My #3 Project: Explorer

svartberg

Ok guys... this is my 3. project this year but its second on guitar project... i have started a Jackson "modified"explorer i will use walnut for this one! so here are specs:

25" scale, 24 frets

one peace Walnut body

Croatian oak, cherry - Neck

Cherry fretboard

2 x Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6 Humbucker

Gibson LP bidge & tail piece (black)

I bought walnut today:

dsc01298yx1.th.jpgthpix.gif

And this is how the guitar should look like:

dsc01197de7.th.jpgthpix.gif

I think this is going to be a long project... i don't have cherry but i will buy it next week!

and i don't have lots of time so...

P.S. Sorry for my bad English i'm from Croatia :D

Edited by svartberg

That's what I thought! 25" scale, perhaps?

Don't apologise for your bad English just because you are Croatian, Svartberg. Most Croatians speak better English than English people speak any other non-English language :-D

Your Explorer reminds me somewhat of my 27" scale EXP project which i'm just finishing off.

How dry is your walnut? Being a 1-piece body, it may bend in the middle ("cup") if it isn't dry. I'll be interested to see how the oak turns out. Looking good!

Sounds plenty of time to me! If your Explorer is to "normal" Gibson/ESP specifications, then you'll have problems reaching the 23rd and 24th frets. The only way to solve this is to bring the bridge (and neck) forward slightly, or have a longer than normal scale length. My 27" Explorer neck just fits 24 frets onto the "normal" ESP EXP design, so 25.5" might stretch 23, but you'll more than likely have 22 usable frets.

Depends on the bridge and how you're mounting it. If it's low-profile and your recess is correct, perhaps a degree or two of neck angle if the fingerboard is pretty low and close to the body. String spacing may be slightly wider (check the specs on the bridge and locking nut) which could affect your fretboard taper marginally, although not to a huge degree.

Are you going specifically for a genuine Floyd or some other floating bridge design?

Oh man, my bass looked like that before i got a router to do the dirty work with. I did the entire thing by hand sanding though, because i didn't know how to use the router. You're in for some fun! about 5+ hours of it! I say turn on a TV, get a comfortable work station going with various grits layed out in front of you and wrap your wrists with ace bandages!

If you're using power tools then disregard everything i've said lol.

Progress so far:

Body fresh under the saw:

zuqhb8.jpg

Body sanded:

2qs9o2f.jpg

just a thin coat of paint over the body (not dried yet), to see marks and where to sand...

11qmrk5.jpg

i will post pictures when i'm finished routing for the pickups and neck pocket... cheers

i usually just take the guitar out into direct sunlight, and let the sun tell me where to sand, no need to spray a coat of finish to figure that out... if direct sunlight isn't an option, buy a really bright light :D