Project: Super-thin

wip46.jpg

wip47.jpg

The flash is washing it out, but it's kinda dark without it. I WOULD take them outside, but it's f'ing SNOWING today! We have 3" so far with more on the way. :D

Anyway....

I'm thinking that the next one might end up a Warlock or some other big-a$$ design that would benefit greatly from the thin body.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has a ton of potential! the design elements work very nicely together. I really like the bevel and scallop on the headstock. I will offer one design suggestion. Consider treating the top end of your headstock to more closely mimic the tips of your horns. In other words, less round over and more point on the tip. My .02.

Nice regroup on this, I hope it goes better.

SR

This has a ton of potential! the design elements work very nicely together. I really like the bevel and scallop on the headstock. I will offer one design suggestion. Consider treating the top end of your headstock to more closely mimic the tips of your horns. In other words, less round over and more point on the tip. My .02.

Nice regroup on this, I hope it goes better.

SR

I agree about tying in the horns and headstock.

Very nice looking headstock design by the way.

That's three..... do we have four?

I've been working on the fretboard this week. After it was radiused and sanded up to 320, I put the usual two coats of linseed oil on it. 2 says after the final coat, it's still oily to the touch. I knew teak was naturally oily, but I didn't think it was up to cocobolo levels. Oh well. A good rubbing with mineral spirits and a couple of coats of shellac will seal it all in. Maybe I can get it polished up, fretted, and glued on before the weekend is over. Prolly not.

That's three..... do we have four?

I've been working on the fretboard this week. After it was radiused and sanded up to 320, I put the usual two coats of linseed oil on it. 2 says after the final coat, it's still oily to the touch. I knew teak was naturally oily, but I didn't think it was up to cocobolo levels. Oh well. A good rubbing with mineral spirits and a couple of coats of shellac will seal it all in. Maybe I can get it polished up, fretted, and glued on before the weekend is over. Prolly not.

I would suggest some adding a drier to the linseed oil before using on oily woods. Pure Boiled Linseed oil can take a long time to dry... make sure it is very dry before putting the varnish on it. I would fear you trap the linseed oil before it finishes drying. With all oils I wait until they stop smelling to cover them.

I use behlen fretboard oil for covering oily fretboards and I go very light on the coats after I have fretted. The behlen fretboard oil is not just oil but more of a mix of stuff. It is usually used on violin fretboards.

I have all of the lacquer on. Now I need to finish carving the neck, glue on the fretboard, and oil the remaining wood. I have time though since I need to leave the lacquer alone for a few weeks to cure. Honestly, I'm not sure if w/b lacquer needs the extra time, but there's no sense in hurrying.

So I go to glue on the f/b last night, but the truss rod channel is way off. I look at it, and it's aligned with the center lam perfectly. Somehow, I cut the whole damn neck wrong.

How

in THE he11

can someone at my point in experience

1) do that and 2) not notice it until now.

I mean seriously... It's not that hard. You line up the template with the center line, mark the edges, and cut it. It's just not complicated enough to fock it up like this. And then not notice that the top of the channel is way off center? Even when you even out the t/r access in the headstock?

I'm NOT willing to let a SECOND quilted top go to waste. I'd rather not let everything else go either. I have an idea, but I'd really like to hear from anyone who might have something productive to suggest as to how to salvage as much of this as possible. The LAST resort is to plane off the base of the body.

Hmmm...

I can see it in the last headstock picture now.

I would be afraid you are going to hit the trussrod channel during carving the neck. +1 JF

Cut the neck off... build new one... make it a set neck. +1 T37

Or else make a SERIOUS D shape on the carve... then when it fails cut the neck off... build new one... make it a set neck.

as a structural fix i would fill and reroute. then there is no reason the finished product wouldn't work just like it should. but it does mean there is a chance of revealing the fill when carving the neck in which case i would spray the whole back and sides a solid colour. you may not want to cover up the laminations - but if it works its worth considering

The reason the TRC is crooked isn't because I did it crooked, it's because I somehow cut the neck crooked. It's no longer aligning right with the pups - which are very stationary.

My initial thought was exactly what Tim and Wez suggested - cut off the neck, rout out the center of the back, and drop in a new neck-through piece.

I had to fix something like this once. What I did though was cut the wings off and edge sand them flush again then glued in a new neck. I had to sit and re adjust clamps for almost a half hour to keep the wings lined up with the new neck stock but it worked ... Just be sure to measure it a few times to make sure it's the right size. I had to cut the neck out twice ...

I don't know how else to say it. The truss rod was cut dead center. I cut the neck itself wrong. When I put the template for the taper onto the neck, I did it crooked. You wouldn't notice it with the f/b lying in place, but the "crooked TRC" made it stand out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, here's what we have now....

wip55.jpg

wip56.jpg

I used double-sided template tape to stick the body to a piece of hardboard. That should give it enough support to not snap in half from the weight of the wings. Then I routed it all out.

The plan now is to make the center lams again, but in reverse. I'll make the two ash lams the same thickness, then plane the cherry center to match the gap.

It's not all a total loss. I originally wanted this to be a Fender style headstock, not a tiltback, so I can do that now.