Lespaul - Osorio

Osorio

• 3 weeks later...

full width tenon's make a lot of sense.

looking at the pics you certainly cant say it will be lacking enough glueing surface! Its easier to fit, it will also allow the possibility for more heel shaping if osorio chooses to go that way. I also prefer the tone a little bit

full width tenon's make a lot of sense.

looking at the pics you certainly cant say it will be lacking enough glueing surface! Its easier to fit, it will also allow the possibility for more heel shaping if osorio chooses to go that way. I also prefer the tone a little bit

But you lose the side support wood and the neck joint will show from the side. If you're not painting the guitar, I find that a full width tenon isn't as pretty, but it is a little easier if you have to angle the neck.

you still have more than enough side support - especially with a long full width tenon. compare it to the average prs style guitar - its loads more

this is a lp style built by feline guitars:

lpneckjoin.jpg

i like the way he does his neck joins - the full width tenon allows this extra shaping

you still have more than enough side support - especially with a long full width tenon. compare it to the average prs style guitar - its loads more

this is a lp style built by feline guitars:

lpneckjoin.jpg

i like the way he does his neck joins - the full width tenon allows this extra shaping

That's how I did mine. There was a guy on here a few years ago that did it this way and I really liked it. Here is the build thread My link

This is something Gibson needs to look into, as I'm sure nobody likes that bulky neck heel they sport.

Nice work Osorio, looking forward to the progress.

Hello guys

I usually do the tenon in this way, more PRS than Gibson for a few reasons.

First it has a greater gluing surface area, which in my opinion makes a stronger joint, and I believe that it increases the propagation of sound by improving the sustain of the instrument. Myth? I don´t know but it works fine and sounds great at the end!

Second it is easier to build, and that way I can do a confort line on neck heel , see the topic of Lespaul Paul Gold Top that I build some time ago.

About the few clamps to attach the board, think that its enough, I will clamping until de glue squezes when it stops I stop too, till today all fretboards are in the rigth place! kekeek

Seeya!

Looks like you are doing a fine job... Still waiting for you to do some thing of your own and not a look a like... Teles and Les Pauls and Strats get kinda boring.

Your build quality is clean enough for you to do your own thing. (I say this to encourage you to start thinking as a designer+bulider rather than a copy+builder. You have the skills now take it somewhere new.)

Thanks 3Dog for your words!

I Don´t think that making copies it´s kinda boring, I love wood working for me it´s far to be boring. I think in do someting new and mine some day, but for now, build copies it´s a way to learn more and more, till I find the exctlay design and building method to do my own model of instruments.

It´s difficult do find a design when you like many and diferent things, the new, the old, traditional and the untraditional. Gather all this things in one original concept it´s a very very hard way.

When I start think and draw, most of times I finish by deleting all corel draw files that I created. It seems that all the great shapes of bodies and headstocks had been created. Sure I don´t have thinking enough to had a big inspiration, may it come some day, or not!

Anyway thanks!

You need to find a better router bit, or a better tape brand, cause you've got a pretty decent amount of gap-age in your binding.

Also, keeping the binding that far above the body height when gluing it up probably doesn't help either.

Chris

Yeah that binding ledge is nasty lookin... I was doing binding all weekend with the basic Stew Mac bit and got perfect results... I've no idea what you used to make that binding ledge... but whatever it is destroy it...

Were you using a hand held router? Those carved tops need some jiggery to keep the bit vertical at all times...

luckily the guitars like the Les Paul have flat backs so it's pretty easy ...

Check this link for a VERY simple jig to make your binding channels turn out very nice on carved top (Flat back instruments like a Les Paul.

http://theaccidentalluthier.blogspot.com/2009/03/binding-part-2.html'>http://theaccidentalluthier.blogspot.com/2009/03/binding-part-2.html

http://theaccidentalluthier.blogspot.com/

Edited by 3DogNate