Madeira Custom Guitars will be no more, soon

I've been thinking for awhile of changing the name, again, of my guitars. Originally it was Welsh Guitars, after my last name, then Madeira Custom Guitars, but I don't like that anymore, and people had trouble pronouncing Madeira, which means wood in portuguese(sp?) BTW. I am changing it to Matthew Welsh Custom Guitars, or MWCGuitars for short. I am currently transfering my website to the new address, and am thinking of doing a much more professional site layout, maybe even actually try to market and sell the instruments through the site.

My WWW thing at the bottom is still my old site, HERE is MWCGuitars so far.

Well, I've never really considered building full time (fantasies on occasion of course)

...but when it came time to name 'my' company ( :D )

...the one thing I always thought about was what would look COOL on the headstock as the inlay.

If the name would look like crap on a headstock inlay, or it was too long, or whatever, ...it got jettisoned as a company name idea.

Sales and selling is a very important part of making a living for yourself if that's what you're doing, so every 'edge' you can get is money in the bank.

Like Benedetto. That name just ROLLS off the lips in a very pleasing way.

= SALES.

Stupid parameter to judge a name by, eh?

Like, I would imagine...would anyone in the world have a problem with DRAK being on the headstock? I sez to myself, yes. You would be marketing to a somewhat selective audience. OUT it went.

...that kind of thing...my initials would only work if I could make them look cool on the headstock inlay... B)

So I always tried to figure out what name would be attractive to the widest audience and would look cool on the headstock. Ego and my initials had no part to play in it unless they would help it SELL!!!!! :D

Let's look at a few initials for example...

BBS = OK. Smooth on the tongue.

DCK = No. (!)

SPN = No.

GRS = Yes.

PRS = Yes.

PKT = No.

BVC = No.

There is a science to the way letters translate to the brain, some are pleasing and soft and acceptable, others are hard and overtly offensive to the brain.

If your livelihood depends on your sales, brother, I'm looking for a winner, subconcious or not.

Take Perry.

Ormsby. That name marks a + sign to the brain, at least it does to mine.

Orms = pleasing to the brain

by = also soft and pleasing to the brain

Ruokangas. Has a 'roll' to it. Good to go.

Gretch. Has that 'soft' ch to it. Good to go.

Gibson. Winner, obviously.

Ed Roman = Strength, power, good to go.

Seagull = I don't know how they stay in business. Wimpy.

Rickenbacker = again, has a 'roll' to it. Good to go.

You could sell 'Van Halen' guitars all day long because it has such a nice roll to it...

And on and on it goes. Naming my company would have absolutely nothing to do with my initials if I felt they weren't 'conducive' to sales in the end...

btw if you need a really awesome web designer my friend and i make some great sites. Ill send you my portfolio also. we work for cheap compared to so called "professional" web designers. we are fluent in practically everything. we'll even create a logo for one low price. let us know. we can make a sample logo for you

Thanks for the offer, but I've been having fun making my own website, which is just a free-hosted website. I'm not that serious about having a custom designed site, I want things to cost as little as possible right now. Anyways, my name gets around locally through word of mouth from players who see my instruments in the store and play them in bands, not the internet, so my site doesn't need to look that profesional.

Drak sounds fine to me, and I can totally picture it on a headstock.

Initials remind me of big corporations that are run by tons of people and make all kinds of compromises to make the most money.

I wish people with funny last names would make guitars, and have their name on the headstock, like the name Bumstead.

Wayne Chavel sure came up with some silly names for his guitars. I think at one point it was 'Mister X guitars " . Holy crap.

Guitars from China should have chinese writing on the headstock. Then when you call the music store to ask if they have any, the real fun begins.

One of my favorite last names is 'Lawless'. I guess that would be a cool name on a headstock.

Take Perry.

Ormsby. That name marks a + sign to the brain, at least it does to mine.

Orms = pleasing to the brain

by = also soft and pleasing to the brain

Ruokangas. Has a 'roll' to it. Good to go.

Gretch. Has that 'soft' ch to it. Good to go.

Gibson. Winner, obviously.

Ed Roman = Strength, power, good to go.

Seagull = I don't know how they stay in business. Wimpy.

Rickenbacker = again, has a 'roll' to it. Good to go.

You could sell 'Van Halen' guitars all day long because it has such a nice roll to it...

And on and on it goes. Naming my company would have absolutely nothing to do with my initials if I felt they weren't 'conducive' to sales in the end...

Drak, thanks for your comments. I selected around twenty names i thought could cut it, and decided on my first and second name (Perry John Guitars). I even photoshopped up an "inlay" on a headstock to see what it would look like.

However, i put the name ideas out to the public on MIMF, and a few other forums, and got my misus to email 200 or so people at her work. Every single reply came back "go for Ormsby". Personally, i was the last choice out of the list of 20 for me.

I think we get used to hearing our own names. So, when we apply it to something, it doesnt look right, or sound right. I bet "Paul Reed Smith" felt exactly the same way for Paul.

Now ive decided on a name, it has really grown on me. Im happy with the type font, my headstock shape, etc. It now "feels" good.

Personally, i think that you should use youre own name. Its unique, and not a throw away "word" or set of letters like ESP, or DragonSlayer or something. Not saying that ESP sux, but the "name" doesnt even compare to McNaught, Gibson, Paul Reed Smith, Baker, Bendotto, etc etc.

I REALLY like the name "Welsh" Guitars. I also REALLY like the name "Madiera" Guitars. I also really like the sound of "Whats that? Its a Matt Welsh!" I think "Welsh Madiera" Guitars is about as perfect as it gets. But, i really dont like initials at all, and i think that MWC Guitars is just too difficult.

But, it really doesnt matter what you call your guitars, i guess the workmanship and quality of design and manufacture will sell them. As Drak said, if that wasn't the case, Seagull would have gone bust years ago :D

Either way, have fun making them!

So far, looking good!

I like the overall look of it.

I think you should make a nickname for yourself, like 'cuss', 'cuz I like MCW way better than MWC, it has a much nicer roll off the tongue I think.

Like Matthew 'Cuss' Welsh....get it? (Cuss for 'cusstom', of course!)

Or Matthew 'McCaw' Welsh...(...and there is your logo, a McCaw!)

MCW just rolllllllllllls off the tongue.

MWC is like, 'I have to stop in the middle to pronounce that w, then finish it back up...

hehehehe..... :D

• 4 weeks later...
You could also consider avoiding adding the word "guitars" to it (or in Litchfields case "gutars" :D ). Who knows, maybe someday you will branch out?

HAH! I've NEVER noticed that before! B)

Not adding 'Guitars' actually makes sence, as I also make 'ukuleles.

my third project , which im doing at the moment(fretless bass) will definitely have a name on the headstock and a Date of Birth or serial no. on the back

so im thinking of the name JODA ,

because my full name is John Davey. I just pick the first two letter of my forename and surname and hey presto!

Does JODA sound ok? any ideas? :D

John. B)

Partly as a joke I am working under the name "JPL Guitars" JPL are my initials but the friend I'm building for is in the aerospace industry and does a lot of work with the other JPL (jet propulsion laboratories). It just seemed like an obvious match.

The other obvious choice is my last name but Loveland is a lot to inlay and would push me into using decals. I'm still considering legally changing my name to Gibson. :D

Does JODA sound ok? any ideas?

I think in spanish ( I know in latin) that's pronounced YODA! Go for it.

The other obvious choice is my last name but Loveland is a lot to inlay and would push me into using decals.

You could always inlay a cursive upper-case "L", cursive L's are really cool.

MWC is like, 'I have to stop in the middle to pronounce that w, then finish it back up...

MWC looks cooler, but MCW does read better.

$.02