Beater Strat Scrap Build

If the construction is kept simple enough, you can do a body in 2 days: 1 for the glue-up and 1 for the shaping/routing. The SG is going to take a little more effort for the bevels, but 3 days is still do-able when the work schedule is taken into consideration. But you cheated with a neck you bought. I'm making mine.

I'm gonna try something different with this one. 1) I'm gonna use ash for the fretboard, and 2) I'm gonna do a full scrollsaw inlay technique on the markers. I know it seems like I'm going away from the "quick scrap beater" concept, but I'm really not. I'll be using walnut cutoffs to make the block inlays from, and the whole process shouldn't take me more than 1/2 hour or so. Since I'm not putting much time into it, I think it will still qualify for the concept.

If the construction is kept simple enough, you can do a body in 2 days: 1 for the glue-up and 1 for the shaping/routing. The SG is going to take a little more effort for the bevels, but 3 days is still do-able when the work schedule is taken into consideration. But you cheated with a neck you bought. I'm making mine.

I'm gonna try something different with this one. 1) I'm gonna use ash for the fretboard, and 2) I'm gonna do a full scrollsaw inlay technique on the markers. I know it seems like I'm going away from the "quick scrap beater" concept, but I'm really not. I'll be using walnut cutoffs to make the block inlays from, and the whole process shouldn't take me more than 1/2 hour or so. Since I'm not putting much time into it, I think it will still qualify for the concept.

Sounds good. I have to redo the headstock some, my tuners came in and the screw holes are F'd up on the headstock (they don't line up) so I'll do an inlay on the back side so there is wood to screw too. :) Then I may take it over to a friends and run it on his laser for the RatFink. :)

body roughed out - ready to rout to the template

scarf evened out - ready to rout for the truss rod

I'm considering using a reclaimed single-action rod.

I can't do an ash f/b. The cutoff is center-joined and I don't want the glue joint directly under the truss rod. It's probably fine, but an ounce of caution goes a long way. The choices are now canary, red oak, or zebra. Or I could go into the fretboard pile and use lightly figured maple.

So the headstock looked like someone had tried multiple styles of tuners atsome time. lots of mounting holes. So I made a quick inlay for front and back to give me new wood to use. I know they look like crap but this is a RAT Strat. :) I bet everyone thinks I'm going to sand this baby to get out all of the machine marks? NOT!!! just run over it with some 150grit and clear coat it with one maybe 2 coats of poly LOL!! Yep that should work well enough for GOTM. LMAO!!!

hd1.jpg

hd2.jpg

I think that looks pretty cool, actually. I like the pearl idea too; it will help fill in the machine marks. :P

SR

I have some chamelon pearl flakes as well, goes from green to purple, it looks cool as $**t. over black :)

Maybe gold pearl over the HOG, it seems to have some gold shimmer to it anyway?

So what,now this is John's thread? <_<

Mike,you've been hijacked...

Yep I see that! LOL! I think he has decided this is a race.

Yep. It's now a 2-man build thread. =o)

My wife and others are bitchin ateabut not going to put a proper finish on this. So I may have to seal it and paint it. :(

You can't do that to me! No paint, no proper finish. If you absolutely HAVE to do something besides oil, just put on one sealer coat of poly or lacquer, but nothing else.

So what,now this is John's thread? <_<

Mike,you've been hijacked...

Yep I see that! LOL! I think he has decided this is a race.

Yep. It's now a 2-man build thread. =o)

My wife and others are bitchin ateabut not going to put a proper finish on this. So I may have to seal it and paint it. :(

You can't do that to me! No paint, no proper finish. If you absolutely HAVE to do something besides oil, just put on one sealer coat of poly or lacquer, but nothing else.

well now i've heard everthing. I'm being told how to build my guitars, not only by my family and friends but John as well. Damn and I thought this was America???????? and this was my thread????? ***!!! I'm being Oh bomb ad. :)

This is not your thread.

There is no free will.

We've taken care of everything: the words you hear, the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes.

It's one for all and all for one.

We work together, common sons, never need to wonder how or why.

:blink:

=o)

body routed to the template

truss rod channel routed

fretboard thicknessed and slotted

pickguard thicknessed and widened

inlay thicknessed

I decided on canary for the fretboard. I had a piece of scrap canary almost wide enough to be a pickguard, so I planed it down to 3/16" and glued on a small wing to one side. There are a pair of cool looking knots between the pup areas. Tonight I'll be doing the fret markers, gluing the f/b on, shaping the pickguard, and doing some body work. Stupid job is keeping me from doing what's important.........

Awesome... great minds and not so great minds think alike. I have a beater build going on as well can I post join in?

HA ha ha... j/k I will spare all you guys the beater thread.

I am digging the Rat idea... can't wait to see the RF laser cut into the headstock (or somewhere).

Its great to see you working on a guitar again mike. I have no idea how you kept 17 pieces perfectly flat while gluing them!

I didn't, planed them then glued up the wings, . then glued them to the center piece. :) Then I ran it throughthe drum sander after the machining. The wings were off from center piece by about 1/32nd

1/32" is still pretty even. Funny how 3 or 4 pieces on a cheap production guitar is trash, but you get 10+ and it becomes cool, haha.

years of experience at cabinet work does help. :) Oh and BTW good to see you popping in now and then as well. You doing okay?Oh and the neck won't fit in my friends laser his is a 12x24. So maybe I'll add an inlay with it lasered later.

I have no doubt that experience helps Mike.

I am doing pretty well, thanks for asking. Hope you are too. I cant ever make up my mind about my guitar career. I think i was going about it wrong. I have new motivation and inspiration now though, and just bought 24 bd ft of mahogany.

Cant wait to see more progress of this!

Damn, I went to string it up. I knew when I routed the neck pocket that it didn't look right. Now I have to lower it about 0.100" SUMBEAACH! I hate it when I don't follow my gut. :)

F, it, I think I'll just make a plate to raise the bridge. Hell of a lot easier :)

So I figured out where I screwed the pooch. I transposed the cut depth in my GCode. I told it to cut 0.569" not 0.659" . I knew it didn't look right, I'm such a DA!! LOL!!