Top: Burl Maple Carved

Body: Black limba

Back: Burl Veneer

Neck: Cocobolo

FB: Ebony

Backplate: Ebony

Frontplate: Ebony or nothing

Binding front-back-neck-headstock b/w/b + Cocobolo

Custom Wolf / Moon inlay at 12 fret and DS logo in headstock.

Guitar Logistics pickups PAFs I think

Tone Pros AVT2 Bridge and Classic tuners for this one, not sure yet.

And here's a mockup of both a SC and a DC. I'm unsure still to what one I will make. But I think I'll use the Santana headstock thats in the mockup.

StandardDCRavencolourmockup.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

4145b159.jpg

4b6d84ce.jpg

Sweet burl. Where do you source your limba? I can't seem to find any good pieces for decent prices on the internet, and my local place doesn't carry it.

I get my limba from my local supplier. They have a good selection almost all the time. But this is a 3 piece body blank I glued up from my leftovers from the Tortoise build.

I wouldn't go for more than 3/4" of carve personally. That's already a HUGE carve. I'm talking the carve though, not the thickness of the blank. But still, with 3/4" of carve, if the blank is OVER 1" then you've got over 1/4" top thickness at the edge.

Think of it this way, most archtops use a 1" blank, but they're 16" (ave.) wide. My $.02

Chris

That top wood is awesome. It looks like there's a million faces in it.

+1

Is it a drop top or thick enough to carve?

SR

It's just over an inch thick. Getting a nice carve on it.

Well.

I'm insanely jealous. Do make sure you keep us up to date with this one. You've been rather busy lately.

SR

I wouldn't go for more than 3/4" of carve personally. That's already a HUGE carve. I'm talking the carve though, not the thickness of the blank. But still, with 3/4" of carve, if the blank is OVER 1" then you've got over 1/4" top thickness at the edge.

Think of it this way, most archtops use a 1" blank, but they're 16" (ave.) wide. My $.02

Chris

I have no intention of making the top a 1" carve.

I going to rip off of the bottom of each half and use that for a tele and some headstock veneers.

That top wood is awesome. It looks like there's a million faces in it.

+1

Is it a drop top or thick enough to carve?

SR

It's just over an inch thick. Getting a nice carve on it.

Well.

I'm insanely jealous. Do make sure you keep us up to date with this one. You've been rather busy lately.

SR

I will when I get started. I just started a new job so I'm busy trying to please the new bosses. So I don't have cnc axis anymore. But I do have a full machine shop now. :D

A nice mill and lathe, sand blaster too and much more. It's been hard to get time to get on here.

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet burl. Where do you source your limba? I can't seem to find any good pieces for decent prices on the internet, and my local place doesn't carry it.

http://stores.ebay.com/EXOTIC-WOODS-OF-THE-WORLD?_rdc=1

I get a lot of my exotics through this eBay seller.

Bad Side: virtually no combined shipping, can't see the wood beforehand, REALLY rough-sawn so you have to mill it yourself, no figured stock

Good Side: even with shipping prices are usually below market, really fast shipping time

I've ordered probably 50 boards from him, and only one went bad. That one cupped & twisted after I started milling it, but it came in flat, so it wasn't his fault.

http://stores.ebay.com/EXOTIC-WOODS-OF-THE-WORLD?_rdc=1

I get a lot of my exotics through this eBay seller.

Bad Side: virtually no combined shipping, can't see the wood beforehand, REALLY rough-sawn so you have to mill it yourself, no figured stock

Good Side: even with shipping prices are usually below market, really fast shipping time

I've ordered probably 50 boards from him, and only one went bad. That one cupped & twisted after I started milling it, but it came in flat, so it wasn't his fault.

Yeah that's where I got the Burl from for this project. I've gotten lots off of him too. I usually just straight to his site though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Started at last.

Always the way dave. Never seems to be any time for personal builds. this one could take ages :D

Im doin a green JS just now, was for me, so progress was only OK. but then a customer twisted my arm & suddenly it Was gettin along at a good pace.

Then the Customer picked up something else in the workshop when he dropped by the week after my wedding for a look at the finish & neck profile. An all ash JS experiment with a rosewood board & TV Jones jumbo trons. he fookin loved it, Wouldent give it back.

Cancelled his order on the green one. took the experiment job on the spot. B)

So now the green JS is mine again & I cant get any time to finish it. Typical :D

But still. Yer builds are always cool to see so keep it comin.

Good to see some people like them.. I was thinking of pulling all my posts seeing there was no interest in them. Hell The Tortoise got hosed in GOTM 5 builds and it got 4th.

should have been between me a Jaden only. And his was build with a CNC, wow hard to do.

But Like I said before it's a Popularity contest and I'm not popular because I state the truth.

Peace out to my PG friends I think thats 4 of ya.

Bionic Dave :D

0e97c513.jpg

7c023e25.jpg

Don't be too concerned with GOTM wins or losses. You've got as good a shot at it as anyone else (the sour grapes ain't going to help but maybe nobody will remember them). These guitars you're building are very nice and you've got a good chance at winning, even better depending on the other entries that month. Just keep doing what you're doing.

And as long as we're being proud of our honesty, I'll be honest about my preferences for a GOTM winner. It might give some insight into how other people view entries. First of all, as opposed to seemingly everyone else on PG, I think spalted wood is hideous. I also think there is such a thing as too much wood (cavity covers and the like are overdoing it imo). And the most important thing to me is the finish. An oil finish looks good on most woods but it's relatively easy to do (which is why I use oil mainly). On the other hand, a nice shiny lacquer is very hard to do, so I grade a lot higher for a good job on one of those. The second most important thing is the headstock. Ugly headstocks ruin otherwise wonderful looking guitars.

Once again, only my opinions, and they are meant to help not insult anyone. Like I said, your guitars are beautiful and you'll win one eventually. The tortoise just wasn't your best effort imho. I congratulate you for not only making great instruments but for having the stones to enter one in GOTM. I've never done it because I can't stand all the criticism :D .

I've never done it because I can't stand all the criticism :D .

Oddly enough, the criticism is why I enter. It amazing the things you dont spot when your building the guitar, & will never spot after its done. It takes others to point out the fook ups sometimes. It also good to get opinions on your work, even if only half of it comes from builders who can see what you have done, & the rest from people just making a snap judgement.

Same with the build threads. How many times has somebody saved yer ass by spotting a problem way ahead of you, or you done the same for others. Not that iv ever made a mistake on a build mind you :D

Hey Dave !!m Dig the funky table. Looks like a whole bunch of flyin V's stuck together B)

Wow. The Tortoise wasn't my best effort. What a joke. This is the other problem, tards being aloud to vote. I don't know who you are or what you've build but your clueless.

End of story.

PG will be better off without me. I won't be missed.

And the time I'll save posting pics and updates can be spent wacking off.

Peace out

Bionic Dave

Dave, seems like you're pretty frustrated.

I personally would miss your build threads. Not because I think you make the prettiest guitars on PG, because I don't. For whatever reason, the woodpron guitars never ever flick my switch like colorful, shiny guitars do - blame it on the fact that most desirable production guitars are of the colorful shiny variety.

I vote in GOTM based on taste, which as we know, is an extremely subjective thing. But would I rather win GOTM or be doing steady business building commission guitars for satisfied customers? That's really a no-brainer. If I had validation from people parting with their cash, I wouldn't need it from PGers parting with their vote.

And even though your guitars don't necessarily do it for me, I hope you stick around, because your threads are fine examples of excellent, clean building and innovative thinking.

Also on the subject of GOTM, I think it would be great to recognize people's work at different levels. If you earn your crust making guitars full time, as far as I'm concerned you have no business entering just another one of your builds against a noob or experienced amateur who's poured their heart and soul into their build. IMHO.

Wish granted, 15 day read only vacation. "Tard" is quite an offensive insult, everyone has the right to vote on GOTM. If you don´t like it, you don´t need to be on this playground.

I think that was the point. He was insulted first with a stupied comment and returned the favor.

PG, and GOTM in particular, were never supposed or intended to be about experienced builders winning GOTM over and over again, repeatedly thumping their ego-laden chests anyway.

If you bother to go back and find out the primary goal of PG, it was intended to be a mixture of experienced builders and inexperienced builders, for the experienced guys to HELP OUT inexperienced builders, to offer their wisdom and advice to help the new guy along.

To hold back their gloating and let the new guy 'get some'. :D

To put the knows and the know-nots in the same room together so everyone can move up the chain together.

Not for guys who can build their asses of to repeatedly flaunt it out loud.

So, when the primary goal is perverted by builders who are seeking glory for themselves, then things go amuck and feelings get hurt.

If the experienced guys already KNEW they were 'that good', and simply came here to Help Out, and not be here to Promote Themselves, their products, books, or whatever, if they left their self-centerdness at the front door and just came here to be of service to others who need the help, then there would be no hurt feeling issues.

So if Dave needs to storm off, let him go, I don't see the need to PC it, I've done it myself probably more than once, and others have done it as well, it's been that way for many years around here, some come back, others' don't...

Having said that....to smack down someone simply because they used the word 'tard' is completely and utterly offensive to me, no action needed to be taken, I've called and been called FAR WORSE around here than that with no persecution on either side, so I stand for Dave on this one, I think Mexican Breed needs to reel it in big time if Dave was slapped with a suspension simply because he was a little pissed off and said the word 'tard'.

That does not sound like a Mature response to the situation at all, it sounds a little Dictatorial to me really, and will not contribute to solving the issue, and probably just make things worse.

Moderator actions like that do not make me want to come back to this place, I'll tell you that.

Jesus.... :D