Project S907_express

Don't get too excited... this is supposed to be a run of the mill cheap model.

Wait till you see the single humbucker version that is up next. Scary piece of ash.

Ash is hard to work with. It has a mind of its own...but never turn down a good piece of oiled ash. :D

So an update on the black one.

The oil finish looks great over the black dye. However every time I set it against something hard it leaves a shiny spot. Other than the obvious "don't do that" suggestions I think I am going to have to shoot this one with a flat spar urethane to get the finish to hold up.

I really can't risk waxing it... I have a good orange paste wax but the risk of filling the pores with wax is too high this close to being done. I think a varnish as the last coats should be good.

Now the real trick will be the application. I am torn between spraying it (which I swore off spraying this season) and doing a wipe on finish.

Anyway I will let you know what I do.

If you wipe it on, be VERY cognizant of the solvents. The last thing you'd want is to somehow go through the oil and smear the black.

good point. Not to worry the black is transtint so it will not smear. But I will be very careful near the Padauk to not pull any black onto it.

I tried your nail through the fret slot idea when I glued down a board the other day - worked a treat.

Another trick added to my bag.

Glad to help. Forgot where I picked that up... Sadowsky maybe?

I use 1/16" stainless steel pins from McMaster Carr and I put 2 in the nut slot and one at the base of the neck beyond the end of the fretboard.

I tried your nail through the fret slot idea when I glued down a board the other day - worked a treat.

Another trick added to my bag.

Glad to help. Forgot where I picked that up... Sadowsky maybe?

I use 1/16" stainless steel pins from McMaster Carr and I put 2 in the nut slot and one at the base of the neck beyond the end of the fretboard.

I kind of put my own spin on it but it's essencially the same concept. Will have to post pics in a build thread some time

That finish is hot! Very subtle, very cool.

Tx... it looks great from about 10 feet away. It is ok when it gets close...

However "Lawless" is the first CNC guitar and is going to be handed around a lot so I needed a film finish on it. After the dye and the oil I hit it with a coat of Spar Varnish... keep the grime of grubby guitarists off it. It is replacing the RedWitch as my "Try this guitar" I loan to people and let them play at shows.

Control plate #1. With name and model engraved.

That's a nice bonus.

SR

I thought so. Came out pretty good... adds a touch of "production" to my stuff.

Oh one other thing... I fixed a tearout on "Lawless" with CA. One of the corners of the humbucker route got busted. So after filling with CA I took my fret cleaning exacto and scraped some grain marks into the fix. Worked perfect... hard to tell it was ever fixed now (before it was a shiny spot).

Control plate #1. With name and model engraved.

That's it. We're not friends anymore. :D

Come on now Jon... it was inevitable. The CNC machine and I are just friends. We work together that is all. Really. Its not you its me.

Don't worry I am not going to start inlaying fretboards or anything. The only other thing I am contemplating is using this technique on my headplates instead of decals. I like the decals but this might look better and fit the S9 theme of minimalism and stealth.