Yea good point Scotty. Knob will cover it all up so no worries there realy.

Had this thing together today to check everything was still groovy after the finish went on, (12 coats is kinda thick) & I gotta hand it to that there strandberg geezer. it sits real nice in a seated playing position, he's definitly on to a winner with these things. But personaly, I would find it hard to get used to while standing up, its just so small & light it feels absolutly freaky :blink: .

I mean FREAKY DEAKY BABY,

I can just about handle my Alpha or Black lotus models, they are small guitars that melt into the player's body. But this thing is on another level all together, its almost like playing air guitar a little. If small light gitirz are your thing you simply have to get one of these things.

Non-existant guitar in a standing position.

real nice ultra comfortable thing for a seated position.

But, it still didnt hinder my playing (or what I laughingly refer to as playing these days). despite being a mad thing in a standing position it was still very natural feeling in the hand. Considering I prefer heavier guitars like a Les Paul (8 lbs min) thats prety good.

Ultimate little "sit on the couch & do scale & chord exercises all day long" gitir.

cool. just need to polish & assemble it properly now.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more time to muck about with this this morning. Started the polish/buff phase (my least favourit after wiring :rolleyes: )

Its not finished but you get the idea.

Top, fine polished - swirl & buff to go.

P1050858_zps7a0fac16.jpg

P1050856_zps9d74095e.jpg

Back. Same as front, just initial fine polish with swirl & buff to go.

P1050864_zps278460e9.jpg

P1050863_zpse598f4dc.jpg

The sides havent realy been touched yet, I might get to that later today. But for now its coming along OK I rekon.

I know what you mean about hating the ergo guitar thing. I used to think it was all just for show "oooooo look at me Iv got a weird shaped guitar"

Until it was pointed out to me that my preferance for a flat playing surface on the back of my necks, as it provides a more stable platform for playing - was an ergonomic modification. It may not be as radical as a full trapazoid like Rick Toone, but even a flat back with rounded sides is kinda ergo.

Then it was pointed out that seeing as I design my bodies to move the neck & hardware into a position where you have less of a stretch with the fret hand to reach the nut, sit comfortably against the body & be stable on your leg when sitting - iv been dabbeling in the ergo thing for ages & hadent even realised it.

So I figured screw it I will see what the result of the entire ergonomicafication (if thats even a word) of a guitar would be. Hence this boden-ish build. To be honest, i was impressed with the result as a dry build. Now that it is almost finished Im interested to see how it performs as a completed instrument.

well no. I could recess the panels but im kinda sick of recessd panel at the moment. I prefer covers that are proud - for now anyway.

Either way, the stacked colume pot on this one is almost as deep as the guitar body, so recessing a 4mm thick panel would have it right up against the cover. I dont like doing that, its a squeeze as it is in there without mashing things any further.

The tailpiece is an ABM. found on thomann. head piece was from thomann's online store aswell.

Having made this I rekon I could make a better "headless - tune at the ass end" setup myself. not a lot to it.

Nice work, Paulie. Let us know what you think of the trapezoidal neck profile.

Is the truss-rod access on your neck just in front of the brass headpiece?

I built a Strandberg-tribute last year (with Ola's permission). I used a Steinberg-clone bridge and headpiece from J Custom in Korea. They seem to be made well and work fine, although pricey. I used a Stew-Mac Hot Rod truss rod, and had to flip it upside down to align with the access hole in the headpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

3 days ago a customer decided on 2x humbuckers, 1x vol, 1x tone & a 3 way toggle, with 22 frets on a 25.5 inch scale. nice.

Today, (about 4.30 in the evening) He rang to say he had a change of heart. he wants 3 singles, 1x vol, 2x tone, a 5 way blade selector & 2 micro switches. with 24 frets on a 25 inch scale.

Below is his body as it sat yesterday evening. Lets see if anyone can spot the problem :rolleyes:

P1050868_zpsf7d8c210.jpg

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to how far along the neck is ?

• Like 1

Who can change their mind so drastically in a few days. I think your customer doesn't really know what he wants. Either that or he wants a guitar that sounds like every single guitar on the planet incorporated into one! Maybe some coil splitting humbuckers would do the trick?

Reality check,guys...PaulieMC is a business man in a customer oriented business :P

Most likely the solution is to shelf the existing body and neck,make sure the new specs are carved in stone with the customer,and start a new guitar.Then finish the existing guitar and add it to the lineup of already built guitars waiting for adoption...Who knows,after it's finished this customer may want it as well.

I still think it's a strange change though

I've had customers change their mind quite late into the process. I have a signed order sheet stating all the specs so for me it's actually quite easy to charge extra for extra work/parts. But the worst customer did change is mind about a series of things. And just a few months after I delivered the guitar I found it up for sale on the lokal E-bay. My guess is that those guys are totally sold on the concept of "custom made" guitars through the internet and interviews with guitarists and things like that, but they are totally in the dark about why someone actually orders a custom made instrument. That, and too much cash on their hands...

Reading this and hearing of other problems that custom guitar makers have makes me think some kind of a short primer would be handy to give to potential customers. I am thinking somthing that reviews the options that they can take home to think about rather than the kid in the candy shop approach that some customers seam to be taking.

When you start a build with me you get a full set of plans that i go over with you a few times to ensure you are happy. So small changes occur a lot. But big game changing total rebuilds are rare. Especialy as changes like this incure a cost of %75 of the commission value of that guitar.

1000 commission on a alpha means 750 euro fee for this body change this late. But scrapping the neck pushes it to double that.

Obviously i only charge the one fee of 750 in these cases. But this is a problem build as it is the second guitar he has done it on. He is a friend of the family going on 30 years. And i just took the hit on the last one. But this build needs replacement

body

neck

bridge

pickups

pots

switch

taking the mick i rekon. So despite the fact that its gona mean the loss of a comission. The loss of a friend. Tiking off my dad (its his friend more so than mine) & having a guitar just sitting here untill it goes to a store. He received an invoice of 1500 euro on top of the 1100 for the original guitar.

The next few days are gona suck