Who Wants To See Another Corvus?

I have some black hardware I got cheap, as well as some pups, so I'm thinking about another Corvus. I got my hands on 3 pups from a Gibson Marauder, so that's a distinct possibility there. At least it'd be in the same family, even if it's that branch that nobody wants to invite to Thanksgiving.

Y'all know me - the more silly it is, the more it amuses me. Neither the Corvis nor the Marauder were a high-end instrument, so imagine it being blinged out with some nice wood for the top, maybe a carve, multi-layer binding, a decked-out neck....

Or maybe just make it from some basic woods like a mahogany body, ash neck, and rosewood fretboard. Then paint the body green or something simple like that.

Really, there's nothing you can do to make a Corvus look bad.

Right it is like trying to deface a statue of the elephant man.

It's like the VW Beetle of the guitar world.

No John.... No it is not.

Seriously? I thought we were over this... didn't the therapy help?

Build a Marauder. You haven't done that yet... heck build an RD. Just not another Corvus. Ahhh I said it! <cue knights>

When they came up with the V, they made this one too (Moderne)

sure about that - they certainly designed it at the same time but definitive proof of a 58 moderne is hard to come by - and gibbons aint sharing!

i still want to do the elegant bowable fretless bass i designed last time we went all corvus mad - it will happen!

idea.jpg

sure about that - they certainly designed it at the same time but definitive proof of a 58 moderne is hard to come by - and gibbons aint sharing!

I thought I read somewhere that Gibson made a few back when the V and Explorer were introduced but discontinued them because they weren't selling at all or something. The book I read that from also said any original moderne before Gibson re-introduced them is considered the "holy grail" to guitar collectors :D

I thought I read somewhere that Gibson made a few back when the V and Explorer were introduced but discontinued them because they weren't selling at all or something. The book I read that from also said any original moderne before Gibson re-introduced them is considered the "holy grail" to guitar collectors :D

That book might be "Gibson Guitars: 100 Years of an American Icon" by Walter Carter. That's where I read about them too. Someone at Gibson evidently designed all three at the same time but the Moderne didn't make the cut. The V, Explorer, and Moderne were designated "The Modernistic Korina Trio" at inception. But as the book says, the Moderne "disappeared without a trace" while the other two actually became more popular than they imagined. But it does say that the Modernes "vanished, every single one of them". That sounds like some were made, though not large quantities. Strange that no one can track even one down now though.

But Gibson has made some Moderne reissues

gibson_moderne_accueil_1982_reissue_big.jpg

Edited by IPA or death

That book might be "Gibson Guitars: 100 Years of an American Icon" by Walter Carter. That's where I read about them too. Someone at Gibson evidently designed all three at the same time but the Moderne didn't make the cut. The V, Explorer, and Moderne were designated "The Modernistic Korina Trio" at inception. But as the book says, the Moderne "disappeared without a trace" while the other two actually became more popular than they imagined. But it does say that the Modernes "vanished, every single one of them". That sounds like some were made, though not large quantities. Strange that no one can track even one down now though.

But Gibson has made some Moderne reissues

gibson_moderne_accueil_1982_reissue_big.jpg

No it is just a book on all kinds of vintage guitars from acoustics to electrics. I did read online though in the gibson forum that there were some prototypes originally made by Gibson but they were either destroyed or burned, both of which seem kind of extreme so I don't know how much I agree with that but yeah they did re-issue it eventually (not sure on the year)

EDIT: haha I just noticed after I clicked submit the picture you posted has the year on it :D

Edited by Juntunen Guitars

thats why i asked if you were sure - because i certainly am not. Billy Gibbons claims to have one of the original 58 modernes but isnt really sharing - and after that everything becomes a bit hazy. even the 80's re-isses are a bit rare with only a hundred or so being built (iirc)

its a shame the corvus cant get the same amont of love :D

i still want to do the elegant bowable fretless bass i designed last time we went all corvus mad - it will happen!

idea.jpg

Thats cool. It looks like the Gene Simmons axe-bass raped a Corvus and had a bastard lovechild.......