Intricate F-hole Ideas

I'm looking for some inspiration here.

I'm wanting to do a fancy f-hole that's all scrollsawn fretwork. I'm open to the idea of having something run into the bass shoulder as well.

The whole thing is meant to be a workhorse-like guitar in the spirit of the Tele thinline, but with some radical divergences: walnut body, canarywood neck, white pearl p/g, and vintage Teisco chrome pups/hardware.

So throw me some ideas or pics. Anything really. Inspiration can come from the oddest places, so you never know what might strike my fancy.

If you are looking for ideas Dover Publications has several books of stencil designs. I looked at the Art Nouveau one (here is a link) http://store.doverpublications.com/0486234436.html

and there were some potential ones in there. I imagine the Native Indain, plants and flower ones could give ideas as well as the start for templates.

Are you looking for ideas to get away from the long flowing flower vines and dragons?

Is there anything that you are into?

I'm just looking for something that would fit the overall mindset. I don't want it to be something you'd see every day, but the guitar isn't a showcase piece either. I just want something different that wouldn't be out of place on a workhorse guitar like a Tele thinline.

If it is for yourself, why not a stylized "J" for John?

That's what goes into the headstock - the inlaid J

you going to do the 3 or 4 pups like teisco?

4 pups on a 5-way blade, mimicking humbuckers.

what about some gears and stuff like the steampunk strat

I HATE steampunk.

Maybe something like asian floral or caligraphy.

Someone mentioning stencils reminded me that I have a stencil site bookmarked so I can look for scrollsaw designs. DUH!!! I just found these. They might work.

birds.jpg

cherryblossoms.jpg

Maybe this as a repeated block

basketweave.jpg

What about the birdies??

Decided that the cherry blossoms would be fine without them.

That looks like a great idea - problem is, it will get lost in the depth of the top....

idunow :D

The top is 1/4" thick, but the pattern is pretty tight. As the base is walnut as well, the holes will be pretty dark. They should just show up as black.

Edited by avengers63

What about the birdies??

Decided that the cherry blossoms would be fine without them.

That looks like a great idea - problem is, it will get lost in the depth of the top....

idunow :D

The top is 1/4" thick, but the pattern is pretty tight. As the base is walnut as well, the holes will be pretty dark. They should just show up as black.

You can always backlight it with an LED or something if it gets lost.

Here's what I finally came in on. It won't be every little detail that's pictured, but it'll be pretty close.

wip050.jpg

Great to see your projects going from strength to strength john...

Yes, there is a concern there...what I'd do if you like this and think you can pull it off neatly is...

finish the guitar, and if it doesn't show up as wanted, get some metalic gold model paint and a very fine brush...and spend an hour or so carefully painting the inside edges of the design...that way when you look at it, from most angles, you will have the pattern highlighted...

Might want to practice on something first...will take a steady and and the effect may not be what you hoped for...but could be a lot more like the Tiesco's kind of effect.

If you were into a bit of surf kitsch, I'd suggest something like frangipani, always popular and fitting, and a lot bigger to allow a bit more "air" in them...maybe something for a more surf approved painted finish perhaps

finish the guitar, and if it doesn't show up as wanted, get some metalic gold model paint and a very fine brush...and spend an hour or so carefully painting the inside edges of the design...that way when you look at it, from most angles, you will have the pattern highlighted...

Might want to practice on something first...will take a steady and and the effect may not be what you hoped for...but could be a lot more like the Tiesco's kind of effect.

Good idea. I spent 15+ years painting miniatures for tabletop wargaming, so I'm sure I could pull it off.

I actually just sold off nearly all of the 400+ point Eldar army I had. I still have a few units left, just waiting to be re-listed. I still have two others waiting to be sold: Marine & Sisters Of Battle. Then there's all of the BloodBowl teams that aren't going anywhere, as well as all of the individual figures I did just for the fun of it.

Man... combine that with my lifelong comic book obsession and being a tabletop role-player and it's a wonder I got married once, much less twice. :D