Trees Into Blanks

This was interesting.It is a "small" branch from the American Elm that is dying slowly in my yard.The wood is extremely dense and tough to get a chainsaw through.But it seems to be very promising for guitar bodies.It looks nice IMO

I am glad it looks like it will work,because I have a huge tree that needs to come down.This piece is 4 1/4" thick and once a straight edge is put on one side it will barely be large enough for a two piece body...most likely it will become wings for a neck through.

15821_501145696592756_695166117_n.jpg

I am going to need a larger chainsaw for the trunk.

Nice collection so far. I'm jealous- I wanted to do a body from a stump via chainsaw, but it won't be anytime soon. If you notice any pitfalls involved, give a yell. I just got 4+ acres and some of it has nice standing timber on it. I'll get to it one day, but definitely no time soon.

Good luck with it.

So I got most of the small stuff cleared out of the way.It is going to take some time to get the big stuff squared away into lumber..

A pic of the trunk with my hand for scale.The rotted core I will have to work around because it is too soft in most spots to use as a feature of the wood

423203_505000892873903_678148191_n.jpg

Then I realized nobody knows the size of my hand...so I am using a medium foam brush for scale

389578_505000962873896_1036156683_n.jpg

734172_505001002873892_586322897_n.jpg

268497_505001036207222_723372972_n.jpg

Another thought for the hollow logs - you could cut them up and use/sell them as decorative pots, for plants?

I really like that idea...A plant in a plant...cool...

Some of the smaller limbs(about 6" wide) I think I will be cutting up and selling as carving logs.I saw some for sale on Ebay and I think it's a cool idea...better than burning it

The hollow stuff I would definitely like to find a use for..decorative pots sounds awesome

This one was spalted Elm :

IMG_1364.jpg

It's similar to maple in hardness, and workability from what I've seen with it. I have 3 other tops from the same set, all 1" thick. I like it but you don't hear of it being used often for some reason. I have a giant white birch that I found on the property. It's hurt anyway, so I might test it out.

How long do you think it'll take those boards to air-dry ? I may make a wood-powered drying rack/room and use the scrap woods around here for fuel.