Questions About Building A Guitar, Adhesives And More

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i took the other planks i had left of maple to be cut. They have a straighter grain that this (these) pieces, but they are not entirely quartesawn.

They shift from quartersawn to riftsawn.

Any advice regarding this? do that make those pieces more prone to twisting?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It mostly depends on how much the wood will want to move and where wood is removed during shaping. Radial shrinkage can be an issue and in guitar necks most people "mirror" the grain directions either side of the centre. This normally works very well. If this is not possible then you need to plan out any potential problems. Clean up the end grain, post some photos and certainly people will give their gut instincts on what they would do. Generally keeping your quartersawn central and balancing the outer laminates as equally as you can will win the race 9/10.

Ok...so i had the pieces cut in 3...i put them up opossing grain direction and all....but i forgot to glue them up clamped to a larger, straight piece of wood....

2 hours later, i go to check it out...it's bended towards one side...I blame the water in titebond, so inmediatly i clamped it to the large piece of sapelli...

Hope it straights back up---i don't like this :( I miss using epoxy damnit

Either a caul or more clamps. Worst comes to the worst, get the guys at the woodshop to resaw this back out, joint it back up and reglue it. No sense in trying to make a build off laminations which you cannot guarantee are sound. It could potentially ruin a project which is otherwise good.

it has 16 clamps...i almost run out of space when positioning them.

The neck is clamped to a big chunk of sapelli, which acts as a caul. The glue wasn't dry yet, so i hope it's still good

If not, of course i will resaw it and joint it back and reglue, but probably with epoxi.

Damn i need my own wood shop...

Edited by eddiewarlock

ok, just came back from the wood shop. The guys over there let me use their clamps and the pieces are clamped now to the steel bench of the jointer they have.

The piece was not that bad after it was unclamped, i just redid it because i wasn't satisfied with the joints that's all.

Thanks a lot to Carl and Allan for answering :)

Edited by eddiewarlock

Yeah, it's a funny one alright. I've made a fair number of Maple necks and never had movement out of it. The points I stick to are ensuring that its moisture content is realistic and that the grain is straight. I've had thin board warp up on me out of nowhere or even after spritzing one side but neck laminations? Never had it. Even with the Birch I've been fooling with lately (Birch is rarely as straight as Maple and growth rings are tighter due to comparitively smaller size) has been quite well-behaved.

Maybe it's the secret midnight enclaves at full moon that ensures the straightness of my timber. Reminds me, need to dry-clean my cloak and re-oil my staff. Fnar.

Moisture content is the key here...

i expect some movement of individual, thin pieces, in my experience, almost all of them move, they move following the grain and that is expected and i am ok with it.

i just position the pieces oppossing, so the movement gets cancelled and it's worked for me very well for years.

I need to buy a moisture reader... i have been trusting too much on people...

• 4 weeks later...

Eddie, maple is one of the best neck timbers available, just takes a bit more effort to carve, with that in mind though once you've carved wenge you won't complain about maple!

I'm glad you got it sorted and I hope you pickup one if the moisture readers I put you onto as it'll pre solve a lot of your problems.

I am very happy to work with maple. I started building guitars in 2002, and it's just now that i really get to work with maple ( and alder) after all these years.

I have carved lots of purpleheart necks, i'm sure it'll be a breeze compared to it ;)

i do need to get one of of those moisture readers. As soon as i get my paypal/ebay account sorted out i will get it :)

Edited by eddiewarlock

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...