I "refinished" A Guitar

I'll post the completed photos soon. I did a refret and I still need to wire it up. This is just to show how I went about it... before the blow torch, that is.

This was on my website for sale for a long time, but I decided to keep it for myself and make some changes.

30724_403352980137_183692040137_4105614_6553434_n.jpg

All debate about burning or not aside, it's kinda retarded not to take the re-usable parts off first... like the bridge. Now it'll be charred & scorched up.

No, it's fine. Nickel has a much higher melting point than you can achieve like that. It won't burn either. If anything, it'll clean it, in a way.

I actually left it on in the hope that it would look burnt, but it still looks brand new. I was also very careful about the whole process. I only burnt what I wanted to. The guitar sounds and plays exactly the same, but it looks much better, IMO.

I've showed some progress photos around and it's about 50/50 love/hate. I fully expect at least half of the people who see it to hate it. One guy even got a little angry :D

I did more than burn it too. It looks like it spent some time in the seventh circle of hell.

Edited by NotYou

take a blow torch to the bridge to try a bit more heat... 'burnt chrome' (usually done with nickel) can look rather fun and shoudlnt hurt a simple bridge like that

some sold by BKP

BNP%20burnt%20chrome%20cover.jpg

013.jpg

l_1c220903d4627d97852bbcbadbe8cbd7.jpg

Burnt%20Chrome.jpg

gibson did copy it too.

oh, and if doing pickups, do the cover and screws seperate to the pickup.... dont go taking a blowtorch to fully constucted nickel pickups

I didn't know you could do that :D

I've been looking for a good way to make nickel look aged or charred for a long time. I still haven't found anything. I have found some chemicals that turn nickel black and brass brown. I think it might look good on open back tuners. I don't know how it'll affect the lubrication, though. If I get ahold of some junk ones, I want to test it out.

4592_1lg.jpg

Edited by NotYou

I didn't know you could do that :D

I've been looking for a good way to make nickel look aged or charred for a long time. I still haven't found anything. I have found some chemicals that turn nickel black and brass brown. I think it might look good on open back tuners. I don't know how it'll affect the lubrication, though. If I get ahold of some junk ones, I want to test it out.

4592_1lg.jpg

my first thought is that your using cold bluing solution for guns? if thats so you will have to completely degrease the metal befor applying. so you would have to put some kind of lub back on the tuners.

• 3 weeks later...
I forgot to post an update. I put everything in the Guitar of the Month thread.

35997_412132715137_183692040137_4329144_5448981_n.jpg

Awesome. Brilliant to get the photos while it was on fire!

I love the fact that you make sure there is art in your work. Good art does polarize sometimes. That is how you know it was effective... some people love it some hate it.

Thanks for being original as I like being entertained while impressed with creativity. Nice work again...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a "video" of the guitar being played by Lance Keltner for DestroyAllGuitars.com (I'm about to be on the site. I haven't really announced it yet. I'm waiting until I'm on the page.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBOhidypC0s

That's just a rough recording. I'll have some good recordings and full fledged videos of him playing it with his band and a review soon. :D

Here's a "video" of the guitar being played by Lance Keltner for DestroyAllGuitars.com (I'm about to be on the site. I haven't really announced it yet. I'm waiting until I'm on the page.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBOhidypC0s

That's just a rough recording. I'll have some good recordings and full fledged videos of him playing it with his band and a review soon. :D

Cool. Nice sound. Keep us posted for anything else like this

With all due respect, I like your building style, but there's WAY too much processing to even get a clue how that guitar actually sounds.

But I understand it's probably coming from a possible sales perspective, so it's all good, just saying that clip doesn't really tell me a thing about the guitar's tone or sound, and I would think anyone who buys DAG guitars would know that too. :D

With all due respect, I like your building style, but there's WAY too much processing to even get a clue how that guitar actually sounds.

But I understand it's probably coming from a possible sales perspective, so it's all good, just saying that clip doesn't really tell me a thing about the guitar's tone or sound, and I would think anyone who buys DAG guitars would know that too. :D

I agree, actually. That's the first thing I noticed when I heard that. It has a very warm and woody sound when played clean or with just a bit of distortion (like tube distortion) and it's really meant for blues. I'm still waiting for the other recordings. I hope he does one with less effects. If, not, I still trust these guys. DAG has been very successful and they claim these videos have a lot to do with that. They obviously know better than me (I couldn't sell a life raft to a person drowning :D)

Edited by NotYou

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the 'blend' control, I was mullling over doing something like that on my build to minimise the number of knobs on the face. Do you have any wiring diagrams for doing something like this, or do you know of anywhere I could find one?

Beautiful build, too

Edited by padbug

:D

Here's the full video review/demo:

Man i hate you B) !!!!! wish I could get that kind of exposure :D

well done man, actually looks better in the vid than your piks (& your photography is phenominaly good)

Hopefully this leads to something big B)

So, im assuming there will be an abused blues 2 ?

I really like the 'blend' control, I was mullling over doing something like that on my build to minimise the number of knobs on the face. Do you have any wiring diagrams for doing something like this, or do you know of anywhere I could find one?

Beautiful build, too

Yeah, there are some good diagrams here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...uctions#details

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...=3&xsr=2007

It's tricky getting the wires in there. It helps to have some very thin pliers or some long tweezers to do it.

:D

Here's the full video review/demo:

Man i hate you B) !!!!! wish I could get that kind of exposure :D

well done man, actually looks better in the vid than your piks (& your photography is phenominaly good)

Hopefully this leads to something big B)

So, im assuming there will be an abused blues 2 ?

It's definitely a lot of exposure. I think I've gotten more attention in the last two days than I have in the last two years.

#2 is one its way. It's different, though. It has the same type of neck, but it's going to have single coils and a double cutaway.

• 1 month later...

my son did a burnt tele once, he came home from school with a real beat up mess of a black tele, promtly took it to bits and set fire to it in the garden. he liked the look so much we cleaned it up a little put it back together and it is now his " experiment" guitar. if there is anything we want to try on a guitar it goes on this one first just to see if it was a good idea. heres a link if ya fancy a peek.