67 Flying V "modified Copy"

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ou know burning your name into something sounds a little "Zachary" sh#t crazy to me.

I really don't pay any attention to that dude..I think I have seen his stuff all of twice when it was posted here...but actually this brand is for the back of the headstock...like the "Made in the USA" on Gibsons...the "branding iron" is a stamp made of metal,not actually a typical branding iron,though it can be used like it.

But eventually I do want to make a custom branding iron of a goat head logo to burn in the outline of the goat head and then fill in the eyes and stuff

ou know burning your name into something sounds a little "Zachary" sh#t crazy to me.

I really don't pay any attention to that dude..I think I have seen his stuff all of twice when it was posted here...but actually this brand is for the back of the headstock...like the "Made in the USA" on Gibsons...the "branding iron" is a stamp made of metal,not actually a typical branding iron,though it can be used like it.

But eventually I do want to make a custom branding iron of a goat head logo to burn in the outline of the goat head and then fill in the eyes and stuff

J/K Wes. Respect is well earned my friend and I have seen enough of your work to trust your taste in instruments enough to know you won't do anything "cheesy --> goldfish like". I think the branding iron would be easier than the water decals I have been using.

I was just giving you a hard time. Z is batshite crazy and an egomaniac to boot.

I LIKE the idea of the goat head logo... \m/

To be fair though,i don't see how the putziness of someone else who branded wood has anything to do with my guitars.Zachary ain't the first dude to use a branding iron on wood...considering that I found it on a wood burning site,I would say it is probably as common as marquetry or inlay..

Hitler liked the VW beetle..so do I..I don't think that makes me as crazy as Hitler :D

..."cheesy --> goldfish like".

Looking like a giant goldfish cracker was a complete accident.

Not that I'm above cheesy and tacky. I like it and feel that I do it quite well when the situation calls for it.

Glad you caught that I thought my genius might have been wasted.

Looking like a giant goldfish cracker was a complete accident.

Well to be fair,you did paint it orangey-yellow,which is the universal color of the goldfish cracker...Only thing you didn't do was inlay "pepperidge farms" across the fretboard. :D

Glad you caught that I thought my genius might have been wasted.

Don't worry...I went "ha!" when I read it...that meant it was moderately funny without being worthy of a Ron White show

Are you going to be 100% happy with that guitar and proud of it when it is finished Wes? If the answer is yes, keep going, if not, why settle for something less than what is going to inspire you? I would plane off the top and put a new one on with a sharp glue line, because apart from that the guitar is looking awesome.

I would plane off the top and put a new one on with a sharp glue line

No you wouldn't..I dare say planing off a top I have been sitting on for years because of a stupid line in the join that I myself caused by trying to go from good to invisible would just be an idiot move on my own guitar.Even stupider than the original mistake.If I was going to do "anything" it would be a rout out and cover up of some sort of inlay,but I would never,ever in a million years plane off and destroy this top :D

Now everybody just forget about the glue line.It's settled and it stays as is.I only bring it up so that others may perhaps not attempt the same "fix" on their own.It's called admitting to a mistake to help others.I could have just never taken pics of it that showed the mistake :D

It is important to me that my builds are honest..that way if I ever say "this guitar is perfect",you will know it to be true.

But thanks though...It no longer bothers me at all.

Yeah,I can't believe I never thought of it before now... :D

I just had a really great idea on how I could remedy the glue line situation...A Halloween orange moon rising over the water into a dark sky,done all with tints and a big orange spherical moon with a jack o lantern mouth... :D

I would not do such a thing,but that would surely do the trick!

Not too happy with this coat.I tried to get it on before the weather change,but I am going to have to level past about 1/2 of it to get rid of some pinholes.Eh,live and learn.I am good on the neck though,so I can mask that off before the body shooting..probably Sunday.I'll miss the Halloween deadline for completion by a week looks like.

l.jpg

l.jpg

I think I am going to try a different finish on one of my next ones...this one is good,but it does not want to flow out very easily unless the temp is just right..and it rarely is.

Now that the thread is 7 pages long I am too lazy to dig for this answer...

What type of finish is it?

I think I am going to try a different finish on one of my next ones...this one is good,but it does not want to flow out very easily unless the temp is just right..and it rarely is.

Now that the thread is 7 pages long I am too lazy to dig for this answer...

What type of finish is it?

:D :D B)

I was thinking the same thing and waiting for someone else to ask.

SR