Blood Wood Guitar Body

Ok so Iv got my hands on some blood wood and I went ahead and cut out a body blank just to see what I could make of it, and man this stuff is heavy I was hoping that after cuting the blank out that it would lose some weight but WOW I just dont know if I can even use this one,

Ill post pics today when Im at the shop

Ive also started a wenge body and a zebrawood body Both heavy but not to bad, All the bodies are my Supper Strat design

Well I was tinking about making it a hallow body with a black walnut top Ive had laying around. it may be a fun idea, but my Planer is down and I need to level the blood wood to get a tight glue up. So I may just try and build as it is

nah matt, take the time and do it proper. If you finish it as it is it will probably never get played so put it to one side till you can work on it. I like the sound of bloodwood and walnut together, i think the colours could work nicely

nah matt, take the time and do it proper. If you finish it as it is it will probably never get played so put it to one side till you can work on it. I like the sound of bloodwood and walnut together, i think the colours could work nicely

Well I could rent a planer for a day and just take 1/2" off and glue on the walnut, It would look good. Ill think on it

You could make a quicky router jig, they are easy to make, you can even make one out of all MDF, buzz off a 1/2" in a few passes with a fat straight or spiral bit and then sand it flat by using a smoothing plane or jack plane as a sanding block. Then glue up the walnut. Heck of lot more work really, but you'll end up with the same finished product and wouldn't have to worry about renting tools. Of course if you don't have some of the tools mentioned it may be cheaper to rent the planer, though I have no idea on prices for renting a tool like that.

How heavy is the bloodwood, a lot heavier than purpleheart? The PH I have is pretty damn heavy and from all the bloodwood I've seen and picked up they seem similar in certain ways. The other body you spoke about is it a combo of Wenge and Zebrawood? Because that sounds like a WICKED combo that should look killer. When I was out look for some nice Ziricote for fingerboards, I ran by some beautiful Wenge and really fell in love with that wood. It never piqued my interest really here at PG for some reason and I saw quite a few projects from all you guys, only once I saw and felt it in person did I really come to appreciate it as a wood. Beautiful stuff really.

Either way, sounds like another cool looking project, look forward to checking it out. Best of luck. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

How heavy is the bloodwood, a lot heavier than purpleheart?

Its WAY heavier, its like packing around a Big fat frozen turky :D

The other body you spoke about is it a combo of Wenge and Zebrawood? Because that sounds like a WICKED combo that should look killer

Oh no thats 2 bodies, One Wenge and one is zebrawood

When I was out look for some nice Ziricote for fingerboards, I ran by some beautiful Wenge and really fell in love with that wood. It never piqued my interest really here at PG for some reason and I saw quite a few projects from all you guys, only once I saw and felt it in person did I really come to appreciate it as a wood. Beautiful stuff really.

Im really in love with the stuff!! the grain on the body is wild, but man the slivers SUCK

Make a super thin out of it.I would go 1 1/4" thick total...then make the control cavity big enough for two volume,2 tone...and use two pickups...

That might get you down to around 7 or 8 pounds.

trust me..if it is too heavy you will not play it...

I was thinking about that, Plus I could do a big bevel front and back

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

If you're gonna mate it up with another wood, I wouldn't use something dark like walnut. I just don't see enough contrast. I made this LPjr from bloodwood & longhi. The red & yellow were a very nice contrast.

wip03.jpg

What you'll need to watch out for if you go with a lighter wood is the sanding dust. As you can see from this pic, the red dust really gets into the grain of the other wood.

What you'll need to watch out for if you go with a lighter wood is the sanding dust. As you can see from this pic, the red dust really gets into the grain of the other wood.

....one reason why using a wood like walnut for the top would be good. Like Wez I also think the color combo would look nice together.

Hey I just wanted to Post a link to the Build thread of this Beast

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=38943