or two when tuned down or the strings get to wiggly and rubberbandish. Anyone else try/prefer the elixers?

I've got a guitar specificly set up to play SOAD stuff so i use roto's 11-52

well i use erinie ball regular slinky because thats what rye from ROOTED uses! oohhhhhh!!!!! ahhhhh!!!!!!!

oops sorry thats myself? blatant plug.............................................

..........................................................rootedmusic.com

hehe i accually buy them by the case! i usually go through a set sometimes two a show! or i rip them all off at the end of the show ! the kiddies like that!

i also get them for 3$ a set wen i buy them this way!

D'Addario XL115W  11 - 49 with a wound third for tuning in Eb (two of my guitars)

I use GHS boomers because they're relatively inexpensive and provide the heaviness. They go 11- 50 which helps when I drop D tune a half step down (C# to Eb). Plus they don't stay on my guitar for too long since I put a fresh set on for every show. Altho I'm considering going to 12's

I use Elixers for my acoustic--LT top Med bottom.

Any reason why this poll needed three different Fender strings? I used Fenders a few times and they were ok. D'Addarios are good, but not heavy enough. Ernie Balls kept breaking on me. DRs are too expensive but I'd try those.

I usually tune down to full D but thats as low as I go typically. I agree you need to go up a gauge or two when tuned down or the strings get to wiggly and rubberbandish. Anyone else try/prefer the elixers?

I used Elixirs for a few years after my Taylor 612ce came with them. Started using them on all my guitars. I liked them, the tone was good and they last. Switched to Thomastik-Infelds and never looked back. They sing. I don't think they are great for rock, but jazz and blues they are the best. :D

yo,

i actually voted fender stainless, but broke the top E on the ibanez, so i stuck on Rotosounds. The Rotos are way better i think, i managed to squeeze the action down quite a bot, its now like 1mm 12th Fret High and 1.5mm 12th fret Low. This is a good bit better, they sound clearer too.

on the ol Samick which is my bros now i used to have heavy guage strings tuned normally, cos i needed the thickness to get a nice tone, used 11-50 and 10-52. action was quite high. my wee gibbo has 10-46 on it, for drop D, i might put 10-52 on it...

gonna make my mate put some 10-60's on his explorer :D

cyas

mike

I usually tune down to full D but thats as low as I go typically.  I agree you need to go up a gauge or two when tuned down or the strings get to wiggly and rubberbandish.  Anyone else try/prefer the elixers?

I used Elixirs for a few years after my Taylor 612ce came with them. Started using them on all my guitars. I liked them, the tone was good and they last. Switched to Thomastik-Infelds and never looked back. They sing. I don't think they are great for rock, but jazz and blues they are the best. :D

I have T-Is on my jazz-box, and Elixirs on my main solidbody. I like 'em both. The Elixirs have such a smooth feel and mellow tone, I have a hard time playing on normal rounds (they feel sticky now).

The T-I flats on the jazzbox are great. They seem to intonate better than other brands - the needle on my tuner doesn't wobble around as much. I'll have to try some lighter T-Is on my solid. Which ones are you using?

-Sven

I usually tune down to full D but thats as low as I go typically.  I agree you need to go up a gauge or two when tuned down or the strings get to wiggly and rubberbandish.  Anyone else try/prefer the elixers?

I have T-Is on my jazz-box, and Elixirs on my main solidbody. I like 'em both. The Elixirs have such a smooth feel and mellow tone, I have a hard time playing on normal rounds (they feel sticky now).

The T-I flats on the jazzbox are great. They seem to intonate better than other brands - the needle on my tuner doesn't wobble around as much. I'll have to try some lighter T-Is on my solid. Which ones are you using?

-Sven

I have been using George Benson's Jazz: Custom Flat Rounds

For my Gibson Tennessean.

I use Power Brights for my solid body guitars. I prefer the heavy bottom series for sustain. The TI's really sing.

I like the Plectrum's for acoustic. I switched from Elixir's earlier theis year and will probably never go back. The T-I's feel soft, but play hard.

La Bella Makes THE best bass strings. I had a set on my bass for 4 or 5 months, nad finally removed them because I wanted to. They sounded great even after 4 months of use. PLUS they only cost like 30 bucks for three sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yea, sam ash!! Ernie Ball's strings sound the best on guitar, but GHS's LAST. D'addario light top, heavy bottom (custom lights) for acoustic.

I used Elixirs for a few years after my Taylor 612ce came with them. Started using them on all my guitars.

Me too.