Mockingbird

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I mostly sprayed some name-brand lacquer from Lowes/Home Depot. When I did the leveling wetsand, I sanded through in a couple of places (exactly what I expected) so I toughed-up the black and topped it off with a couple coats of leftover automotive lacquer.

The new spray system seems to be working out OK......

Pick up any tricks spraying this one that you'll incorporate into the next one?

It's hard to say. I sprayed the yellow Iceman basically at the same time, so I think I'll see how that one turns outbefore trying to think about tweaks in the process.

everything seems to fit together better - literally fit together better and also work well aesthetically

still very much your style, but the style is working - like the inlays which are very much your style, also done well and match well with the body colour

sorry avenger - hope it doesn't cause offence but usually there is something that turns me off - like the visable backplate mistake on the dragon or the neck alignment issues on cherry blossom, spam headstock on the mirror iceman. 1 or 2 things on each one that took away from it

the one thing i have spotted on this is the ghost of 12th fret dots - not really off putting on an ebony board... but the first thing i spotted was how well everything seemed to fit together (as shown in the shiny shot)

everything seems to fit together better - literally fit together better and also work well aesthetically

still very much your style, but the style is working - like the inlays which are very much your style, also done well and match well with the body colour

sorry avenger - hope it doesn't cause offence but usually there is something that turns me off - like the visable backplate mistake on the dragon or the neck alignment issues on cherry blossom, spam headstock on the mirror iceman. 1 or 2 things on each one that took away from it

the one thing i have spotted on this is the ghost of 12th fret dots - not really off putting on an ebony board... but the first thing i spotted was how well everything seemed to fit together (as shown in the shiny shot)

+1 to everything Wez said, except for the 12th fret dots comment... I don't see it...

I would be very proud of this build, Avengers! I don't know if you're hiding anything in it (You mention that you hide your mistakes) but this looks like professional work. I would buy this.

-Amiee

+1 to everything Wez said, except for the 12th fret dots comment... I don't see it...

I would be very proud of this build, Avengers! I don't know if you're hiding anything in it (You mention that you hide your mistakes) but this looks like professional work. I would buy this.

-Amiee

The 12th fret spot is there. I bought the board pre-slotted and drilled for dot inlays. Bits of the 12th fret dots needed to be filled in with ebony dust and super glue. It's invisible unless you're looking right at in with the light at the right angle. The flash in the pic made it visible.

Yes, I hid stuff, but not in the pics. There were a couple of gaps in the multi-piece body after glue-up that got filled with blackened epoxy, then camouflaged with a black-dyed back.

And if you want it, make me a reasonable offer. :D

Does it sound as good as it looks?!?

I suppose that depends on whether you think it looks like crap or not. :D Seriously though, it has a pretty wide tonal range. Even thougg it's 24 fret and the neck pup is pushed forward, the neck pup is still REALLY mellow. I suspect this is from the sapele base. The bridge has all of the bite it should have. I attribute this to the maple cap balancing with the sapele.