The Relic 62-03 project completed!!!!

DaveK

What do you do when the company that you have worked for for 9 years lays you off?

If you are me, besides looking for a job, you finish the 3 projects you have been working on for over a year!!

I wanted to post my finished project that I am calling the 62-03 relic.

The concept was simple, I wanted the looks of a 1962 road worn strat (the "62") combined with modern playability & features (hence the "03" as in 2003!)

http://fullservesite.com/davek/IM000534.JPG

The Specs are as follow:

USA custom guitars neck with a c contour. The frets are Dunlop 6000's.The neck width is 11/16th's but I will be cutting the nut 5/8th's to allow for more room on the e strings (this is a trick used by Tom Anderson & others).

The body is also a USA custom guitars item. It is a VERY light piece of alder

Hardware is all Callaham & sports their famous stainless steel trem block.

http://fullservesite.com/davek/IM000527.JPG

The neck & bridge pickups ar Frailins. They have an awesome vintage tone that must be heard to be believed

The bridge pickup is something I am especially fond of (if I say so myself)

I HATE the sound of a single coil bridge pickup. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just does not suit my tastes. I love the sound of a humbucker...but I wanted to keep a vintage & "real 62 strat" look to the project.

Although the bridge pickup may LOOK like a singe coil, it is a Seymour Duncan J.B. junior that I got under the single coil cover & applied fake polepieces to.

http://fullservesite.com/davek/IM000531.JPG

It looks like a single coil, but sounds pretty darn close to a humbucker.

I did a "down to the brown" relic finish on the back of the neck. It has just enough laquer to protect the neck, but it alows me the bare wood feel.

http://fullservesite.com/davek/IM000526.JPG

The checked nitro finish on the body not only looks cool, it also serves a purpose for better tone.

When you relic, you don't apply much finish at all...furthermore, when the finish is checked, it alows for even less finish to mess with the tone of the wood.

The only thing I have left to do is to put on the nut & dress the frets. I am trying to decide if I want to do the fieten system or not.

I have done quite a few relics, but this is the one I am most proud of...I think it is the best of the old & best of the new!

http://fullservesite.com/davek/IM000529.JPG

I hope you relic lovers out there like it

kudos man, i think i looks sweet. that is a tired lookin guitar(intended as a compliment). i bet it sounds awesome too.

killer job bro, really nice.

props senor. the only pictures i have of my "relic" job were taken on film, and my scanner blew up a long time ago, so i never got a chance to import 'em. it was a really old harmony that my friend had that i happened to dig up.

oh well, nice work anyway. i'd love to play it. it looks really user-friendly.

Guest AlexVDL

Hey Dave, it looks awesome!! You've done a great job, I love it. I like the dirty yellow parts, how did you achieve this??

The checking is super, too bad I can't get the poly relic to check :D

Nice pics dude... I just love relics!

Very nice dave. Great-looking relic job on all your artistic media (wood, plastic, metal), especially the pickup pole pieces. Could maybe hit the pickguard screws and neckplate a little harder, and wear some dirt into the exposed wood areas, but that'll come with playing anyway.

The finish checking is especially nice. I've seen a lot of relic finish jobs that end up looking like broken glass, with the cracks going every which way, but your checking follows the wood grain really nicely, really authentic looking.

Best of luck on the job hunt. Sometimes you need time more than cash, but building guitars takes both!

Thanks everyone for the kind words on both the project as well as the job status

It's a scary time for me with 2 kids a home & a tough job market...but things somehow, someway, always seem to work out.

There have been a lot of questions regarding the checking & how I got it

The key is that the nitro clear coat has to be thin...I then freeze it with air conditioner recharge solution

It's funny as hell & my favorite part if relicing...the whole body frosts up & you can actually hear the finish cracking!

Regarding the metal, I have sent out a tutorial to several folks on how to do it, If Brian wants to post it as a tutotrial, I can send it to him.

The dirt & yellowing are a combination of airbrushing stu mack dyes and mixing dye & wood putty to achieve the "gunk" effect

I am also going to experiment with "razor checking" on poly bodies...my thought is, if I score the finish with a razor & then freeze it, I might be able to get the poly to crack

Oh, and the polepieces on the "faux single coil" are glue sticks from a hot glue gun painted with a mixture of brown dye & metal paint!

Scott:

If you dig REALLY beat up relics, check out the new GUITAR PLAYER magazine

The Fender Custom shop is doing reproductions of Stevie Ray Vaughn's strat.

They are only going to make 100 of them & they are charging $10,000 each!

As a special "forum members deal" I will be offering my relicing services for HALF that price (ROTFLMAO) :D

Can you believe that price?????????

Sweeeet Job! Looks great!

Good luck on the job hunt. If this blizzard we're having in Wisconsin makes it to Detroit you can always shovel walks for little old ladies. Great way to earn guitar fun money!

Seriously, I hope things work out for ya. Keep up the good attitude, it helps a ton when you're out pounding the pavement. :D

Very very impressed. the checking is tops.

Good luck with the work situation.

• 8 months later...