No Truss?

The truss rod isn't there for strength, it's there to allow you to make adjustments to your neck relief as the wood expands and contracts with seasonal temperature and humidity changes.

You can build necks without truss rods, but if they're made of wood, you run the risk of them being unplayable for at least part of the year. :D

what tim said! why avoid one?

why is your neck 1.5" thick? if its some kind of exerimental thing then fine, but for an instrument that plays like a guitar thats far too much

mahogany would probably be my last choice for a truss rod free neck. laminates of maple at a minimum, but ideally i would want stiffer wood than that and some CF reinforcement.... a lot of work to avoid using a truss rod

Where have you played a guitar with no truss rod before. For the last 100 years any decent guitar has some type of truss rod, even if not adjustable. The only ones I can see not using one are the cheapest on the market, and that's not really a guitar to make any comparisons to.

i think taking a large piece out of the neck and replacing it with metal makes the sound more metallic/tinny. keeping the wood imo keeps the tone and sounds more natural

fair enough then.... there is certainly some that believe a single rod sounds better than a double (hmm, or is it just more 'vintage accurate' and therefore infinately better)

i do believe a 1.5" thick neck could potentially have some tonal benefits - but the compromise to playability will be so bad that you will never hear it in more than a single note

like the others i am interested to know where you have played a trussrod less or 1.5" thick neck to think these things would be desirable

good luck with that then - let us know how it turns out

Where have you played a guitar with no truss rod before. For the last 100 years any decent guitar has some type of truss rod, even if not adjustable. The only ones I can see not using one are the cheapest on the market, and that's not really a guitar to make any comparisons to.

Classical / nylon strung guitars don't have a truss rod. Is this what you're building?

Classical / nylon strung guitars don't have a truss rod. Is this what you're building?

its an electric but i started out on nylons and i wanted this to feel similar

well it sounds like you have your heart set on this thing so go ahead hell what do you have to loose a little wood and soem frets and time. that being said i wouldn't sugest it and to my knolege the only electrics that i know of that didnt have a truss rod where cheap imports and the very earliest fenders (i mean the first few broadcasters that where made) Leo quickly figured out that truss rods where needed due to climate changes. you may end up with heavier strings than you want if the neck give any back bow i have a mim fender that i have to run 12's on (a little heavy for my liking) because its a single action truss rod.

A side question; I'm making my first mahogany neck this summer, with an ebony fretboard; non-angled. Will there be any strength issues that I should be aware of?

with a truss rod it will be fine - preferably quatersawn mahogany though, or my preference would be to laminate it.

there may be some natural movement anyway but it can be controlled easily with a tone sucking truss rod

Leo quickly figured out that truss rods where needed due to climate changes.

Leo actually fought to not have a truss rod in the necks. There is even a story were he had a neck placed between two chairs and had a person stand on the neck to prove they were strong enough without a truss rod. In the end it was the marketing people that said "Gibson have a truss rod in every guitar they male and they rub that fact in our face. We cannot sell a guitar without a truss rod!" That's the way I was told the story anyway...

A side question; I'm making my first mahogany neck this summer, with an ebony fretboard; non-angled. Will there be any strength issues that I should be aware of?

with a truss rod it will be fine - preferably quatersawn mahogany though, or my preference would be to laminate it.

there may be some natural movement anyway but it can be controlled easily with a tone sucking truss rod

I think it's flatsawn. If I cut it into three pieces and flip the middle piece; will this resolver my issue? I don't want to add any different species of wood.

A trick some classical builders do, is cram an ebony strip into a channel in the neck, but the channel is actually just a little shorter than the strip. This creates a back-bowing tension on the neck when unstrung and helps keep the neck from being string tension's bitch when strung up.

Probably not a good enough method for steel strings. Plus that .048" low E is not what I would call light.

Plus your high action is going to allow string tension to put more relief into the neck; works more like a bow that way.