Project S9 Continued...

Anodyne dye in West systems?

SR

anodyne (ˈænəˌdaɪn) n 1. a drug that relieves pain; analgesic 2. anything that alleviates mental distress adj 3. capable of relieving pain or distress

I would say that given my experience of West System epoxy, that was an ironically appropriate slip-up. :D

Anodyne dye in West systems?

SR

anodyne (ˈænəˌdaɪn) n 1. a drug that relieves pain; analgesic 2. anything that alleviates mental distress adj 3. capable of relieving pain or distress

I would say that given my experience of West System epoxy, that was an ironically appropriate slip-up. :D

I was afraid I had that wrong, but was too lazy to look any further than spell check. I tend toward irony though, so it was probably my sub-conscience telling me to let it go at that....it will be fine.....

SR

......he did say wolf's blood, surely some sort of anodyne would be useful after collecting that.....

Headplates suck. I like them to match the tops or fretboards. That means using wood from the top. Sometimes tops do not have enough wood in them to make a one piece headplate from. Sometimes fretboards are not big enough to make one piece headplates from.

Conklin started doing these melted tops years (ages) ago. I liked them. I have been doing melted headstock plates for years as a way to use the top scraps and keep the consistency of the build.

Basically it is my take on a melted headplate. With a nice twist.

I agree that if a headplate is going to be used it ought to match some part of the build, preferably a visible part which pretty much means the top or fretboard. I also often think the neck wood is interesting enough looking in many cases to not need a headplate at all. I'm a little surprised at how rarely that option is chosen.

SR

I wouldn't try to pop it with any stain . Clear on its own will do a good enough job of that

Never fear I am always cautious when it comes to color. However in this case I never said where I was putting the dye. Sticking a little bit of amber transtint in your clear on a plain maple top can really make it pop.

For the record stain and dye are different. I never use stain. I also don't usually dye black and sand back. Normally if I am using a color I use a strong version of it then sand back to help with flame. I only do this when I use a colored clear coat. In this case we are going to go as natural as we can.

I might pull the mason jar vintage nitro trick for this one instead of any tint.