Project S907_express

Man, this is very elegant. The grain in the top and fretboard complement each other nicely. And I may be in the minority, but I like the looks of a single color neck best, it just flows better for me. The volute and neck join also complement each other nicely......love the smooth neck join. And I don't know if it is just the grain in the ash that makes it show up differently, but something about the carve looks subtly diferent to me. It probably is just me, but this seems to flow especially smoothly.

Nice.

For some reason your black ebony beast just pooped into my head. What's going on with it?

SR

what is the purpose of the reccess at the end of the cutaway?... will you insert harder wood there?

Not quite sure which part you are talking about but if it is the recess on the back on the lower horn it is just aesthetic and doesn't really serve a purpose... the cut away on the S9 is parallel to the 24th fret so there really is no need for it.

I got crazy with my dragon rasps....

Man, this is very elegant. The grain in the top and fretboard complement each other nicely. And I may be in the minority, but I like the looks of a single color neck best, it just flows better for me. The volute and neck join also complement each other nicely......love the smooth neck join. And I don't know if it is just the grain in the ash that makes it show up differently, but something about the carve looks subtly different to me. It probably is just me, but this seems to flow especially smoothly.

Nice.

For some reason your black ebony beast just pooped into my head. What's going on with it?

SR

Glad you like it. These cheap models are turning out to not be so cheap looking :D I will have pics of the black one this weekend.

As for the fretboard wood combo. You know me I like to have a focal point in my guitars when I can and for these I thought keep it simple and put killer fretboards on them.

The neck joints are still a work in progress. I think this summer I will get a standard together instead of just free forming it. On the customs I do them based on customers hand size... <snicker> I make the heel smaller for smaller hands... </snicker>

The carve is different. I can't spend 2 days carving an express model so I went with something a little more subtle. After looking at it I really like it and my friend and I are going to use it as the basis for the CNC carved top. The really strong Diablo carve really only works in hard tight grain woods where I can use a scraper against it. For the softer and more porous woods a softer carve is needed.

Since Ash is absolutely the worst wood to carve in the entire world because of the hard and soft spots and big open pores you can't use a scraper against it. Honestly you have to always use a hard sanding block (or disk) to keep the surface flat. Scrapers tend to cut more of the soft grain and give a very uneven surface. Sometimes desired effect but for these guitars not at all desired.

Black Ebony Beast is joining the finishing crowd this weekend. I have 5 guitars headed to finishing this weekend. I have been waiting on all the first batch to go to finishing together. Once I clean all the dust out of the shop I really can't make more until all the finishing is done so I group them together. RoboRAD will keep working and I will glue some things up but carving and making dust will be right out.

Hey, new guy here. Only been lurking for about a month but am enjoying your builds immensely. I am curious as to which type of strap buttons you use when you recess them like that. I have scoured Allparts, StewMac, and many other sites but have not found anything that looks suitable.

Hey, new guy here. Only been lurking for about a month but am enjoying your builds immensely. I am curious as to which type of strap buttons you use when you recess them like that. I have scoured Allparts, StewMac, and many other sites but have not found anything that looks suitable.

http://www.allparts.com/Black-Strap-Locks-p/ap-6583-003.htm

Probably Dunlops given the size of those! :D

+! And you win a prize!!!!

Well I'll be. I didn't know there were flush mount strap buttons for those, and I just bought a bunch of the regular ones from StewMac to install as flush mount. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Looking good RAD, you're really cranking these out this year.