Drak - The Phoenix

Then I think it's time that everyone pulls out of me. Make your own necks! Make your own necks! I don't wanna.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do for you.

14/15 years later, I still feel no need to make no steenkin' necks, and still perfectly happy that way.

But...I always marched to my own drumbeat, some people don't do that.

And...I always go out of my way to state openly that I am no more than a backyard amateur builder

with minimum tooling at best, I have no professional ego or credentials to bolster, therefore,

I can do pretty much what I want and fly under the radar, as it's just a fun hobby to me. :D

That's why I don't buy them from Warmoth - I can't afford it. I've not had a single playability or quality issue with the Dano, Epiphone, Karosa, or other necks I've bought, AND they've been bought for a fraction of what Warmoth costs.

...it's just a fun hobby to me.

+1.

Well, 95% +1.

I sell bodies on eBay for an ounce of extra cash, but not to try and make a living. It also has helped me refine and improve my abilities and allowed me to explore new aspects without absorbing any real cost.

Edited by avengers63

I like your threads Drak! And the woods are just beautiful. I think I read earlier that you just look for potential in all woods with any kind of figure. I can see where you can find some pretty stuff for cheap if its only partially figured, and how you can work that partial figure to your advantage.

btw, what kind of camera are you using? Its getting some pretty sweet low light shots, and I noticed you're not using a flash in most of your pics... unless you are using a bounce flash or something like that....

Drak,

I love both the gold and the black hardware. Both have there place and look great. I lately have been thinking on mix the two together. Like use the black buttons on the gold tuners with the black inserts, or the black studs mixed with gold bridge and black saddles and so forth. Basically mix up two sets in a way to compliment both. :D

Mike

the wood you seem to be able to aquire astounds me

great design; why not make ebony pickup rings though?

Having made rings before, they seem to consume oodles of time for relatively little result. That and they are constantly in danger of exploding from the slightest chipout or grabbing due to their delicacy :-\

i am playing abotu with mixed hardware on something atthe moment. black and chrome on a denim blue finish. i quite like the mixed hardware look and agree that gold with black could look better than either alone!

You could even go as far as to disassemble the TOM and tuners to mix and match components. Expensive however, unless you have room for a reverse instrument to soak up excess hardware :-D

I finally got here to see the pics! Great work Drak. That DC is growing on me, I like the chambering too, same like your "Iceman" inspired guitars from the beginning. And I like how your "patented" 5 hole configuration follows the contour of the body. From both, I think that depends on the finish. I like both gold and black with that body, black is always my favorite, but gold is very classy on that body.

Thanks everyone for the nice words :D .

Wood: I find it sort of weird that people think I come up with crazy wood, because I normally just surf the 'net for it, and it's not hard to find. I think I got this top for about $25.00 give or take.

Pkp rings: I have always liked the standard plastic pickup rings, there's something about plastic pkp rings and pkp covers/bobbins that make a guitar look like a guitar to me. Call me old school I guess :D .

Thanks Maiden, I think the chambering will make a very different sounding instrument than a typical Maple body.

Camera: It's just a basic Canon Sure-Shot I think, certainly nothin' fancy.

Hardware: Yeah, maybe you guys have a point, I have blended hardware before, like this one, where I used a gold bridge and black knobs, so I'm down with the mix/match thing.

BULLPEN-1.jpg

Wood: I find it sort of weird that people think I come up with crazy wood, because I normally just surf the 'net for it, and it's not hard to find. I think I got this top for about $25.00 give or take.

I think its more of a case that you have a talent for seeing the potential in a piece of wood that many might pass over. Add to that a good eye for color and finish and you have a winning combination.

• 2 months later...